• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OC in Nevada

28kfps

Well, as the title said, it finally happened -- I saw not one but TWO people OC'ing!

As you may know, I comment regularly on my uneventful OC trips while often taking umbrage that I never see anyone else do so. Yesterday, that changed as me and the wifey were at Walmart and 'lo and behold', TWO OC'ers!

One had a Glock and the other a 1911 with wood grips.

I feel that I was remiss in not saying 'Hi' or something leading to the OC issue (though I thought about it) but I was a bit cranky from strolling the place and just wanted to get back to doing stuff more enjoyable than shopping for boring stuff.

Still... it was nice to finally see another [x2!] in 'the wild'.

PS:

Some kid actually noticed that I was carrying and said "Coooool!" --perhaps one has a better line of sight when they're 4' tall when it comes to OC. :D
In Pahrump it is normal to see other OCers. I almost always talk to them if they look approachable. (Not in a conversation, not appearing to be in a hurry, or does not have one of those I will rip your face off if you talk to me looks) I break the ice by saying with a smile glad to see you are carrying, lets them know right off you are on their side, I reach out with my hand and say my name followed by I also OC everywhere. The conversation flows from there. I always tell them about open carry dot org.

vegaspassat

I'm at the DMV on flamingo right now and it looks they have removed all signage refering to the carry of firearms. I'll do another check on my way out.

SharpShootur

The “Hallow (point) ween” Meet-up

The “Hallow (point) ween” Meet-up

My fellow Open Carriers!

The Las Vegas Open Carry of Southern Nevada is conducting another monthly meet up for the month of October! This month is expected to have ghouls, goblins, witches, vampires, werewolves, and zombies. THAT’S RIGHT, Zombies!! So, it has fallen upon you, our trusted open carriers (and other law-abiding gun owners), to remain vigilant as we gather for a “thriller night.”

Please join together for the “Hallow (point) ween” meet up! The info is as follows:

Date: October 25, 2014
Time: 6:00 p.m.
4444 W. Craig Rd. Suite 126
North Las Vegas, NV 89032
(702) 868-3339

Hope to see you there for Dracula and dumplings (evil laughter)! Remember to please bring your spouse (for the blood sacrifice, of course)! If you have a special someone in your life, please don’t forget to bring them too (that way, you’ve got someone to trip and use for bait should the zombies arrive)! And as always, the more friends you bring the merrier (so there will be additional witnesses should a haunting occur)! It's going to be a spooky time!

***PLEASE READ***
Remember, we're striving to make this a monthly event so please give me, SharpShootur, a list of any and all OC friendly restaurants and dives that you know of or find. That way, we'll have variety as well as good times!

Ron_O

Hair cut, bank, restaurant...

Went over for a haircut in our area with no issues; several, if not all, in the shop noticed but not a word said by anyone. After that I went into Chase bank on Silverado Ranch and Maryland Pkwy; they noticed but all it got me was excellent service. Followed from there into El Pollo Loco (great food). No issues and lots of eyeballs.

Amazingly my gun didn't shoot anyone that entire time nor did I find a way to get myself shot. The gun didn't leap out of it's holster either. Not sure what I'm doing wrong...

I had my GF with me at the bank and restaurant, she getting used to experiencing it with me, and she's been a little shocked at how openly we can travel 'sensitive places' without getting any kind of grief. When we left the restaurant she laughed and mentioned that if I didn't look so clean cut it might have been a different story, that if I looked like some biker dude everyone would be running for the exits LOL. I don't think that's true but it's nice to see her absorbing the experience. I think most people think I'm LEO. If someone asks I'll just tell them that I'm one of the Good Guys...

Her late husband CCW'd so she was used to that but never with an OC. My neighbor, who is a diehard CCW, and I had a nice chat about OC and tactical advantages of both. Other than being excluded from certain venues I'm beginning to feel that OC is the best way to go.

Ron_O

Went over for a haircut in our area with no issues; several, if not all, in the shop noticed but not a word said by anyone. After that I went into Chase bank on Silverado Ranch and Maryland Pkwy; they noticed but all it got me was excellent service. Followed from there into El Pollo Loco (great food). No issues and lots of eyeballs.

Amazingly my gun didn't shoot anyone that entire time nor did I find a way to get myself shot. The gun didn't leap out of it's holster either. Not sure what I'm doing wrong...

I had my GF with me at the bank and restaurant, she getting used to experiencing it with me, and she's been a little shocked at how openly we can travel 'sensitive places' without getting any kind of grief. When we left the restaurant she laughed and mentioned that if I didn't look so clean cut it might have been a different story, that if I looked like some biker dude everyone would be running for the exits LOL. I don't think that's true but it's nice to see her absorbing the experience. I think most people think I'm LEO. If someone asks I'll just tell them that I'm one of the Good Guys...

Her late husband CCW'd so she was used to that but never with an OC. My neighbor, who is a diehard CCW, and I had a nice chat about OC and tactical advantages of both. Other than being excluded from certain venues I'm beginning to feel that OC is the best way to go.

Had the GF shoot a pic at El Pollo Loco. I'm carrying a Beretta 92FS 9mm which is a really heavy gun. I prefer that over the 1911's or .380 that we have but I'm looking for my preferred daily carry. The others are guns that we just had around over the years. I'm leaning toward a Glock 29 10mm because I like the round and feel of the weapon. I'll go for the extended mags with add-on grip extender when I want extra rounds on hand.

I get grief over the camo nylon holster but I actually like it. Not the quickest draw on the planet but it's secure and very unassuming for OC, as you can see in the pics. If it's possible to put a 'friendly spin' on being armed that's it. As I told my neighbor, I'm more prone to the situational awareness that I've practiced for decades and simply much more secure now that I'm armed as opposed to not. It's a personal preference. If I stick with the 92FS for a while I may go for a different holster, particularly if I can find one in camo.

BTW I wear this on a loose belt, not strung through my belt loops, which allows me to spin it around at will. When I'm entering a business it may be further behind me but at other times along my side or slightly in front. I can even spin it center left if I want both hands feeding on both gun and magazine.

El Pollo Loco 1.jpg El Pollo Loco 2.jpg

Last edited:

Harley

Had the GF shoot a pic at El Pollo Loco. I'm carrying a Beretta 92FS 9mm which is a really heavy gun. I prefer that over the 1911's or .380 that we have but I'm looking for my preferred daily carry. The others are guns that we just had around over the years. I'm leaning toward a Glock 29 10mm because I like the round and feel of the weapon. I'll go for the extended mags with add-on grip extender when I want extra rounds on hand.

I get grief over the camo nylon holster but I actually like it. Not the quickest draw on the planet but it's secure and very unassuming for OC, as you can see in the pics. If it's possible to put a 'friendly spin' on being armed that's it. As I told my neighbor, I'm more prone to the situational awareness that I've practiced for decades and simply much more secure now that I'm armed as opposed to not. It's a personal preference. If I stick with the 92FS for a while I may go for a different holster, particularly if I can find one in camo.

BTW I wear this on a loose belt, not strung through my belt loops, which allows me to spin it around at will. When I'm entering a business it may be further behind me but at other times along my side or slightly in front. I can even spin it center left if I want both hands feeding on both gun and magazine.

x2 on the 92fs. I carry mine all day, every day!

DocWalker

I only carried the 92FS in the military as my primary weapon, I still have my leg drop holster from my last trip to Iraq in 2005. No Beretta to go into it....lol

qednick

Had the GF shoot a pic at El Pollo Loco. I'm carrying a Beretta 92FS 9mm which is a really heavy gun. I prefer that over the 1911's or .380 that we have but I'm looking for my preferred daily carry.

The 92FS is a fantastic pistol. Must've put 4,000 rounds through mine and never had a single jam!

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
...me and the wifey were at Walmart and 'lo and behold', TWO OC'ers!

One had a Glock and the other a 1911 with wood grips....

I call BS.

No wood-stocked 1911 carrier would stroll around in public with a Glocker.

Last edited:

Rusty Young Man

SNIP... I'm carrying a Beretta 92FS 9mm which is a really heavy gun. I prefer that over the 1911's or .380 that we have but I'm looking for my preferred daily carry. The others are guns that we just had around over the years. I'm leaning toward a Glock 29 10mm because I like the round and feel of the weapon. I'll go for the extended mags with add-on grip extender when I want extra rounds on hand.SNIP...

It's a bit heavier than the Beretta, and just about on par with a 1911, but I'd recommend at least handling a CZ 75B or one of its descendants (75BD, 85B if you want ambi controls, CZ SP01, etc.). All-steel frame and slide to tame the felt recoil of the 16+1 rounds of 9mm, and you have the one gun that every person I've introduced to shooting has taken an instant liking to*.

Just to clarify, I am in no way compensated for the praise I give to the CZ 75B, I just really like it and would agree with the late Jeff Cooper about it being a true wonder nine.:)

*Semi-autos only; not YET a revolver guy.:p

SNIP...No wood-stocked 1911 carrier would stroll around in public with a Glocker.

I can't believe, in this day and age, that someone would even suggest that a Glocker could walk side-by-side with a Carrier of the Chosen Pistol.:rolleyes::lol:

Last edited:

rickyray9

I called the Reno Sparks Indian Colony a couple weeks ago asking about OC at the 2nd St. Walmart, and they said that they honor NRS and RMC, so there would be no issue open carrying there. I have since gone to that walmart OC 3-4 times and have had mostly pleasurable experiences. I did get one CCW "bro" type guy who said "Hey bro, I'm all about the second amendment, I have a CCW bro, but you can't carry in here bro." I informed him about my talk with RSIC and he just reiterated his stance saying that his CCW instructor (who must be a terrible lawyer) said it was illegal.
I gotta say, it's nice to see a 2A friendly Indian place!

garand_guy

I called the Reno Sparks Indian Colony a couple weeks ago asking about OC at the 2nd St. Walmart, and they said that they honor NRS and RMC, so there would be no issue open carrying there. I have since gone to that walmart OC 3-4 times and have had mostly pleasurable experiences. I did get one CCW "bro" type guy who said "Hey bro, I'm all about the second amendment, I have a CCW bro, but you can't carry in here bro." I informed him about my talk with RSIC and he just reiterated his stance saying that his CCW instructor (who must be a terrible lawyer) said it was illegal.
I gotta say, it's nice to see a 2A friendly Indian place!

"Bro, you can't bro, Bro." Why is it that everyone bases everything on something "they heard from somebody" and then get all snippy about it? Can people not be bothered to look stuff up on their own anymore? It's called Google, people. I made a freakin' website that all but lifts the NRS verbatim so people wouldn't be going on supposition all the time. :banghead:

mp06011999

"Bro, you can't bro, Bro." Why is it that everyone bases everything on something "they heard from somebody" and then get all snippy about it? Can people not be bothered to look stuff up on their own anymore? It's called Google, people. I made a freakin' website that all but lifts the NRS verbatim so people wouldn't be going on supposition all the time. :banghead:

Ah, but you're assuming people "want" to learn. For some reason, when we grow up, we seem to think we don't need to be told anything or learn anything. I bi@#h about it all the time. Ever got annoyed trying to learn to play a musical instrument or learn a foreign language and then just give up? Unfortunately, for the masses, it's all Greek - everything.

I have some friends that continually talk about all these "facts" they've seen on-line. I have repeatedly sent them the link to Snopes. Yet they still regurgitate the crap they hear and NEVER bother to confirm anything. Again, sadly, the norm.