• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OC in Nevada

FallonJeeper

Northern Nevada Open Carry Experiences

I compiled this list of Friendly/Unfriendly/Questionable businesses on another web site. Thought I'd share them here

Friendly:
Fallon - Pizza Barn, Ristorante Don Julio's, Sandwinds, The Wok

Fernley - Sushi Moto, McDonalds

Reno/Sparks - Si Amigos, Tha Joint, Starbucks, MacCabee Arms Ltd., Sportsman's Warehouse, Qdoba's, True Value (Lemmon Dr), Applebee's, Ross, BJ's Nevada Barbecue Company, Big 5 Sports, Famous Daves, Denny's (Plumb Ln), Rickshaw Sushi, Cabela's - Recently moved from the not friendly list. Member spoke with Loss Precention (security) and got an ok.

Spanish Springs - Michaels

Not friendly:
Scheels
Peets Coffee
Legends Shopping Center

Questionable:
Wal Mart - The stores in Fallon and Fernley and the one near Grand Sierra Resort in Reno have asked customers to leave, While the Walmart on Pyramid and Spanish Springs was ok. Corporate policy is to follow the state laws. Doesn't mean the anti-gun manager knows what the laws are. Keep an eye on these.

Dodoandduck

First OC

I've OC'd around the neighborhood a few times, getting mail and walking the dog. OC'd for the first time Christmas Eve to Kmart on Boulder Hwy and Racetrack. There had been some assault and battery w/gun and person with gun alerts from Alertid. No problems at all. Clerk noticed but said nothing.

The Big Guy

I've OC'd around the neighborhood a few times, getting mail and walking the dog. OC'd for the first time Christmas Eve to Kmart on Boulder Hwy and Racetrack. There had been some assault and battery w/gun and person with gun alerts from Alertid. No problems at all. Clerk noticed but said nothing.

Welcome. They are used to me being in that Kmart on a very regular basis (amazing how many socks and underwear kids go through). I live not too far from it. I think you will find Henderson very accommodating to OC's.

TBG

greengum

I oc'ed all through Henderson this week doing X-mas shopping. Gallaria mall: Kay, random engraving stand, and hot dog on a stick (lemonade is sooo good) only one interaction kind of. I was with my sisters as we passed a group of early 20's guys. One kept staring at my gun and he said really loud "DAMN THAT N*&^&R got a gat yo!" We were too far away to engage in a discussion so I kept walking. I have been called many things here in Vegas but that was a first for the N word.

Burlington coat factory, the linen place next door to them, Target, Office depot, and walmart all no issues again. I then ventured out of the city to the greatest store ever conceived in the history of mankind, frys. I always OC at fry's and i usually get a look or two. This time is was a Latino gentleman sporting the prison look, looked like an extra from the movie stand and deliver from 1987. Anyways he was standing next to me at checkout and kept staring. He then motioned for his friends to take a look. I offered a hearty "hello". He did not respond which made things even more awkward. I got my change and wished him a merry x-mas and left.

Edit, English is hard.

Last edited:

Felid`Maximus

Activist Member
Wal Mart ... the one near Grand Sierra Resort in Reno have asked customers to leave...

Just so everyone is aware, that Wa|mart near the Grand Sierra Resort is on tribal land. I called the Tribal police, and the person I got ahold of initially made it sound like there were no guns allowed without a tribe issued permit, but later in my discussions she said they aren't enforcing tribal gun laws against people who are not tribe members, if I recall the discussion correctly. However, that's just what I was told verbally, and I don't know of any place where the actual tribal laws can be read.

Last edited:

The Big Guy

Just so everyone is aware, that Wa|mart near the Grand Sierra Resort is on tribal land. I called the Tribal police, and the person I got ahold of initially made it sound like there were no guns allowed without a tribe issued permit, but later in my discussions she said they aren't enforcing tribal gun laws against people who are not tribe members, if I recall the discussion correctly. However, that's just what I was told verbally, and I don't know of any place where the actual tribal laws can be read.

I think there has been discussion of this topic on here before. My memory, using what brain stem I have left, was that those laws only could be enforced against Tribal members. I'm sure someone will give us the whole story. Perhaps a letter to Wally World is in order.

TBG

FallonJeeper

Many of the Tribal Regulations for Pyramid Lake are in a PDF document at this link: http://plpt.nsn.us/rangers/PLPTRegulations2008.pdf not sure if it covers this land.

Page 18, paragraph 26.1 Firearms states "No firearms are permitted to be transported by non-Tribal members onto the Reservation or possessed or used by non-Tribal members within the exterior boundaries of the Reservation. Special Permits Requests can be approved by Tribal Council"

Paragraph 1.28.1 states that "All Tribal Police Officers, Tribal Rangers and Federal Law Enforcement Officers are herewith granted the authority to enforce the provisions of this code"

Indian reservations are not "governed" by the federal government. They are a "sovereign nation". That means they have their own government, and the lands aren't federal lands, they're tribal lands.

Federal law enforcement does claim jurisdiction for some crimes committed on Indian reservations, particularly the FBI. This jurisdiction becomes muddier when you break it down by victimless or native vs. non-native. Also consider tribal agreements with local and federal agencies.

I never shop at that Wal-Mart. You never know what the encounter will be, depending on who's working that day, you get a different answer. You don't know if you'll be able to open carry, be asked to leave, or get arrested.

I don't want to be charged with trespass, and certainly don't want to break any tribal laws, enforceable by federal agencies, while just testing the waters to see if I can open carry in their store. There are plenty of other Wal-Marts I can shop at.

Last edited:

28kfps

Today in Las Vegas OCed in Best Buy and Office Max near Charleston and the 215. OCed Petsmart, Sam’s Club, and Chills 215 at rainbow. No issues at all.

timf343

Campaign Veteran
I was open carrying on Flamingo & Maryland this afternoon to protest Metro's aggressive enforcement of the new cell phone law. I was joined by 10-15 BOLT members from around the country who were all also open carrying. There were more than a dozen police officers around writing tickets, including three uniformed officers who were assigned to sit and watch us the whole time.

Last edited:

Michelle NWArms

First time OC in a long time

Went to FireHouse Subs, CVS and walk to mailbox. Got some looks at FireHouse subs by patrons but not problems. At CVS, they were very chatty - all positive. Will try Home Depot today and maybe get some coffee.

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
Went to FireHouse Subs, CVS and walk to mailbox. Got some looks at FireHouse subs by patrons but not problems. At CVS, they were very chatty - all positive. Will try Home Depot today and maybe get some coffee.

Welcome! Yet another gun store I need to get across town to go see! Can we assume OC is fine in your store?

Vegassteve

Welcome! Yet another gun store I need to get across town to go see! Can we assume OC is fine in your store?

When NW arms opened I sent them a email through FB and they replied yes it is welcome. They have been great to me no issues, very friendly great service.

FallonJeeper

Today went smoothly.... OCed at Meadowood Mall, about 30mins. in Helzberg Diamonds, Sportsman's Warehouse, Bank of America on Pyramid Hwy (that got the butterflys flapping a little bit :D ), and Pack N' Post (on Pyramid).... Not one Question or comment, overall, a great day :banana:

I always check the entrance for signs indicating no firearms. I have only seen one sign at Meadowoods Mall, that said no firearms allowed, and that was at the food court entrance. Mind you, it was covered with one of those yellow wet floor signs, but it was there. I haven't checked the individual department store entrances or the other entrances at the mall.

ssdsam2

Today went smoothly.... OCed at Meadowood Mall, about 30mins. in Helzberg Diamonds, Sportsman's Warehouse, Bank of America on Pyramid Hwy (that got the butterflys flapping a little bit :D ), and Pack N' Post (on Pyramid).... Not one Question or comment, overall, a great day :banana:

i was at Meadowood Mall 2 mouths ago. and security yelled at me for haveing my bock knife. so i will go soon and see if they yelled at me for a 2 time.

FallonJeeper

i was at Meadowood Mall 2 mouths ago. and security yelled at me for haveing my bock knife. so i will go soon and see if they yelled at me for a 2 time.

This is one of those places where I lock my stuff up in the vehicle and get in/out as quickly as possible. This mall doesn't seem to have a strong security presence. I rarely see security. Although, I'm sure if was OC they would see me.

The Big Guy

Wells Fargo, Water Street, Henderson.

I guess all things considered this was not such a big deal, but it made me angry.

I was in the bank around noon today. I had gone through the drive through and they would not cash my check, to large, and told me I had to come into the bank to complete the transaction. Because of this I was already in a bad mood. As I was standing at the cage conducting my business I heard the employee in the cubical next to me say the following (he was on the phone), "Oh, I'm sorry, I was just looking at a guy in here with a gun. No, we have thick plastic barriers." He said this loud enough that anyone in the teller lines would have heard him. I just simply turned and stared at him, glared actually. If a young black man could turn three shades of red, it was him. I thought about talking to the branch manager about it, but I really was in a big hurry. Had there been anyone else in line, he could have caused a panic. People these days just are not taught to think before engaging mouth.

TBG

FallonJeeper

Any Information on Storey County/Virginia City?

Anybody heard or know of any restrictions in VC? Somebody mentioned it at work today. I'd never heard of this before. Can't find anything on-line.

I've OC'd there before with no issues. A buddy of mine on another forum, tells me the Sheriff is an a$$ and wants to make his own rules.

wrightme

I compiled this list of Friendly/Unfriendly/Questionable businesses on another web site. Thought I'd share them here

Friendly:
Fallon - Pizza Barn, Ristorante Don Julio's, Sandwinds, The Wok
Add - Big R, Louie's, Radio Shack, Jerry's
FallonJeeper said:
Questionable:
Wal Mart - The stores in Fallon and Fernley and the one near Grand Sierra Resort in Reno have asked customers to leave, While the Walmart on Pyramid and Spanish Springs was ok. Corporate policy is to follow the state laws. Doesn't mean the anti-gun manager knows what the laws are. Keep an eye on these.

I OC whenever possible at Fallon Walmart, and have NEVER been even approached, or noticed any looks.