• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OC in Nevada

ssdsam2

well I have been ocing for the pass 45 minutes on s Virginia st. Had a taxi driver ask is that a real gun. I said yes it's a glock. He gos wow you can carry in town without a gun permit. So I let him know you can indeed. He been here in Reno for 22 years and never seen any one. Oc. So I said wow. So that's my day so far.

ed2276

I open carried at the Albertson's on Durango near the 95 in Centennial Hills. Spent about 20 minutes in the store shopping with my wife. I didn't get any reaction from shoppers or employees, probably because none of them noticed I was carrying. However......sigh.....I did run into one problem: My wife!

It began at home. I came down the stairs wearing my gun and spare magazine and the look on her face was one of shock. She asked me why I was wearing gun. I told her because we were going out and it was for our protection. She said, you don't have to wear the gun, nothing will happen. She looked worried. I told her you never know when you will need to have protection on hand. Anything can happen, anytime, anywhere. It is best to have the gun for protection and not need it than to need it and not have it. She was unconvinced.

She told me to cover up the gun. I explained that I couldn't do that legally because I don't have a concealed carry permit. I said it was perfectly legal for me to carry this way, and many people here in Las Vegas do. She said she had never seen anyone but me carrying a gun openly. So, off we went to the store.

On the drive there, she told me she was scared that I had the gun. I explained that there is nothing to fear. I am in control of the gun; it won't jump out of the holster by itself and start shooting. She still said she was afraid. I again explained about carrying for protection and related to her instances where crazies had walked into restaurants, etc. and began to randomly execute people. I told her if only someone, or several someones like me, would have been armed they could have taken out the bad guys and saved dozens of lives. She was silent for the rest of the drive to the store.

When we arrived, I looked at the front of the store to make sure there were no signs prohibiting guns. There were none, so I walked inside and got a shopping cart. My wife still looked very unhappy with me. We began to shop, with me pushing the cart, then it happened...and it broke my heart...my wife separated from me and left me in the dust. She just didn't want to be around me carrying the gun inside the store. That hurt.

Anyway, toward the end of our shopping she stayed with me as we shopped and seemed to relax a bit.

We went to check out. None of the employees seemed to notice I was carrying, but I think the guy in line behind me saw my gun. I never looked directly at him, but out of my peripheral vision it looked like he hesitated for a split second while placing his items on the conveyor, and he seemed to be looking toward my left hip, where my weapon was holstered. He didn't say a word to me.

I finished paying for the groceries and my wife and I went back to our car and headed home. All the way back home she was silent.

When I got home, I put my gun away and she seemed to relax.

The Big Guy

I open carried at the Albertson's on Durango near the 95 in Centennial Hills. Spent about 20 minutes in the store shopping with my wife. I didn't get any reaction from shoppers or employees, probably because none of them noticed I was carrying. However......sigh.....I did run into one problem: My wife!

It began at home. I came down the stairs wearing my gun and spare magazine and the look on her face was one of shock. She asked me why I was wearing gun. I told her because we were going out and it was for our protection. She said, you don't have to wear the gun, nothing will happen. She looked worried. I told her you never know when you will need to have protection on hand. Anything can happen, anytime, anywhere. It is best to have the gun for protection and not need it than to need it and not have it. She was unconvinced.

She told me to cover up the gun. I explained that I couldn't do that legally because I don't have a concealed carry permit. I said it was perfectly legal for me to carry this way, and many people here in Las Vegas do. She said she had never seen anyone but me carrying a gun openly. So, off we went to the store.

On the drive there, she told me she was scared that I had the gun. I explained that there is nothing to fear. I am in control of the gun; it won't jump out of the holster by itself and start shooting. She still said she was afraid. I again explained about carrying for protection and related to her instances where crazies had walked into restaurants, etc. and began to randomly execute people. I told her if only someone, or several someones like me, would have been armed they could have taken out the bad guys and saved dozens of lives. She was silent for the rest of the drive to the store.

When we arrived, I looked at the front of the store to make sure there were no signs prohibiting guns. There were none, so I walked inside and got a shopping cart. My wife still looked very unhappy with me. We began to shop, with me pushing the cart, then it happened...and it broke my heart...my wife separated from me and left me in the dust. She just didn't want to be around me carrying the gun inside the store. That hurt.

Anyway, toward the end of our shopping she stayed with me as we shopped and seemed to relax a bit.

We went to check out. None of the employees seemed to notice I was carrying, but I think the guy in line behind me saw my gun. I never looked directly at him, but out of my peripheral vision it looked like he hesitated for a split second while placing his items on the conveyor, and he seemed to be looking toward my left hip, where my weapon was holstered. He didn't say a word to me.

I finished paying for the groceries and my wife and I went back to our car and headed home. All the way back home she was silent.

This is not uncommon. My wife was hesitant at first, now she carries too...

TBG

BGreenberg

I OC most of the time here in Brevard, NC

Went to Ingles Grocery store today as I have many times before. For the first time, 3 employees (who have seen me carry before) asked me about getting permits. They were shocked to find out OC was legal here in NC. Gotta educate the public and the police every day!

28kfps

Thanks for sharing such a personal story. My always wife felt safer when I am carrying however, for over 15 years it was concealed. When we got ready to leave the house, she often would ask me if I had Betsy with me. In the old Daniel Boone series, Fess Parker called his rifle Betsy. I sure everyone has seen the series.
When I decided to start open carrying my wife also was not too happy however, after a while she realized most pay it no mind. She still prefers I carry it concealed however is ok with it open. I open carry 99% of the time we are out. Even though I have a CCW, I just feel safer with it open. If your wife is willing, I believe in time she will realize most do not care. If she is willing to read some of the open carry stories, it might help calm her concerns.

Last edited:

ed2276

Thanks for sharing such a personal story. My always wife felt safer when I am carrying however, for over 15 years it was concealed. When we got ready to leave the house, she often would ask me if I had Betsy with me. In the old Daniel Boone series, Fess Parker called his rifle Betsy. I sure everyone has seen the series.
When I decided to start open carrying my wife also was not too happy however, after a while she realized most pay it no mind. She still prefers I carry it concealed however is ok with it open. I open carry 99% of the time we are out. Even though I have a CCW, I just feel safer with it open. If your wife is willing, I believe in time she will realize most do not care. If she is willing to read some of the open carry stories, it might help calm her concerns.

I'm kinda glad to hear I am not the only one with a wife who felt as mine does. I don't see her ever carrying, but in time she might get used to me doing it.

I did watch Daniel Boone as a kid, but I didn't remember that he named his rifle Betsy.

Dodoandduck

My wife had a similar reaction. I haven't OC'd much when we've gone somewhere together (rarely get time together) and when I have I don't think she's noticed. She understands the legality and I intend to get my CCW soon. She was pretty against it, almost mocking, at first. Now shes anxious because our next purchase will be a .38 which she wants to use as her carry weapon.

FallonJeeper

Had dinner at Kim Lee's Sushi place in Dayton. Lyon County Deputies were in and out of there. Glanced at me and my holstered weapon and didn't bat an eye. Employee asked me if I was a police officer. I chuckled and said, "Do I need to be?" He chuckled back and said no, but if I was law enforcement, I could get a discount. Overall a good experience. No customers freaking out, although I did get a couple looks. The staff were really cool.

Last edited:

DooFster

I was at IHOP on Craig up near the base and noticed about three black-and-whites there. Walked in with no problems and we all enjoyed our dinner of pancakes and eggs. On the way out I noticed a few plain-clothesed officers standing near the door paying their bills (figuring they were going to jump me since I was in NLV). As I walked out the door I got a smile from the officers and one of them pointed to my hip, asked me what I was carrying. I told him that I was carrying my trusty Glock 19 and he immediately came back with "gorgeous weapon" and told me to have a great weekend. The manager of the IHOP said I was welcome to carry there since she was robbed there awhile back...

yotetrapper

Went out to sushi at Tha Joint with my wife and daughter Wednesday night, and then Bank of America on Prater &McCarren (solo) and Winco on Northtown ln. on Friday, not a single question or comment, mabey a look or 2 but nothing of concern. I so love Northern Nevada!

timf343

Campaign Veteran
I carried today at ███ ██████ ██ and was shopping for ████ ██ ████ when I ██████ ██ ████, but fortunately ██ ████ ██ and I was able to ████ ██.

Portions of this post have been found in violation of H.R. 3261. SOPA bot has removed the offending portions. To appeal, call 1-202-456-1414.

Large Caliber Kick

Mooresville, North Carolina, United States
I carried today at ███ ██████ ██ and was shopping for ████ ██ ████ when I ██████ ██ ████, but fortunately ██ ████ ██ and I was able to ████ ██.

Portions of this post have been found in violation of H.R. 3261. SOPA bot has removed the offending portions. To appeal, call 1-202-456-1414.

I like the way you make your point.

The Big Guy

You forgot that under the NDAA just signed that you can be arrested by the army and held in indefinite detention with no Habeas Corpus, no right to an Attorney, and I think they can kill your dog and take the eggs out of your refrigerator for what you just wrote...

TBG

ed2276

You forgot that under the NDAA just signed that you can be arrested by the army and held in indefinite detention with no Habeas Corpus, no right to an Attorney, and I think they can kill your dog and take the eggs out of your refrigerator for what you just wrote...

TBG

And he's probably one of those raw milk drinkers too! He's in a heap of trouble!

Gundude

Take her to the range, and carry around the house. A little exposure therapy will go a long way. Who knows, she may be carrying with you soon.

Gil223

I carry from the time I get up in the morning until I go to bed at night... and then there's another pistol on the night table! It's not that I'm paranoid, but this is not the same country I grew up in (fifty years ago a "home invasion robbery" was unheard of)!

My travels used to take me from Oregon to Utah frequently, and the route I used took me through Nevada. Nevada didn't/doesn't recognize the Oregon CCW, so at the NV State Line I would stop my bike, remove my pistol and my IWB holster, transfer the pistol to a tactical thigh rig, throw the IWB in my saddlebag, and press on. What impressed me the most about OC in NV was the fact that nobody seemed to take particular notice of the "armed biker" coming into their place of business (gas stations, convenience stores, restaurants and motels). Apparently the citizens of NV (and seemingly most of the western US) are much more comfortable around people who OC than are those who live in the midwest and eastern states. I don't get a second glance in Utah, Idaho or Wyoming when I OC there either.

The more people that OC, the more the general population is exposed to the practice of OC. The more they're exposed to it, the less uncomfortable they will be around people who OC... or, at least that's the theory. If we all do our part, perhaps OC will become de rigueur (the accepted practice) - as opposed to the extraordinarily odd practice it is seen as today. Pax...

Gil223

Take her to the range, and carry around the house. A little exposure therapy will go a long way. Who knows, she may be carrying with you soon.

Nice gun, Gundude! Is that a Polish Radom? I haven't seen one of those in decades... something about a safety issue. ;) Pax...