• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OC in Nevada

turborich

I usually OC my little Kel-Tec P3AT. It's small and to be honest I don't think many people notice it. Yesterday I decided to OC my Glock 17 and what a difference. I received quite a few comments.

I went into the Terrible Herbst located at Nellis & Charleston. The cashier said that he would be extra polite since I had my "strap" on me. I just looked at him and said, "what are you talking about?" He claimed that most people who carry "straps" are crazy and some are drunk as well. I just looked at him and said "No, not at all" He was a black gentleman and this was around 11:00 PM. I told him to have a good night and that was it.

I also had a guy approach me outside at the pump, he was talking constantly and I'm pretty sure he was on speed. He seemed to be fascinated with my gun and just kept talking about everything imaginable. He was originally in front of me in line and asked for $2.00 of gas. I made sure to keep my distance and left in a hurry.

If you are ever out around this time on Nellis Blvd you will see all kinds of crazy nut jobs walking around who appear to be up to no good. The closer you get to the weekly "suites" near Boulder Hwy the worse the people seem to get. The majority of them appeared to be high on something and couldn't stop moving around. The police should really do something about this.

I went to a bunch of other places earlier in the day and not anything was said. The crazies come out at night. :shocker:

vegaspassat

Re: NV OC - how did it go?

I went to the walmart on rainbow near the 215 looking for a swim suite and some ammo. Got into a friendly cpnversation with a guy waiting at the ammo cou ter with me and come to find out he had met Dave Stillwell at a TA on town and knew about guerilla lawfare. SMALL WORLD!

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

Yard Sale

If you are ever out around this time on Nellis Blvd you will see all kinds of crazy nut jobs walking around who appear to be up to no good. The closer you get to the weekly "suites" near Boulder Hwy the worse the people seem to get. The majority of them appeared to be high on something and couldn't stop moving around. The police should really do something about this.
If you are ever out around the time of an OC get-together on the Strip you will see all kinds of crazy nut jobs with guns walking around who appear to be up to no good. The police should really do something about this. Because I don't like how some other people behave in public, even though the behavior isn't prohibited by law, I think the police should crack down on them.

turborich

If you are ever out around the time of an OC get-together on the Strip you will see all kinds of crazy nut jobs with guns walking around who appear to be up to no good. The police should really do something about this. Because I don't like how some other people behave in public, even though the behavior isn't prohibited by law, I think the police should crack down on them.

I have no idea what you are trying to say? Are you trying to compare law abiding folks to those who are high on a controlled substance? :question:

Harley

Not everybody in that area is "up to no good". EVERY neighborhood has its share of good and bad people.

turborich

This may be true however this area has a much higher than "normal" rate of crack heads, tweekers and criminals in general. Any area with those extended stay suites attracts a bunch of garbage. It's just a fact.

mp06011999

This may be true however this area has a much higher than "normal" rate of crack heads, tweekers and criminals in general. Any area with those extended stay suites attracts a bunch of garbage. It's just a fact.

Shoot 'em. That'll teach 'em.

Sorry, just saw this off topic post and had to jump in.

Hey, hey, hey now. Laugh a little. Like Ellen says, "Be good to each other". (I'm just making silly hoping all will 'move on':)

28kfps

Almost once a week in Pahrump I see at least one other OCer. Just recently, there were 5 persons OCing at the same time in the Pahrump Wal-Mart. Finally happened to me in Las Vegas. Not sure if this counts, the other OCer I saw was in an AM-PM Durango and Fort Apache he was wearing an all black uniform with Range on the shirt. Someone can correct me however; I believe that is what the range workers at Range702 wear. Nonetheless, two of us open carrying in same place in Vegas.

jdholmes

NV OC - how did it go?

Walmart at sunset and marks
GameStop at sunset and marks
BestBuy at Sunset and Marks
Target at Sunset and Stephanie

Received employee assistance at all locations with no problems or odd behavior.

My firearm did get a hilarious, frowning, long gawk from a late teen/early twenties kid who was leaving Walmart as I came in.

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
Another fine brew (or two) at PT's. While it was probably the bar talk about permanent wound channels and energy transfer that got his attention, VegasPassat and I had a nice conversation with another patron who wanted to know about self-defense for his teenage nieces.

Despite drinking in a bar with a red, white, blue, and stainless steel revolver on my hip, I didn't even get in trouble for wearing a Seattle Seahawks shirt.

b0neZ

Yes but have you tried to return since that unfortunate incident? :p

Hey, could have been worse. He could have worn a KC Chiefs shirt! :D

To keep on topic: OC'ed to Fallon Wal-Mart yesterday. Noticed a couple of looks and got one "Is that a Ruger?".

All in all, obviously uneventful.

bigguyswife

Hey, they won 2 games last season....it could have been worse! I proudly open carry wearing my KC Chiefs shirt! At least they beat the Big Guy's team in the Superbowl IV!

Stephanie
the big guys wife
Proud KC Chiefs fan!

b0neZ

Hey, they won 2 games last season....it could have been worse! I proudly open carry wearing my KC Chiefs shirt! At least they beat the Big Guy's team in the Superbowl IV!

Stephanie
the big guys wife
Proud KC Chiefs fan!

Yes, they did win two games last season, I can't deny that. However, that only helps to prove the old saying, "Even a broken clock is right twice a day".

I kid! I kid!

A good friend of mine lives in KC and is a proud Chiefs fan. He keeps saying "We're going to the Super Bowl this year!". I always respond by asking him how many years he's been saying that for.

It's purely done out of friendship, though.

If I knew any Bengals fans I'd pick on them and leave KC alone, as I do believe the Chiefs can do great things, but for some reason just can't get it together.

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
Was OC'ing the 1911 for the Vintage Military Rifle Silhouette match at Boulder City. I won a silver dollar shooting my US M1 rifle at 200-900 meters. Windy day, too; I had to redope the windage for every stage. The Kimber in Kydex is quite comfortable, even when shooting prone.

Stayed OC while I crawled on a roof afterward to replace an air conditioner motor. The customer found me through the Nevada Shooters website, so I didn't figure he'd care. He was up there with me helping me in the wind, too, and never even mentioned it.

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
Got my first ever "Is that a real gun?" question this evening at the self-check-out at Home Depot on Ft. Apache/Flamingo.

"Yes, absolutely!"
"What do you use it for?"
"I hope I never need to use it."
"So why do you carry it?"
"Same reason a police officer carries one."
"Oh! So you are a policeman."
"No, I said I carry for the same reason."
"So you do security work."
"No, I'm just your average everyday normal guy."

Believe it or not, I'm not a great conversationalist. It wasn't that curt, and there were breaks in the conversation as she had to talk to other people, and I was in a real hurry to get back to the job, so we didn't really have the ability to talk much, but it was a pleasant interchange, and she got to see that a normal nice-dressed fellow was carrying a gun, paid cash for his items, and left normally. I thought about giving her my card, but I didn't want her to get the impression that I carry because I am a firearms instructor or that that is what makes it okay for me to carry. Maybe now I'll finally print out some OC flyers and keep one handy. This is the first time anyone has ever struck up a conversation about it outside of a gun shop or range.

I was carrying the Kimber 1911 .45 in Kydex.

I was there because I needed a part to repair a security light at a client's house. This is a recent client that hired me to install security lighting after she was attacked and injured in her driveway in a fairly decent part of town. I was recommended as the electrician and I talked to her about other good ideas for defense as well. She is keen on learning how to shoot firearms and acquiring one. She is a British citizen (permanent resident here), so it's a new concept for her that this is normal around here, and she's finding out more and more from others that she meets that they are carrying guns, too. So since she now knows I teach firearms and carry, I was OC this time when I showed up. As I was adjusting the sensors on the lights (they needed final adjustments after dark) she comes out with her visiting parents in tow. No one mentioned the sidearm, but I'll bet they were asking her about it while I was at the store for a new part. While finishing the repair, she asks: "You just walked into Home Depot like that?" After affirming it, she gave a "that's crazy!" in a manner of incredulity instead of questioning my sanity. She's coming around very quickly that this is a great state for being armed and not defenseless. She is having me return for more security lights in the back later in the week.

I was carrying the big stainless .45 revolver with the colored grips during an instruction session at the range in the afternoon, but that doesn't really count; does it?

Last edited:

mp06011999

Got my first ever "Is that a real gun?" question this evening at the self-check-out at Home Depot on Ft. Apache/Flamingo.

"Yes, absolutely!"
"What do you use it for?"
"I hope I never need to use it."
"So why do you carry it?"
"Same reason a police officer carries one."
"Oh! So you are a policeman."
"No, I said I carry for the same reason."
"So you do security work."
"No, I'm just your average everyday normal guy."...

People just love to jump to conclusions. I think it's the #1 reason for so many "Three's Company" moments. And for those of you under 40, that means "misunderstandings".

My favorite one that I get is, "But aren't you just asking for trouble open carrying like that?" Uh, you mean as opposed to letting the bad guys think I'm defenseless? Come again? :banghead:

Last edited: