• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OC in Nevada

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
So I just had a negative OC experience
My apt complex, which will remain nameless, informed me via written notice that I have received a violation. 1st one in about 4 yrs of living here. The armed security, saw me wearing my gun from my truck to my apartment and wrote me up for it.
They say if I get a second one I will get a fine.....

Guess I'm going to have a chat with the head of management as soon as he returns from vacation.
If it doesn't get resolved I guess I will be moving soon cause I'll be damned if they will get any more money from me! (end of rant)
That desires a separate thread - is way too far off topic and involved to get into detail on this one.

We have no knowledge of your lease terms etc. - so commenting is difficult in any event.

Harley

How is that "off topic"? Isn't this particular thread about OC experiences, good or bad???

There is nothing in the lease agreement relating to firearms.

Its no big secret that I carry around here. Never try to hide or try to dodge management or security.

It wasn't a complaint by any tenants. Just a rent-a-cop who is high on his horse.

I just find it pretty messed up that after 4 yrs they just now decide to mess with somebody who has a flawless rental history.

Oh well, either way they lose by backing off and removing the violation when I have a chat with them or they will lose a good paying customer.

Vegassteve

How is that "off topic"? Isn't this particular thread about OC experiences, good or bad???

It isnt. No more off topic tan some of the other things in this thread. Mods are odd sometimes.

My guess is your lease says nothing about it and you had a over reacting guard. Rent a cops are just trying to be like the jack booted thugs in blue.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
So I just had a negative OC experience
My apt complex, which will remain nameless, informed me via written notice that I have received a violation. 1st one in about 4 yrs of living here. The armed security, saw me wearing my gun from my truck to my apartment and wrote me up for it.
They say if I get a second one I will get a fine.....

Guess I'm going to have a chat with the head of management as soon as he returns from vacation.
If it doesn't get resolved I guess I will be moving soon cause I'll be damned if they will get any more money from me! (end of rant)

That desires a separate thread - is way too far off topic and involved to get into detail on this one.

We have no knowledge of your lease terms etc. - so commenting is difficult in any event.

There is nothing in the lease agreement relating to firearms.

Its no big secret that I carry around here. Never try to hide or try to dodge management or security.

It wasn't a complaint by any tenants. Just a rent-a-cop who is high on his horse.

I just find it pretty messed up that after 4 yrs they just now decide to mess with somebody who has a flawless rental history.

Oh well, either way they lose by backing off and removing the violation when I have a chat with them or they will lose a good paying customer.

It isnt. No more off topic tan some of the other things in this thread. Mods are odd sometimes.

My guess is your lease says nothing about it and you had a over reacting guard. Rent a cops are just trying to be like the jack booted thugs in blue.
Intended to say it "deserves" its own thread - that was a suggestion, not a mandate. If you guys want it here, so be it. Thought is might get more exposure in a stand alone thread.

If your lease doesn't reference specific conduct and has no provisions for "fining" then I'm not sure what the problem is - tell them to go pound sand.

mp06011999

FYI...

I actually just partially read about a case like yours (apt complex forbidding guns) via an NRA email. The NRA backed a guy that had that happen to him. The management company was evicting him. It was argued that anything that took this tenant's rights away (2A, in this case) was illegal and unenforceable. The owners of the management company retracted their fine / violation of the tenant and apologized for their management's mistake.

You can probably find the story on NRA's site.

Harley

FYI...

I actually just partially read about a case like yours (apt complex forbidding guns) via an NRA email. The NRA backed a guy that had that happen to him. The management company was evicting him. It was argued that anything that took this tenant's rights away (2A, in this case) was illegal and unenforceable. The owners of the management company retracted their fine / violation of the tenant and apologized for their management's mistake.

You can probably find the story on NRA's site.

Thanks for the info. I plan to fight it and not belly up to anybody on it.

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
It definitely deserved mention in this thread. But I agree to start a thread on this issue, and let's really get down to the brass tacks about it. Do you have a copy of your lease or rental agreement?

mp06011999

I recommend having an attorney or paralegal friend draft a quick letter to management with the law firm's letterhead telling them that they are violating your legal right to carry. That should stop them. Maybe even mention the case I mentioned earlier.

CE310QT

Can a lease even legally prevent you from possessing firearms? I mean, I guess it's my property, I can do what I want, but that seems like it violates some Equal Protection/ Equal Opportunity Housing laws. I've always wondered that...

mp06011999

Can a lease even legally prevent you from possessing firearms? I mean, I guess it's my property, I can do what I want, but that seems like it violates some Equal Protection/ Equal Opportunity Housing laws. I've always wondered that...

That would be my argument exactly. Especially given that we are talking about a "right".

Here's that story I was talking about (but there is more to the story that happened AFTER this one: http://www.westernjournalism.com/outrageous-apartment-complex-to-evict-gun-owners/

Some more: http://www.9news.com/rss/article/354804/339/New-apt-residents-not-allowed-to-have-guns

vegaspassat

OC'd down to orieley's auto parts near washington and buffalo. The guy behind the counter asked if I was carrying "just a nine". I said that I was and it led into this whole conversation about how 9mm is such a terrible round, how he has emptied an entire magazine into someone and they still came running at him, blah blah blah. He said something about carrying a desert eagle 50 in his car or some other nonsense. I kept saying that I liked my gun and that I was plenty effective with it, but that would just get him going again about his "experience" and how when he shoots someone he wants to see them fly 5 feet back or whatever.

That is the thing that bugs me most about my OC encounters. When people want to tell me that my weapon/round is not effective. I don't care what size or color it is, NOBODY wants to be on the wrong end of a gun.

mp06011999

OC'd down to orieley's auto parts near washington and buffalo. The guy behind the counter asked if I was carrying "just a nine". I said that I was and it led into this whole conversation about how 9mm is such a terrible round, how he has emptied an entire magazine into someone and they still came running at him, blah blah blah. He said something about carrying a desert eagle 50 in his car or some other nonsense. I kept saying that I liked my gun and that I was plenty effective with it, but that would just get him going again about his "experience" and how when he shoots someone he wants to see them fly 5 feet back or whatever.

That is the thing that bugs me most about my OC encounters. When people want to tell me that my weapon/round is not effective. I don't care what size or color it is, NOBODY wants to be on the wrong end of a gun.

I've had that same discussion way too many times. Really?
If someone wants to pay my bills then they can have a say in what I do. Or, put a much clearer way: If you're not sleeping in my bed or paying my bills, I don't care what you think.
All have my permission to use that any time they feel the need :p

Last edited:

Harley

Thanks for the links MP.

The head of management returns on Wednesday so its all in limbo til then. I'll update later in the week on what happens.

SharpShootur

9mm-The INTERNATIONALLY proven round

Hey Vegaspassat,

Don't buy into what that guy was telling you. First off, IF he really shot someone with THAT many rounds AND THEY STILL LIVED, then obviously he didn't actually do it. He was just talking trash. If that actually happened, then the person being shot MUST have been wearing a vest. Of course, that would mean that it would have stopped a .45 ACP, .357, .40, etc. Just take it with a grain of sugar dude. I too prefer to carry a 9mm. As I've stated in a previous post, there are in fact TWO ways to increase firepower. One way is to increase the size of the bullet, however limiting you the quantity of rounds. And the second way is to increase the quantity of rounds carried. BOTH ARE EFFECTIVE means for carrying out the mission. IMHO, I believe the 9mm provides the BEST of both worlds (knock down power and quantity). This round is the "jack of all trades and a master of none."

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Opinions are worth exactly what you pay for them.

In the end, we make our own choices and train and pray for the best outcome. There is no one size fits all.

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
I drove in from UT yesterday. I decided to get something to drink and test the air at the Indian Plaza at Exit 75. Literally, the cleanest part of the entire building is the big bright NO FIREARMS sign at the front doors. There were official-looking big guys all over the place. So, I concealed, used their bathroom for free, and didn't buy anything.

Bernymac

I drove in from UT yesterday. I decided to get something to drink and test the air at the Indian Plaza at Exit 75. Literally, the cleanest part of the entire building is the big bright NO FIREARMS sign at the front doors. There were official-looking big guys all over the place. So, I concealed, used their bathroom for free, and didn't buy anything.

I like their prison guard coveralls and trying to look like LEO.

Last edited:

mp06011999

TO ALL:

I posted about Indian reservations awhile back. I had even written the Chief of Police for Paiute with no response. To abbreviate my findings when researching the laws concerning non-tribal members on Indian Reservations:

Tribal Police have jurisdiction over tribal members (Indians) only.
FBI has ultimate jurisdiction over tribal lands.
Indian Reservations ARE NOT sovereign nations as Hollywood would have us believe. They are U.S. lands on loan to tribes.
Tribal Police & Courts have NO jurisdiction over non-tribal members. HOWEVER, they can act for local police and legally detain you for local (non-tribal) police as part of an agreement with police, much like security guards may do. AND, they can, will and do illegally confiscate your property.

SO, legally, that "No Firearms" sign or policy on tribal land is to non-members what rules and regs of the Moose Lodge are to non-members of the Moose Lodge - just a rule and therefore you could be guilty of no more than trespassing if you don't leave. But, CAUTION, the tribal police will use might to enforce them if they want...simply because they can.

While legally their laws won't apply to non-members, don't expect any support form local law to back you. The FBI would, but it would take quite an event to bring them in (bodily harm, murder). I doubt they'd care if the tribal cops took your guns.

Last edited: