• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OC in Nevada

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
Went to a small BBQ shop on a side street behind the Vons center at the main intersection in Boulder City after the High Power practice match today. No issues. By then, I had a few phone calls for A/C service work, all from members of the shooting forums, so I stayed OC while working on machines all day. The only issue was the sun on me all freaking day.

vegaspassat

I have family in town this weekend, so we took them around to see red rock canyon yesterday. OC in redrock yesterday with no problems, but we decided to go to Bonnie Springs afterwards since I haven't been there since I was a kid. We walked around for a minute, but I was denied entry to the actual part where you have to pay to get in. The guy at the counter said that they probably weren't going to let me in with my gun, so I told him that was fine and I didn't need to go in there anyway. He apologized and said it was because they have a fake shootout inside. I just left it at that and we walked around for a little longer before leaving.

Vegassteve

This letter is from 2012 Also the PDF of rules.

http://www.blm.gov/pgdata/etc/media...les.Par.11865.File.dat/Red Rock Sup Rules.pdf

Hello Steve,

Red Rock Canyon National Conservation Area is not part of the National Park Service (even though it honors the National Park Pass system of passes for entrance fees) it is part of the Bureau of Land Management. On the majority of BLM lands within Nevada a person can open carry as long as he/she follows all federal and state laws. Red Rock Canyon NCA has additional regulations which prohibit the possession of a loaded firearm UNLESS you are legally hunting in areas where hunting is allowed. A person with a concealed weapons permit cannot carry a loaded weapon within Red Rock Canyon NCA; however if the person is travelling through Red Rock on the highway it's not an issue UNLESS the person is stopped by an officer (say for speeding) and DOES NOT state that they are carrying a concealed weapon. If BLM officials are telling you something different please let me know who they are because this information needs to be consistent. Also be aware that legislation for National Park Service lands applies to National Park Service Lands or lands that are specified in the specific legislation and there are many different federal lands with varying jurisdictions and regulations (i.e. Bureau of Land Management, US Forest Service, Nat'l Park Service, US Fish & Wildlife, Bureau of Reclamation & also the military areas).

Please see this attached link and in particular the link for Red Rock Supplementary Rules. The section you are interested is on the fourth page under section 3.2 Weapons.

http://www.blm.gov/nv/st/en/fo/lvfo/...gulations.html

Hope that helps.

Regards,

Robert Mitsuyasu
Supervisor Law Enforcement Ranger
Southern Nevada District Office
(702) 622 5757

vegaspassat

Well, color me stupid! I thought for sure it was alright as long as you didnt go in the visitors center. I read a bunch of threads on it, but that was a few years ago so I must have remembered wrong. Thank you for the correction Steve.

Vegassteve

Well, color me stupid! I thought for sure it was alright as long as you didnt go in the visitors center. I read a bunch of threads on it, but that was a few years ago so I must have remembered wrong. Thank you for the correction Steve.

Its been awhile since its come up. So it is good to let any new ones know as well. I made the same error a few times myself. I even had a email from a lower ranger who said it was good to go loaded. Then a year later got the email I just put up.

Its confusing because they are BLM land. I have never ran into a ranger in all the hikes we have done.

Vegassteve

So from that email, you have a LEGAL obligation to inform a LEO if you are carrying in Red Rock?

I think that is just a leo overstepping his bounds. It does raise a good question. We have no duty to inform NV LEO, but what about Fed leo? Maybe Mac or the Big Guy have some insight on that.

bigguyswife

[ Did get a very strong stare may be with some level of fright from a woman that was sitting on a bench in Famous Dave’s.
My wife was sitting next to me on my strong side and the woman was sitting next to my wife. When they called my name while I was still sitting, I helped my wife up, leaving nothing but a narrow empty space between the woman and my holstered firearm. Her eyes were about to pop out of her head. Trying to ease her concern I looked at her smiled and got up to follow my wife to our seat.

The Big Guy and I have always OC'd at the Famous Dave's in Henderson. We've had a couple of glances but never anything more. Love their pickles.....

Stephanie
bigguyswife.....glad to be back in NV so I can carry again.....Texas is a scary place..

garand_guy

[ Did get a very strong stare may be with some level of fright from a woman that was sitting on a bench in Famous Dave’s.
My wife was sitting next to me on my strong side and the woman was sitting next to my wife. When they called my name while I was still sitting, I helped my wife up, leaving nothing but a narrow empty space between the woman and my holstered firearm. Her eyes were about to pop out of her head. Trying to ease her concern I looked at her smiled and got up to follow my wife to our seat.

The Big Guy and I have always OC'd at the Famous Dave's in Henderson. We've had a couple of glances but never anything more. Love their pickles.....

Stephanie
bigguyswife.....glad to be back in NV so I can carry again.....Texas is a scary place..

Is you name Dave? :lol: Maybe that's why they were so surprised! Lol

28kfps

This letter is from 2012 Also the PDF of rules.

http://www.blm.gov/pgdata/etc/media...les.Par.11865.File.dat/Red Rock Sup Rules.pdf

Hello Steve,

Red Rock Canyon National Conservation Area is not part of the National Park Service (even though it honors the National Park Pass system of passes for entrance fees) it is part of the Bureau of Land Management. On the majority of BLM lands within Nevada a person can open carry as long as he/she follows all federal and state laws. Red Rock Canyon NCA has additional regulations which prohibit the possession of a loaded firearm UNLESS you are legally hunting in areas where hunting is allowed. A person with a concealed weapons permit cannot carry a loaded weapon within Red Rock Canyon NCA; however if the person is travelling through Red Rock on the highway it's not an issue UNLESS the person is stopped by an officer (say for speeding) and DOES NOT state that they are carrying a concealed weapon. If BLM officials are telling you something different please let me know who they are because this information needs to be consistent. Also be aware that legislation for National Park Service lands applies to National Park Service Lands or lands that are specified in the specific legislation and there are many different federal lands with varying jurisdictions and regulations (i.e. Bureau of Land Management, US Forest Service, Nat'l Park Service, US Fish & Wildlife, Bureau of Reclamation & also the military areas).

Please see this attached link and in particular the link for Red Rock Supplementary Rules. The section you are interested is on the fourth page under section 3.2 Weapons.

http://www.blm.gov/nv/st/en/fo/lvfo/...gulations.html

Hope that helps.

Regards,

Robert Mitsuyasu
Supervisor Law Enforcement Ranger
Southern Nevada District Office
(702) 622 5757
This is why I keep telling the new Bs on the open carry face book to join and read opencarry.org. Thanks to the hard work, time, going to meetings, calls, e-mails and research done by Vegassteve, Mac, Big Guy, Don't tread on me, Tim, Field with his updated sticky and dozens more I cannot remember this sight is the go to place for accurate and up to date Nevada gun laws and info.

Vegassteve

This is why I keep telling the new Bs on the open carry face book to join and read opencarry.org. Thanks to the hard work, time, going to meetings, calls, e-mails and research done by Vegassteve, Mac, Big Guy, Don't tread on me, Tim, Field with his updated sticky and dozens more I cannot remember this sight is the go to place for accurate and up to date Nevada gun laws and info.

I left the FB page. Because of all the people with opinions and not wanting to actually learn or understand the law. even when presented with facts like this.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
I left the FB page. Because of all the people with opinions and not wanting to actually learn or understand the law. even when presented with facts like this.
Even an off key choir thinks they sing a pretty tune when it is their song being sung - especially if they do it so loudly that they cannot hear your voice.

garand_guy

I gotta say, it does attract some of the yahoos out there. Facebook in general is like that, I suppose. Still, I support craftymommy and think it's a good way to get ideas out there and coordinate stuff. I don't care for Facebook and because of some of the immaturity and general lack of dedication of some of the participants, I prefer this forum.

28kfps

‘O’ no call the cops!!! Call the entire anti gun groups, must inform the public. The government must get involved to stop such legal activity.

We had somewhere around 30 men, woman and kids at a group dinner. Every adult had at least one firearm open carried. Michelle 8 months pregnant ocing a nicely hostler firearm with her two toddlers got some looks.
BJs restaurant was full with a waiting line as we walked to our reserved tables. Yep over twenty open carried firearms walking across the full restaurant and guess what? No one appeared to care. Sure there were a few surprised looks but that was it.
My wife and I had a great time. Food was great. Good laughs and great conversation for all. Shook hands with several I never meet before.
BJs staff could not have been more accommodating. They made sure to tell us as we left to come back. They did a great job of keeping the bill separated. Just our table group not counting tips total was just under $200. Guessing with everyone easily $500 was spent at this gun friendly business by our fellow open carryers.

Thanks again to Trebion for another well-organized open carry meet up.

28kfps

Understand your frustration. I do miss your back up on the FB oc page. I believe many on the page is coming around and realizing there is those that know what they are talking about. For the hard headed ones I just encourage them to post on opencary.org if they want to get the best up to date info. Most of the hard headed ones eventual leave or stop posting. I would like to see your input on FB.

Vegassteve

‘\
My wife and I had a great time. Food was great. Good laughs and great conversation for all. Shook hands with several I never meet before.
BJs staff could not have been more accommodating. They made sure to tell us as we left to come back. They did a great job of keeping the bill separated. Just our table group not counting tips total was just under $200. Guessing with everyone easily $500 was spent at this gun friendly business by our fellow open carryers.

Thanks again to Trebion for another well-organized open carry meet up.

My best friend for the last 25 years is a head waiter at BJs. I forgot to tell him you all were coming in. He hardly ever works nights, but tonight he did. He takes care of Mac and the guys at lunch most of the time. When I see Dan in the morning I will get his take. As usual I suspect it will be everyone was great and they were happy to have you.