• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OC in Nevada

Bernymac

I mentioned this before, but it deserves repeating:

Was oc at Summerlin Lowe's like a year ago and this was my only bad oc experience. The "stock boy" middle-age man was reading me the riot act on how, from what he just learned in his ccw class, I was breaking several laws. Long story short, his manager apologized for her employee's behavior and said that Lowe's respects local law and that he would be "retrained".

On a similar note, because I notice that while I share a mutual respect of the 2A with you folks, we may not be coming from the same root belief. I believe in 2A BECAUSE I believe in freedom of the individual. Today on the news they talked about professional baseball's ban on dipping. Really? While I don't use any tobacco products whatsoever I still believe in your freedom to do so SO long as it does not interfere with others. And dipping does not. I mention this because it's just another example of people instilling their will on others "believe like me". As you go through your day and may run into folks that are disgusted by your open carry or enraged by your love of guns remember, they don't pay your bills or share your bed. Their personal feelings should not concern you. Unfortunately, they do because it is personal feelings that usually dictate policy and law. But I ask you to try and lead by example and NOT let your personal feelings dictate your attitude towards others' actions when those actions hurt no one. Be gay, dip, smoke away from others, toke in the privacy of your own home, tattoo yourself, carry your guns, don't carry your guns, whatever....as long as it hurts no one else and doesn't intrude upon their rights.

So maybe when asked why are you open carrying you could answer, "Because I can and it hurts no one else - you know, FREEDOM".

Who is banning dipping? The people that pay the baseball player's salary? Professional baseball is not a democracy, it is a money making entity. If you want to dip, don't play and get your money somewhere else, find another job. :uhoh:

mp06011999

Who is banning dipping? The people that pay the baseball player's salary? Professional baseball is not a democracy, it is a money making entity. If you want to dip, don't play and get your money somewhere else, find another job. :uhoh:

And THAT is the problem with people, as I see it - trying to instill your will on others. What in the world is wrong with baseball players wanting to dip? They are only hurting themselves. If it's because it sends a bad message to children, simple, they get paid to play baseball, not be parents. They are grown men who should be free to chew gum, dip, e-cig, scratch, whatever is not hurting others, illegal or in poor taste as is considered by the masses (as is the case with ALL entertainers).

But I knew there would be some of my pro 2A brothers that would feel this way. And that was why I posted MY REASON for oc - freedom. For me, you can't preach freedom on one topic and "but I know best" on another. Yet I see our society doing it more and more everyday. :( Think about that one. I'm sure ALL of you would love your bosses to allow you to carry at work. Then how could you think it okay to ban dipping at theirs?

It really helps to know why people in your group are in your group and I suspected there were a few pro 2A folks here that didn't really believe in freedom.

Last edited:

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
And THAT is the problem with people, as I see it - trying to instill your will on others. What in the world is wrong with baseball players wanting to dip? They are only hurting themselves. If it's because it sends a bad message to children, simple, they get paid to play baseball, not be parents. They are grown men who should be free to chew gum, dip, e-cig, scratch, whatever is not hurting others, illegal or in poor taste as is considered by the masses (as is the case with ALL entertainers).

But I knew there would be some of my pro 2A brothers that would feel this way. And that was why I posted MY REASON for oc - freedom. For me, you can't preach freedom on one topic and "but I know best" on another. Yet I see our society doing it more and more everyday. :( Think about that one. I'm sure ALL of you would love your bosses to allow you to carry at work. Then how could you think it okay to ban dipping at theirs?

It really helps to know why people in your group are in your group and I suspected there were a few pro 2A folks here that didn't really believe in freedom.

I don't watch baseball, but I would imagine that the baseball team OWNER has the right and freedom to set standards of conduct for his employees when they are in uniform on the field. These grown men who play baseball can determine if they are willing to work for someone with those rules. They have that freedom.

28kfps

Was oc at Summerlin Lowe's like a year ago and this was my only bad oc experience. The "stock boy" middle-age man was reading me the riot act on how, from what he just learned in his ccw class, I was breaking several laws. Long story short, his manager apologized for her employee's behavior and said that Lowe's respects local law and that he would be "retrained".

On a similar note, because I notice that while I share a mutual respect of the 2A with you folks, we may not be coming from the same root belief. I believe in 2A BECAUSE I believe in freedom of the individual. Today on the news they talked about professional baseball's ban on dipping. Really? While I don't use any tobacco products whatsoever I still believe in your freedom to do so SO long as it does not interfere with others. And dipping does not. I mention this because it's just another example of people instilling their will on others "believe like me". As you go through your day and may run into folks that are disgusted by your open carry or enraged by your love of guns remember, they don't pay your bills or share your bed. Their personal feelings should not concern you. Unfortunately, they do because it is personal feelings that usually dictate policy and law. But I ask you to try and lead by example and NOT let your personal feelings dictate your attitude towards others' actions when those actions hurt no one. Be gay, dip, smoke away from others, toke in the privacy of your own home, tattoo yourself, carry your guns, don't carry your guns, whatever....as long as it hurts no one else and doesn't intrude upon their rights.

So maybe when asked why are you open carrying you could answer, "Because I can and it hurts no one else - you know, FREEDOM".

I agree with you for the most part. Same issue with being forced to ware helmets and seat belts. I personally do however believe it should be my choice.
Something to consider, when someone else actions indirectly take money out of others pockets some may see it as time to regulate it. My point a co-worker says that if a motorcyclist decided not to ware a helmet he signs a release. A release that relieves any and all others, any group, government or organization other than the person not wearing the helmet and his insurance from having to pay for any injuries if these injuries can be determined as a result of not wearing the helmet.

Not saying I agree just throwing this out for thought. Is it possible there comes a time to impose situation regulations when others actions create direct or indirect cost to others who have nothing to do with the issue?

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
... a co-worker says that if a motorcyclist decided not to ware a helmet he signs a release. A release that relieves any and all others, any group, government or organization other than the person not wearing the helmet and his insurance from having to pay for any injuries if these injuries can be determined as a result of not wearing the helmet. ...

By his logic, where do I send the chiropractor bill for the sore neck from having double the wind-resistance when wearing a helmet on the open road?

And while visibility in a helmet is not bad, it's still not as quick (extra moving mass) as not wearing one, so what if it seems visibility was a factor? Do I get his helmet law to pay for all damages now?

What about car accidents, and all those head injuries? Can I insist my tax dollars at UMC don't get used to treat for those?

mp06011999

I agree with you for the most part. Same issue with being forced to ware helmets and seat belts. I personally do however believe it should be my choice.
Something to consider, when someone else actions indirectly take money out of others pockets some may see it as time to regulate it. My point a co-worker says that if a motorcyclist decided not to ware a helmet he signs a release. A release that relieves any and all others, any group, government or organization other than the person not wearing the helmet and his insurance from having to pay for any injuries if these injuries can be determined as a result of not wearing the helmet.

Not saying I agree just throwing this out for thought. Is it possible there comes a time to impose situation regulations when others actions create direct or indirect cost to others who have nothing to do with the issue?

Like owning a gun? ;-)

Where do we draw the line? Butterfly effect.

I love the seatbelt & helmet thoughts as those are two of my pet peeves. Apparently, society has decided that I am not FREE enough to decide how I want to live....or die.

I feel sorry for the soldiers that laid down their lives so that we may be free....ISH.

mp06011999

I don't watch baseball, but I would imagine that the baseball team OWNER has the right and freedom to set standards of conduct for his employees when they are in uniform on the field. These grown men who play baseball can determine if they are willing to work for someone with those rules. They have that freedom.

Absolutely correct. As does your boss at your work who says you can't carry. I know Mac that you work for yourself, but you get the point. Most don't.

mp06011999

And for what it's worth... as long as you (any of you) keep believing that it's okay for others to decide what is right for you or not right for you because of what may happen or may not happen...you can open carry until you are blue in the face and you will never be fighting for being free. But it sure do feel good....:D

28kfps

And for what it's worth... as long as you (any of you) keep believing that it's okay for others to decide what is right for you or not right for you because of what may happen or may not happen...you can open carry until you are blue in the face and you will never be fighting for being free. But it sure do feel good....:D

mp06011999 also replying to MAC here. Please understand I am on your side and MAC not interested in an debate on helmets verse no helmet. They have save my butt during a few serious get-offs one on the road and a few when I did desert racing and I do wear them however as I said I do believe a person should have the choice. My posting was a vial attempt on my part to ask this question. if some taken part in a legal action that is know to have negative affects which ends up costing large mass not involved in such activity to spend their hard earned money to deal with the negative affects for years on end if there isa point where regulations should be put into affect.

turborich

First of all I HATE cigarettes and pretty much anything to do with it. I'm also not a huge supporter of gay marriage or abortion (within reason) However with this said who am I to say that another person can't smoke or dip. Who am I to decide if two gay people want to get married? If you abort your baby I'm not going to have to suffer the metal repercussions. I look at it like this, you leave my rights alone and I won't infringe on yours. It's a give and take which benefits ALL OF US in the end!

However.... Some of the folks that I would rather leave alone would love to take my right to own firearms away from me!!!:banghead:

mp06011999

First of all I HATE cigarettes and pretty much anything to do with it. I'm also not a huge supporter of gay marriage or abortion (within reason) However with this said who am I to say that another person can't smoke or dip. Who am I to decide if two gay people want to get married? If you abort your baby I'm not going to have to suffer the metal repercussions. I look at it like this, you leave my rights alone and I won't infringe on yours. It's a give and take which benefits ALL OF US in the end!

However.... Some of the folks that I would rather leave alone would love to take my right to own firearms away from me!!!:banghead:

Beautifully summed up. I feel the same way.

mp06011999 also replying to MAC here. Please understand I am on your side and MAC not interested in an debate on helmets verse no helmet. They have save my butt during a few serious get-offs one on the road and a few when I did desert racing and I do wear them however as I said I do believe a person should have the choice. My posting was a vial attempt on my part to ask this question. if some taken part in a legal action that is know to have negative affects which ends up costing large mass not involved in such activity to spend their hard earned money to deal with the negative affects for years on end if there isa point where regulations should be put into affect.

I didn't take your comments negatively, not at all. I think we are in agreement. I BELIEVE that in a so-called free society, it should be your choice to wear a helmet or not...as well as smoking, dipping, etc. The correlation to what will it cost society has always been a weak argument. Living on the coast cost the rest of the country every time they have a flood, earthquake, forest fires, etc, but we aren't forcing them to move. Driving cars kills people, but we don't ban cars. And so on and so on.

Turborich summed up my feelings perfectly. Live and let live...or die. If it's not my choice then I am not free. I really hope more people feel that way than what it appears or else we are doomed to where only the illusion of freedom is all that remains.

DocWalker

Beautifully summed up. I feel the same way.

I didn't take your comments negatively, not at all. I think we are in agreement. I BELIEVE that in a so-called free society, it should be your choice to wear a helmet or not...as well as smoking, dipping, etc. The correlation to what will it cost society has always been a weak argument. Living on the coast cost the rest of the country every time they have a flood, earthquake, forest fires, etc, but we aren't forcing them to move. Driving cars kills people, but we don't ban cars. And so on and so on.

Turborich summed up my feelings perfectly. Live and let live...or die. If it's not my choice then I am not free. I really hope more people feel that way than what it appears or else we are doomed to where only the illusion of freedom is all that remains.

The problem is most people don't feel or think like we do; the goverment wants to control everything and everyone. People say they are for freedom but they want the goverment to take care of them and give them free stuff. The effects of this is that people once on the goverment drug they will give up those freedoms along with ours so they can keep getting their free stuff. The goverment knows this and is slowly but steadly taking our freedoms away with the help of the idiots hooked on the goverment drug. (goverment drug = free stuff and percived security)

Last edited:

OC Freedom

The problem is most people don't feel or think like we do; the goverment wants to control everything and everyone. People say they are for freedom but they want the goverment to take care of them and give them free stuff. The effects of this is that people once on the goverment drug they will give up those freedoms along with ours so they can keep getting their free stuff. The goverment knows this and is slowly but steadly taking our freedoms away with the help of the idiots hooked on the goverment drug. (goverment drug = free stuff and percived security)

You hit the nail on the head. Its so true and its why I believe America will collapse in a few more decades.

DON`T TREAD ON ME

I am confused. You claim you are for freedom, but do not want baseball to be free to make decisions regarding their business? What is free about that? Baseball is a private entity just like restaurants. Is it anti freedom when a restaurant makes policy that employees wash their hands after using the bathroom.
Neither one of the items above are forced, Employees who do not want to wash, can work somewhere else.... as can baseball players.

As for the helmet law That is a monopolized govt. deal... The huge difference is their is little choice. You wear a helmet (that they like) or you are subjected to the violence of the state. The very people you "wish to lead by example" Are through the govt. initiating violence against you and I, (as every law is backed by violence.)

Would you submit to the violence of a couple of street punks in wife beaters demanding your wallet? If not why do you submit to the violence brought on by the antis, (through the police) If you believe in freedom, did you register your firearm? Do you have a CCW?

What about the 2A makes you think it stands for freedom? If it does what happened to California Et all. Why is it that the individuals who authored the 2A did not involve you, and instead decided that your individual liberty was best decided in DC

I like your advice of leading by example... I do. I do not vote, as it makes certain people believe they have the right to diminish yours and my individual liberty's. I do not honor the mercenary's who distribute the violence for those whom you vote for. I offer no aggression to anyone unprovoked, I treat people with kindness with consistency.... (by following my feelings)

At the end of the day it seems you are Telling others on this forum that we should be leading by example which is exactly the (believe like me) attitude you despised in your post. The contradictions in that post, are numerous, and distinctive.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
--snipped--
I do not vote, as it makes certain people believe they have the right to diminish yours and my individual liberty's. I do not honor the mercenary's who distribute the violence for those whom you vote for. I offer no aggression to anyone unprovoked, I treat people with kindness with consistency.... (by following my feelings).........
You forfeit the very means that expresses liberty in our society - that is of course your choice - but you do surrender w/o a fight.

Feelings are a wondeful thing - they provide inner peace......or turmoil as the case may be.

mp06011999

I am confused....
...At the end of the day it seems you are Telling others on this forum that we should be leading by example which is exactly the (believe like me) attitude you despised in your post. The contradictions in that post, are numerous, and distinctive.

I'm afraid we are speaking a different language. I see ZERO contradictions... I was going to address each of your points, but really, we are so far from each other that I don't think it is possible. I'm not being mean, but some arguments are so impossible to make to some that it becomes pointless. I feel that you and I are there. No disrespect, but there is no point.

As for the others like DocWalker, OC Freedom, Turborich and 28K - AMEN! Thank you for letting me know that I am not alone. In the minority? Absolutely. But just as I was telling a friend recently, "If my only accomplishment with my talk in my beliefs is to tick off and irritate the dumb*masses of society, then that is enough to stay alive, if only to irritate those I so despise and hopefully live long enough to see them get exactly what they asked for... where I will say 'told ya so'."

Last edited: