• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OC in Nevada

Craftymommy

I gotta say, it does attract some of the yahoos out there. Facebook in general is like that, I suppose. Still, I support craftymommy and think it's a good way to get ideas out there and coordinate stuff. I don't care for Facebook and because of some of the immaturity and general lack of dedication of some of the participants, I prefer this forum.

We try to get rid of the people that don't seem to do the page any good(false information and the like) and we are little selective on who we accept in the group as well. However yes every so often there is a person who thinks they are all that and a bag of chips. When they get to that point, they are gone. I don't put up with the nonsense especially right now!

Craftymommy

‘O’ no call the cops!!! Call the entire anti gun groups, must inform the public. The government must get involved to stop such legal activity.

We had somewhere around 30 men, woman and kids at a group dinner. Every adult had at least one firearm open carried. Michelle 8 months pregnant ocing a nicely hostler firearm with her two toddlers got some looks.
BJs restaurant was full with a waiting line as we walked to our reserved tables. Yep over twenty open carried firearms walking across the full restaurant and guess what? No one appeared to care. Sure there were a few surprised looks but that was it.
My wife and I had a great time. Food was great. Good laughs and great conversation for all. Shook hands with several I never meet before.
BJs staff could not have been more accommodating. They made sure to tell us as we left to come back. They did a great job of keeping the bill separated. Just our table group not counting tips total was just under $200. Guessing with everyone easily $500 was spent at this gun friendly business by our fellow open carryers.

Thanks again to Trebion for another well-organized open carry meet up.

It was a great night and good food! I had one nasty look when we were walking out. The lady glared at me and bent her head to the table to her drink, a little late since I already saw her face. I just smiled at her. Our next meet-up I will have the newest addition as well, making for an even bigger group!

garand_guy

Understand your frustration. I do miss your back up on the FB oc page. I believe many on the page is coming around and realizing there is those that know what they are talking about. For the hard headed ones I just encourage them to post on opencary.org if they want to get the best up to date info. Most of the hard headed ones eventual leave or stop posting. I would like to see your input on FB.

We try to get rid of the people that don't seem to do the page any good(false information and the like) and we are little selective on who we accept in the group as well. However yes every so often there is a person who thinks they are all that and a bag of chips. When they get to that point, they are gone. I don't put up with the nonsense especially right now!

Good to hear. I'm still not a fan of Facebook. Guess I'm too old for my age? Lol

28kfps

Open carried in Harbor Freight Eastern and Pecos. One of the workers walked up to asked if I needed any help finding anything. I replayed with no thank you. He then asked what I was carrying which opened up a conversation on firearm's and he said he carried and do not remember what. I asked him how old he was as he looked to young to have a CCW. I was correct he said he was 19. Said he OCed when not on the job. As I was checking out his shift was ending and he was leaving. As I was loading up my purchase I noticed he was carrying out in the parking lot next to his vehicle taking to one of the other workers. He said he knew of opencarry.org.

turborich

OC'ed while camping at Cave Lake state park, NV which is down the highway from Ely, NV. Also carried in town and at the old mines / mills we visited. I saw quite a few guys OCing in ELY. Much more than Vegas. No issues. At one point when we were out of the vehicle hiking up in the mountains we came across some kind of and old mine or storage locker? It had a huge heavy steel door that was opened about 1.5 foot but was stuck and couldn't be budged. There were several nearly complete deer remains (bones) around this shelter. As I approached the big steel door I had my firearm drawn just in case there was a mountain lion on the other side of the door. No mountain lion inside but there were more remains inside. Of course I would have only shot as a last resort. I think they are beautiful animals but it would have been me vs the cat if it charged me. Most of the wildlife is very skittish though.

Turbod'1

Items of note from this Labor Day weekend:

*Event 1*

Went to Mccarran airport to pickup my wife, who had leave from military training, and I debated OC as, from what I heard it should be no issue in the unsecured areas. I pulled into the garage and passed an unarmed security guard (I think, see more later) but had to pull over and retrieve my ipad from the trunk to make sure I was at the right terminal. As I'm rummaging through my bag he gets closer and I note over my shoulder that he had stopped and was kinda giving me the evil eye. I ignore him and prepare to get back in the car and note that he's still visually tracking me. I say, "It's not illegal" and he say's "I know, it's just that you can't stop here." Despite his words, his tone made me unsure that he knew anything about it and was possibly more concerned that I was armed and just spewed out the first thing he could think of.

Ultimately I decided not to risk being trespassed and instead decided to ask questions. Since I couldn't find a Police Officer or TSA Agent, I started with the information desk and questioned the lady as to whether I would be hassled for OC (I had to explain what that was) and she said that she didn't know anything about that. She was pleasant but really did seem clueless about OC or the airports policy (if any) on the subject.

Next up, I decide that maybe I'll go back to the car and retrieve my firearm and take my chances. On the way out, I decide to question the 'gatekeeper' [those that control the flow of through traffic and pedestrian traffic --human stop lights and taxi hailer's] who was wearing the same uniform as the guy in the garage. Again, I ask if there would be any issue legally OCing and he said "Yes, that's illegal.", with an incredulous look on his face as if I asked the worlds dumbest question. I said "So, you're saying that it's illegal?" and again he said "Yes, it is." to which I responded by saying "I don't think you have any idea what you're talking about." and walked away.

Again, still not seeking to be trespassed and not fully comfortable with testing the water, so to speak, I decided to just play sheep. :(

At this point I'm sure that I will draw criticism for even THINKING of asking 'permission', just keep in mind that by asking someone in a position of 'authority', I open them to a later recourse in which they will be held accountable, yes?

*edit*

I'll get to the rest later but they were more positive!

Last edited:

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
The WORST people to ask questions of are usually ones in any kind of uniform. Their high-enough bosses and other people who MIGHT have a clue don't wear uniforms.

Thank you for the reminder.

Vegassteve

I was hoping that you'd respond. I also hoped that it would be more constructive. Hope = denial of reality. :uhoh: :lol:

This has been covered on this forum before. In the unsecured areas it is perfectly legal to OC. Asking a mall cop, tsa thug, or old bag at the info desk will never yield the correct answer on the law. None of those people are half as versed on the law as 90% of us on this forum.

Turbod'1

This has been covered on this forum before. In the unsecured areas it is perfectly legal to OC. Asking a mall cop, tsa thug, or old bag at the info desk will never yield the correct answer on the law. None of those people are half as versed on the law as 90% of us on this forum.

My point remains: Everyone is new at some point (not that I am in terms of OC - been doing this for over a year now in NV) but the "Airport" thread just stalled and made the OP look like a tool for asking.

Is not education part of the goal here? I got nothing out of that thread that would make me confident that I could 'pull it off'.

Look, I get it, saying the same thing over and over might get old... and yet again, there will always be people that haven't tested what you did; if it's not going to be constructive, why not just let it go...?

It's almost like people here are looking for a TEST case (as long as it's someone else) and yes Mac, I know you offer to testify if one isn't breaking the law, but again, with all the ignorant people about, it could go badly and cost a lot to people like me.

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
I was hoping that you'd respond. I also hoped that it would be more constructive. Hope = denial of reality. :uhoh: :lol:

Actually, I thought you did okay. Everyone must read each situation for themselves and determine their own level of comfort in how they wish to proceed, especially after drawing attention. The fact remains that you questioned them, and perhaps they might look it up later. All I could do was sincerely thank you for the reminder that a uniformed hall monitor is a bad source of information. I apologize if it came off as sarcasm, as that was not the intent.

You'll have to cite the thread where an OP was treated poorly for an airport question, as I don't remember one.

Last edited:

qednick

My point remains: Everyone is new at some point (not that I am in terms of OC - been doing this for over a year now in NV) but the "Airport" thread just stalled and made the OP look like a tool for asking.

Not sure if you mean my thread: http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/showthread.php?123675-OC-at-LV-airport-baggage-claim-clarification

If so, I didn't at all think I was made to look like a tool for asking :) Especially since the "search" function on this site doesn't seem to be working for me. Anyhoo, it's a good 2.5 months before I'll be there at Maccarran but I will definitely OC while there. :) Just bought me a new holster for the trip too!

In fact, was wondering if there might be any meetups in or around LV during Thanksgiving Week?

Also, wondered what OC friendly ranges there are in that area? One of the folks I'm picking up from Maccarran is my brother who's flying in from the (gun free) UK and the first thing he always asks me when he visits is when/where he can go shooting.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
--snipped--

If so, I didn't at all think I was made to look like a tool for asking :) Especially since the "search" function on this site doesn't seem to be working for me.

Start with Advance Search (top right), then select Single Search function - not the best, but it does work well enough.

qednick

Start with Advance Search (top right), then select Single Search function - not the best, but it does work well enough.

Thanks Grapeshot but it still doesn't work for me. Don't know if it's related to it not working but the Advanced Search page is showing these php warning messages at the top of the web page:

Warning: Declaration of vBForum_Item_SocialGroupMessage::getLoadQuery() should be compatible with that of vB_Model::getLoadQuery() in ..../packages/vbforum/item/socialgroupmessage.php on line 261

Warning: Declaration of vBForum_Item_SocialGroupDiscussion::getLoadQuery() should be compatible with that of vB_Model::getLoadQuery() in ..../packages/vbforum/item/socialgroupdiscussion.php on line 337

It's almost like people here are looking for a TEST case (as long as it's someone else) and yes Mac, I know you offer to testify if one isn't breaking the law, but again, with all the ignorant people about, it could go badly and cost a lot to people like me.

I understand Turbod'1... I plan to look as inconspicious as possible... but I'm more than willing to "test" it since the more of us that do, the more it becomes "normalized". Also, they sell handy audio/video recorders on ebay that can be clipped on your shirt or even ones that are "pens" with pinhole cameras that sit in a shirt pocket--very cheap--like 10-15 bucks. Highly recommended for whenever you're in a situation where you're worried about having your rights violated or anything.
I also got a miniature dash cam off ebay for $30. Very discreet, I fastened it permanently up by my rear view mirror and wired it into the power so that it turns on automatically when I start the car. You wouldn't believe how good the quality is at 720p. Very highly recommended!

Turbod'1

Okay, perhaps 'tool' was a bit harsh, rather that I meant it didn't seem to go anywhere. My bad!

I also got a miniature dash cam off ebay for $30. Very discreet, I fastened it permanently up by my rear view mirror and wired it into the power so that it turns on automatically when I start the car. You wouldn't believe how good the quality is at 720p. Very highly recommended!

Actually, I just ordered one of those yesterday. :)

Turbod'1

*Event 2+

Since these are related and in North Las Vegas near Nellis AFB, I'll combine them as a single event.

IHOP: On the way to being seated we passed an older couple and the guy did a double take and looked in our direction for quite awhile before he seemed to settle down. No further issue.

McDonalds: Several people observed my carry but no one seemed concerned. As we were eating, no less than 3 large vans showed up and deposited about 30 Pakistani looking folk. I drew some curious looks while getting a soda re-fill and, this might sound lame but I recall thinking "'Murica!". I related to my wife the story of the Japanese WWII General who said that it would be insane to try and invade the mainland US as 'You'd find a gun behind every blade of grass'. :D

Wallmart: Unarmed security working as 'Greeter' appeared to observe my carry and didn't bat an eye.

*Final Event*

7-11 on Warm Springs: Enter behind an unarmed security guard either on his way to work or going home. While I'm getting my goods I hear him and the cashier talking about something in which she says 'I don't know how it works here but in California they're supposed to pay you for at least 4 hours...' --from that, I keenly noted that she is from California. :) Anyway, as I stroll up, he glances at me and it's obvious that he doesn't see that I'm OC, finishes his business and leaves. The cashier, as she's ringing me up DOES notice and (in a somewhat typical fashion) asks if I'm a police officer to which I laugh and say that I'm just a regular guy. She laughs and my tab comes up to $15.12. I'm like, "Dang, I don't have .12" and she says that she does. I'm like "You gonna hook me up?" and she says 'Gotta take care of regular guys!" and laughs.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Thanks Grapeshot but it still doesn't work for me. Don't know if it's related to it not working but the Advanced Search page is showing these php warning messages at the top of the web page.........--snipped--

John fixed a vBulletin error caused by an update. Search function should work again.

DON`T TREAD ON ME

I think I might have been one of the first (in recent years) to post on here about going to the airport OC. I picked my friend up, (happens to be a lawyer) And it got nerve wracking about half way through. Looking for confirmation like you did, is a symptom of the stress you were under. I am proud, you did what few will. I have tested a lot of waters in the OC arena... Cop shops DMV etc. I will say this. If you ever get nervous, Find a bag to carry in front of your gun, (or bring one with) and get out. It is always acceptable to try again another day.

When you OC, If you are confident... people tend to pick up on it and support. (most are sheep remember?) When you show a lack of confidence, The chances of you being targeted greatly increase. When going into a sensitive area like an airport, I always made sure I recognized my right to be there OC, was slightly above my right to breath.... It worked reasonably well. Thank you!

Turbod'1

I think I might have been one of the first (in recent years) to post on here about going to the airport OC. I picked my friend up, (happens to be a lawyer) And it got nerve wracking about half way through. Looking for confirmation like you did, is a symptom of the stress you were under. I am proud, you did what few will. I have tested a lot of waters in the OC arena... Cop shops DMV etc. I will say this. If you ever get nervous, Find a bag to carry in front of your gun, (or bring one with) and get out. It is always acceptable to try again another day.

When you OC, If you are confident... people tend to pick up on it and support. (most are sheep remember?) When you show a lack of confidence, The chances of you being targeted greatly increase. When going into a sensitive area like an airport, I always made sure I recognized my right to be there OC, was slightly above my right to breath.... It worked reasonably well. Thank you!

In my experience, either people don't notice, don't care or ask me if I'm a cop (I have the look I suppose)... part of which is I do tend to exude confidence (armed or not) and am generally affable.

The bag thing is a nice tip. :)

garand_guy

a uniformed hall monitor is a bad source of information.

Whoa, let's not beat up on those esteemed public servants keeping our airways safe from dangerous, high-capacity beverage containers. :lol:

About the airport, Nevada's law is poorly written. They probably intended to ban all guns from such places, but didn't think anyone would consider OCing. Oh well, idiots, our advantage. I'd only limit the secure area to no guns (and use actual security measures).

About the test case thing; nobody wants to be one. Rosa Parks just wanted to rest her feet. I'd hate to be one either, but everybody in the community will come jumping. I bet a 2A friendly lawyer would make a deal too.

In my 'activism', I live my daily life. I conceal when I feel like it or it's appropriate, but I prefer to OC. If I OC at the library, fine. If I go after work and don't carry either, that's fine too. This is about me and my life. It's my lifestyle to protect myself when I can. I have the right to open carry just about anywhere and I will. If people don't like it, tough. If they want to argue, tough; I'm better schooled on the topic. If I have to deal with the police, I'd hope they would be professional and educated enough to either side with me, or listen to reason. And as far as Metro and Henderson go, I think that enough members have made the effort to get them to recognize the earlier errors of their ways for the most part.

I don't go out looking to make a scene. I live my life. It's normal, it's natural, and it's legal. Yeah, I get nervous when somebody gets stupid with me or confronts me, but I just stay calm and handle it. My advice: live your life and carry on. Don't sweat it. If you feel comfortable, great. If not, don't worry about it (either carrying or people saying stuff). Like people say, it's all about attitude. Nobody is really going to think the guy confidently carrying is up to no good; it's the shady looking gun constantly tugging on his pants. Idiots aside, people do recognize the difference.