• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OC in Nevada

frodo0602

It is posted as Dinner at PTs.
When: Feb 18th at 6pm
Where: 5355 South Decatur Boulevard
Las Vegas, NV 89118

i found the post after i asked about it...thanks though! However i spoke too soon. Could find no babysitter this close. I did go out with wife and son this morning and OC. We went to Chili's on North Decatur. Then went across the street to walk around Wal-Mart. We were in Chili's for about an hour, no one said a word. In Wal-Mart for about 1.5 hrs. I was proud to "educate" 3 people asking questions about my OCing! One guy asked if i "ever catch any [crap] for open carrying?" This was at the gun/ammo counter so i wasn't surprised that he knew it was legal. He told me he had his CCW on the way, but had never OCed. I told him it was my first day and it was going okay at that point. I told him about OC.org and how much i learned here, encouraged him to join.

There were two other guys walking behind me later and heard them start chattering about me: Is that a taser? No i think that's a gun. Heard one guys say "well as long as he has a CCW..." At that point i turned around and began the edumacation! We chatted for a minute about what the requirements were. At the end they thanked me for the info and we all went about our business. I won't lie, felt GREAT!:lol:

So all went well today. I'm sorry i won't be able to make it to PT's tonight. Maybe on the next go around.

28kfps

i found the post after i asked about it...thanks though! However i spoke too soon. Could find no babysitter this close. I did go out with wife and son this morning and OC. We went to Chili's on North Decatur. Then went across the street to walk around Wal-Mart. We were in Chili's for about an hour, no one said a word. In Wal-Mart for about 1.5 hrs. I was proud to "educate" 3 people asking questions about my OCing! One guy asked if i "ever catch any [crap] for open carrying?" This was at the gun/ammo counter so i wasn't surprised that he knew it was legal. He told me he had his CCW on the way, but had never OCed. I told him it was my first day and it was going okay at that point. I told him about OC.org and how much i learned here, encouraged him to join.

There were two other guys walking behind me later and heard them start chattering about me: Is that a taser? No i think that's a gun. Heard one guys say "well as long as he has a CCW..." At that point i turned around and began the edumacation! We chatted for a minute about what the requirements were. At the end they thanked me for the info and we all went about our business. I won't lie, felt GREAT!:lol:

So all went well today. I'm sorry i won't be able to make it to PT's tonight. Maybe on the next go around.

Cool sounds like a nice day out. I know what you mean about the babysitting issue. My son is being babysat by my three grandkids.

Last edited:

ed2276

Saturday, I OC,d at PT's at the meetup. There were about 17 of us there. It was good to meet everyone. After my wife and I left PT's we went to Seafood City to do some shopping. No problems there. I walked by an armed security guard there, but he didn't even notice I was carrying. Then wifey and I went to Smith's on N. Durango/Elkhorn. No problems there either.

Sunday, I OC'd at Chow King at the Seafood City with my wife and son. Met my sister-in-law and her husband there. No problems. Later, OC'd at Walmart on Tropical in Centennial Hills for about 1 hour. No problems there.

I'm more comfortable OCing now. The fact that I have not had any bad encounters or otherwise had problems OCing has helped me to become more comfortable about it. But, I know the problems and encounters with business owners, customers, and cops are out there. It is, sadly, just a matter of time before something unpleasant happens. But so far, either people have noticed my firearm and have not reacted, or they have been oblivious to the fact that I am wearing a firearm on my hip. Either way, so far OCing has been a good experience for me.

The way it has been going for me so far is how it should go for all of us who OC, all the time. I hope it keeps going this way.

Last edited:

frodo0602

Military Police with wrong info

this is a little off thread, but wanted to tell you guys. First off, i think it's really crazy that LEO, who are supposed to UPHOLD THE LAW, don't even know what the laws are concerning OCing (i realize some do). With that said, i expected my military police to be a little more informed. i'm military and was in my local shopette. Asked a passing military police about carrying guns on base; my intent WAS to find out what regulations i must adhere to to carry my personal firearms on base. he responded, "i don't know about on base, but in Nevada as long as you have a CCW you can carry your guns in the vehicle." I gave him a puzzled look and told him "i don't think you're correct, you only need a CCW if you carry it concealed, on your person, in the vehicle. As long as it's not concealed, you don't need a CCW to have a firearm in the vehicle." He mumbled some stuff about not knowing for sure, but i pressed on with finding out the regs for base. He seemed hesitant to answer anything for sure so he took my email address and told me he'd find the regs governing on-base carry and would let me know.

So i was just shocked at how clueless this guy was. I wasn't mad and didn't respond in an arrogant manner or anything...i was just shocked. I mean this guy signed up to do this for a living. I know he doesn't police anyone off base, but he should still know! However i was, for the most part, ignorant until recently as well. But i haven't sworn to uphold the laws for the citizens of this state either. I guess i just expect them to know more...military police or civilian. Don't these guys have to get at least an Associates degree in criminal justice. Can anyone explain to me what training cops have to go through and why they don't know more about these OC laws?

Rollbar

If they know, then they can't be ignorant and stop you to try to get you on other things :lol:

A letter needs to be written from OC.Org ( or whatever group ) to these municipalities so they can train their officers etc.

Last edited:

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
...Can anyone explain to me what training cops have to go through...

Chain-of-command training.
Political correctness training.
Sensitivity training.

Not required:
Marksmanship
Escalation of force
Law

Okay, I'm tired and on my way to bed. Take this post as pure entertainment and in no way factual...

FallonJeeper

My experience (35 years on military bases) has shown me that Military police train on many of the same basic things that their civilian counterparts train on, with an emphasis on military law, the Uniform Code of Military Justice and security. Unlike their civilian counterparts they seldom see somebody open carrying on a military installation, because, for the most part, it’s forbidden. Military members and visitors usually have to check their weapons with security, before gaining access to the base, this usually includes base housing. At my current base NAS Fallon, if you live local, they won't allow you to check a gun. They'll tell you to take it home. This is due to manning. They have only one armorer and they changed the policy because they can't spare him to check guns.

So don’t be surprised to see an MP who doesn’t know the local gun laws. They are more concerned with vehicle inspections and base security than with whether you can open carry.

Last edited:

Tolerance

Yesterday I went to the Wal-Mart on Nellis and Craig. No issues here, one guy almost ran his cart into a clothes rack in the center of the aisle, I just gave him a smile. One of the gentlemen in the electronics department talked to me about carrying. Bought a box of ammo, the manager was very helpful, not concerned looking in the slightest.

After that I went to Best Buy on N. Decatur, wanted to buy a voice recorder but Wal-Mart was out. I had one or two people stare and whisper but other than that the employees didn't react at all, just helped me with m questions. Found a nice voice recorder for cheap, checked out.

Then I went to Target Off the 215 and Decatur(I've been trying to find one of those things you plug into the wall to get rid of roaches). As I was walking up to the entrance there was a very loud family who looked over at me and just abruptly got very quiet. A little bit uncomfortable, but the service desk lady was very nice and I still couldn't find what I was looking for...

Last, I went to Yoko Sushi on Rainbow. The people who worked there were very polite, glanced at my hip and then my face and must have decided I wasn't there to cause trouble. Dinner there was nice, good sushi.

franco0341

Smith's (Vegas and Jones)

Last night I had a very positive experience at Smith's. I bought my groceries and the customer service manager stepped in to bag my groceries at the register. The pretty cashier made small talk, as if I wasn't even carrying a weapon. Then I got into a good 2-3 minute conversation with the manager about 1911s cause he owned a PT 1911 (I own a Rock Island). On the way out, the cashier running the self-check machines smiled and said, "I wouldn't mess with you. Good on you for protecting yourself in this area"

28kfps

This weekend OC again in Las Vegas. Ended up in Bed Bath and Beyond buying a gift for a wedding. First person the wife and I met was the manager. Very friendly said can I help you, sure need to know where to go for the wedding registry? After getting the list and picking out what we wanted we met the manager again, near the items we were looking for and he ended up helping again. Your are not going to believe what he said about my firearm that he was within inches more than a few times. Not a word.

My wife is a very crafty person and I end up in such stores. This weekend in a bead store we frequent, not one issue with my firearm except this time. One of the workers female says hey what are packing loud enough to hear her clear across the shop. I told her the caliber as most that ask have no idea what a 40XDM is. She asked a 40 what? Therefore, I gave her the full name Spring Field 40XDM she says of course everyone wants a one of them. At this point I was just about to exit. I did not want to be rude and replied to the first two questions however felt by the way she was going on it was time to say bye and out the door.

Also had four visitors in our church today I recognized one that had visited us last year. He with his friends are doing some training at the Front Site facility. Our church is gun friendly however; this is the one time I do CC. After talking to the group for a very short time it was obvious, we were on the same side of the fence.

Later in the day, my wife and I were on our motorcycles filling up on gas and there the group was again. This time I was open carrying. They being from California, I said to bad the gun laws were so strict. One said well he could not carry here in Nevada. I said you sure can, you can open carry as I do most everywhere. He said out of state person can OC? I said yep. Told them about OC.org the one said to the other we can gear up before leaving the park lot of the hotel and head to the range. They were staying in Las Vegas. The one said he had all ready check out open carry dot org. It would be interesting to find out what the Front Site norm advice on OCing is.

Last edited:

28kfps

And yet, don't they require OC for all training?

I won a class there, but took the Practical Rifle.

I do not know for sure. Never been there. The videos I have seen they all were OCing. History tells us, OC training does not guarantee accurate or correct OC law info or creditable advice.

Las Vegan

Green Valley Grocery on Cimarron and W. Flamingo, where the Ethiopian ladies who work there always are polite and greet me with a smile; Sunflower Market on W. Flamingo and Rainbow, where everyone seems kind of... oblivious; Einstein Bagels on W. Flamingo and Rainbow, where the manager greets me by name. And this was all before 8:30 this morning.

yotetrapper

Discount Tires on Pyramid, everyone noticed I was carrying but no one said anything, all kind and courteous. Also the DMV on galletti(sp?). I don't know if they just didn't notice or if they didn't care, I was in and out in 10-15mins for a temp tag. I did see they had a no concealed weapons sign up but you actually had to Look for it.

DocWalker

Green Valley Grocery on Cimarron and W. Flamingo, where the Ethiopian ladies who work there always are polite and greet me with a smile; Sunflower Market on W. Flamingo and Rainbow, where everyone seems kind of... oblivious; Einstein Bagels on W. Flamingo and Rainbow, where the manager greets me by name. And this was all before 8:30 this morning.

It sounds like you don't stray from W. Flamigo often....lol

FallonJeeper

Adding some OC events/locations, no issues:

Jazz - Sparks
Best Buy - Sparks
Jack In The Box - Fallon. Young kid at the cash register saw my FNP .40 as asked if I was a cop. He had questions about permits and OC @ 18. I told him he could OC at 18 and CCW at 21. Then he reminded me that he couldn't buy a gun, from a gun store until 21.

Hey it's been a long time since I was 18. When I was 18, all the stuff we can now do at 21, I could at 18. So how can an 18 year old get a hand gun, besides the obvious loan and gift?