• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OC in Nevada

garand_guy

Target

OC'd my revolver today. Went to Barnes and Noble, Wal-Mart, Smiths, and Target, all around Sunset/95 area in Henderson.

At Target, an employee no less, saw me carrying and we had a nice chat. I gave him my card. He was telling me he's always worried when his gets get paid that they'll come home with something new...

When I left, one of Nanny Bloomberg's petition signers was out there. Some droll looking guy who got into his Prius (yes, I'm profiling) signed it. I quizzed the petitioner and he was typically short on facts and rather tongue tied. However, he was a nice guy, noticed I was carry. I told him that I knew he was just trying to get pad, told him it was all BS, and that Bloomberg was paying him. He didn't disagree and was really cool about the whole thing. Seems this one guy knew it was a scam.

If I hadn't had groceries, I would have stuck around, bought some waters for us ('cause I'm such a nice guy, you know), and followed him through the parking lot. As it was I have a life and they have a pretty difficult goal to reach.

Yard Sale

Smiths grocery store in Sparks. In the parking lot a driver didn't stop for me in the crosswalk and made a shooting gesture at me with his hand as he drove by.

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
I've had a busted fuel gauge for years. Every once in a while I forget how much I've transferred between my tanks and I run out. It happened today. But unlike the usual case, I didn't have my siphon pump with me so I had fuel in the storage tank in the bed, but I couldn't get to it! I called Vegaspassat (Derek) and he brought me a cheap pump from Harbor Freight, and we pumped enough to the truck's tank to get back on the road.

BUT, while I was waiting for him, I got to see some interesting things. You see, I was stranded in the middle dual left-turn lane of Tropicana, between Valley View (I had just left Wild West Guns) and Polaris, across from the truck stop parking lot. This is Las Vegas, so I've seen girls that I suspected were prostitutes, but this time I was finally sure. I was there long enough to see how they walk back and forth on the sidewalk. It was a pivotal moment in my experiences! So anyway, only a few minutes before Derek got to me I hear this crash, and I look to my right just in time to hear and see the next one right next to me. A four-car pileup had just occurred right behind and next to me. I hadn't felt anything, but I got out and made sure everyone else was okay. The front-most that I saw got hit next to me was a really nice Ford Super Duty. There was some sort of work van that hit it, and the one that hit the van at an angle and was actually mostly behind me was a beautiful purple Dodge Charger with the Hemi logo. It had been hit at the rear and front, just like the van that hit the Ford pickup. Behind it and the Charger was the one that started it all, a minivan. It was the only one being driven by a women, not that that means anything! It was the one that hit everything else so hard, it wasn't able to clear the street on its own power.

Anyway, I had every single EMT and fireman asking me if I was injured, each time to have to explain to them that I wasn't involved, but just happened to be there and not able to move at the moment. None of them cared that I had a big .357 revolver on my hip.

It will be interesting to see if I hear anything about this later. I know a few people were taking pictures of everyone's license plates, including mine. Sorry, lawyers, but it all happened behind me and was over by the time I looked around.

Canadian Steve, this happened less than half a block from where I was rear-ended with you in the truck on our way to Wild West Guns earlier this year. That one was a Mercedes. Took out its entire front end, and bent up the ball mount on my hitch.

Last edited:

garand_guy

Anyway, I had every single EMT and fireman asking me if I was injured, each time to have to explain to them that I wasn't involved, but just happened to be there and not able to move at the moment. /QUOTE]

Are you sure you weren't traumatized by the experience? PTSD? Emotional damages? I'm sure ole Glen can come up with something to sue for!

28kfps

Anyway, I had every single EMT and fireman asking me if I was injured, each time to have to explain to them that I wasn't involved, but just happened to be there and not able to move at the moment. /QUOTE]

Are you sure you weren't traumatized by the experience? PTSD? Emotional damages? I'm sure ole Glen can come up with something to sue for!

Here is what I get out of it. Looks like going to Wild West gun shop is hazardous. :cool:

Rusty Young Man

A cave is a structure - note there is no requirment that the structure be man made.

A federal facility is a structure where federal employees normally work. Required signage must be evident.

All conditions would seem to have been satisfied.

In the context of a federal employee, what is the definition of "work"?:lol:

@MAC702: Sorry to hear about the pile-up; you may still be hounded even though you weren't involved.:(
As an aside, 28kfps has a point: it has been twice now. Has anything bad ever happened on your other trips to Wild West Guns?:D

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
Today might be interesting. I've been in Utah most of the week, but ran into town quickly yesterday to take care of errands. I'm back in Utah again and today will be in a public building being re-certified by the state government. Last time, this class was held in a private hotel hall. It will be interesting to see if they try to frown on it today, even though legal.

Interestingly enough, I just happened to wear my red NRA instructor shirt. Turns out, their BCI guys are wearing red 5.11 shirts and khaki pants with openly carried sidearms in a black holster. I look almost exactly like them. That might be a little awkward, but oh well.

mp06011999

A quick thought about your monthly meet-ups...

You'd probably achieve your oc'ing goals of getting noticed / blending / trying to make it the norm, etc. if you WERE NOT in a meeting room but rather right in there with the rest of the patrons.

SharpShootur

The “Ballistics and Briskets” Meet-up Update

Alright people! Here's the deal about the meet up. After careful counsel and consensus, the plan for the meet up this Saturday is to "Secure Ground." Please arrive as early as you can to secure tables for our members.

It has been decided that this action is far more preferable then paying the Party Room rental fee ($100 per hour for groups). Not only is that outrageous, but is also a bit of an insult as well. Please be advised of this change. Thank you.

Craftymommy

Some updates for me.

First, my third son was born on the 13th of this month. I was back to carrying my first trip out of the house once we got home, baby strapped to my front and all! I have been out a few times like that with no issues. The hubby posted a picture of me in our facebook group from our trip to Bass Pro last night with the baby and me carrying.

Second (as already posted) I went to the Ethel M chocolate factory and chose to respect their signs and not carry. To be honest no employee was really observant to anything so I could have probably carried with no one the wiser. I did leave on my empty holster while locking my gun in the car in a safe. I have to say as I felt naked without it on my person.

Third, my husband and I carried at Islands on Charleston in Summerlin. No signs posted, no issues. Husband and I were both strong side to the aisle(we were sitting across from each other in a booth). We went with my grandma and all three kiddos. When my husband walked out with the two older boys, there was a lady who was staring at his firearm as he walked past. I don't think she knew what to think since she wasn't glaring but not smiling either, surprised maybe? When I walked out And was waiting on my grandma, a couple walked past and the male made a comment to his girlfriend(assuming she was) "oooh an open carrier" I smiled at them but said nothing since the comment wasn't directly to me. They smiled back so I guess they are gun friendly:) Or at least respect our rights!

My grandma has been out here for two weeks, helping with my kiddos and the baby. I OC every time I go out and she doesn't care at all. She knows how to use firearms and owns them but doesn't think she would ever OC. Granted she lives in California and can't OC there anyway. Oh and I have seen two People OC in the past month. Coincidence or becoming more common?

Last edited:

garand_guy

Some updates for me.

First, my third son was born on the 13th of this month. I was back to carrying my first trip out of the house once we got home, baby strapped to my front and all! I have been out a few times like that with no issues. The hubby posted a picture of me in our facebook group from our trip to Bass Pro last night with the baby and me carrying.

Congrats!

DocWalker

Some updates for me.

Second (as already posted) I went to the Ethel M chocolate factory and chose to respect their signs and not carry. To be honest no employee was really observant to anything so I could have probably carried with no one the wiser. I did leave on my empty holster while locking my gun in the car in a safe. I have to say as I felt naked without it on my person.

Third, my husband and I carried at Islands on Charleston in Summerlin. No signs posted, no issues. Husband and I were both strong side to the aisle(we were sitting across from each other in a booth). We went with my grandma and all three kiddos. When my husband walked out with the two older boys, there was a lady who was staring at his firearm as he walked past. I don't think she knew what to think since she wasn't glaring but not smiling either, surprised maybe? When I walked out And was waiting on my grandma, a couple walked past and the male made a comment to his girlfriend(assuming she was) "oooh an open carrier" I smiled at them but said nothing since the comment wasn't directly to me. They smiled back so I guess they are gun friendly:) Or at least respect our rights!

My grandma has been out here for two weeks, helping with my kiddos and the baby. I OC every time I go out and she doesn't care at all. She knows how to use firearms and owns them but doesn't think she would ever OC. Granted she lives in California and can't OC there anyway. Oh and I have seen two People OC in the past month. Coincidence or becoming more common?
1st Congratulations

2nd Why did you give the chocolate factory your money if they don't respect your rights? Just saying you could find chocolate at a US Constitution friendly place and not support an Anti's business.

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
...Why did you give the chocolate factory your money if they don't respect your rights? Just saying you could find chocolate at a US Constitution friendly place and not support an Anti's business.

Without answering for her I will clarify that Ethel M is the only local chocolate factory. The facility has a glass wall and you can watch the entire process. It's pretty cool, though I've not seen it in at least ten years. So, unlike other places with rude signs, Ethel M has no local competition for what they do, and some people make plans with family or friends only to find out at their door of the policy. She has said she won't be going back.

Vegassteve

Without answering for her I will clarify that Ethel M is the only local chocolate factory. The facility has a glass wall and you can watch the entire process. It's pretty cool, though I've not seen it in at least ten years. So, unlike other places with rude signs, Ethel M has no local competition for what they do, and some people make plans with family or friends only to find out at their door of the policy. She has said she won't be going back.

We were there 2 years ago Oct. I OC then. No signs then. So maybe this is my fault???

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
Kicked out of PT's Place on Nellis, north of Stewart, before we'd even ordered. I informed the bartender that the reason we were meeting at PT's was specifically because their corporate policy welcomes us and we are regulars at several PT's throughout the the valley. He shrugged his shoulders at me and made it clear I was not welcome. I immediately complied and left, under the glaring stares of his regulars, but informed him that I would be notifying his corporate office. There were three of us there at the time, meeting to discuss some ideas to counter the Bloomberg carpetbaggers all over the valley. The three of us included two NRA certified instructors. I was the only OC'er at the time, in a very neat appearance with my NRA instructor polo and khakis. My large S&W 625 revolver was in a $400 sharkskin belt and holster. I'm thinking this guy would rather have sloppy bums in his bar as long as he can't see a gun. What a power-trippy ignoramus. There were only maybe four other customers in there at the time, and we were going to be a party of six.

Because the group had been given flexible times to meet up, expecting to be inside and refreshed, the three of us had to stand in the parking lot about 40 minutes while others arrived until we were all present before finding a new place to meet. We went to the PT's Pub on Lake Mead Blvd, between Christy and Hollywood. I chose this one because it is already known that they follow their corporate policy regarding firearms and have a history of welcoming OC'ers. Scott, the bartender there, was happy to see us (he recognized me from previous visits anyway) and expressed surprise at the treatment we received at the other location. At my request, he gave me some names for some contacts at PT's corporate office.

All the good search terms are too short. Where is that old PT's thread? Does anyone know the people at corporate that have already been involved with the issue?

Last edited:

Bulleteater

Kicked out of PT's Place on Nellis, north of Stewart, before we'd even ordered. I informed the bartender that the reason we were meeting at PT's was specifically because their corporate policy welcomes us and we are regulars at several PT's throughout the the valley. He shrugged his shoulders at me and made it clear I was not welcome. I immediately complied and left, under the glaring stares of his regulars, but informed him that I would be notifying his corporate office. There were three of us there at the time, meeting to discuss some ideas to counter the Bloomberg carpetbaggers all over the valley. The three of us included two NRA certified instructors. I was the only OC'er at the time, in a very neat appearance with my NRA instructor polo and khakis. My large S&W 625 revolver was in a $400 sharkskin belt and holster. I'm thinking this guy would rather have sloppy bums in his bar as long as he can't see a gun. What a power-trippy ignoramus. There were only maybe four other customers in there at the time, and we were going to be a party of six.

Because the group had been given flexible times to meet up, expecting to be inside and refreshed, the three of us had to stand in the parking lot about 40 minutes while others arrived until we were all present before finding a new place to meet. We went to the PT's Pub on Lake Mead Blvd, between Christy and Hollywood. I chose this one because it is already known that they follow their corporate policy regarding firearms and have a history of welcoming OC'ers. Scott, the bartender there, was happy to see us (he recognized me from previous visits anyway) and expressed surprise at the treatment we received at the other location. At my request, he gave me some names for some contacts at PT's corporate office.

All the good search terms are too short. Where is that old PT's thread? Does anyone know the people at corporate that have already been involved with the issue?

What sucked for me is that I got lost on the drive to the alternate PT's (long story) and ended up in the boondocks. So that ignoramus actually cost me gas, time, and a headache! I feel like we should all xerox our receipts from OC-friendly Scott and mail them to the ignoramus to show him how much biz he lost.

Also, we had a member of our group arrive at the anti joint late, thinking we would all be there (he didn't get the update I sent him in time). He looked around, didn't see us, figured he was too late and left. So that wasted HIS time as well. This was a real PITA all around that was caused by an ignoramus, clueless of his own corporate policy. MAC if you could post the contact info for PT's, I would like to add my voice to the uproar.

Craftymommy

We were there 2 years ago Oct. I OC then. No signs then. So maybe this is my fault???

Yep I will blame you:lol:

In regards to the chocolate factory...

I did not spend money, the tour is free. We got to try the chocolate for free as well. I wasn't about to spend my money though and now I know not to.