• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OC in Nevada

battleborn

OC'd at Beto's Mexican Food for lunch, Walmart in Spanish Springs, and Yogurt Beach in South Reno. Got a comment from a couple at Yogurt Beach mentioning that I should have left it in the car.

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
...Got a comment from a couple at Yogurt Beach mentioning that I should have left it in the car.

"You want me to leave my firearm unattended? You really think that's safer than having it with me at all times?"

chadman

Which is doubly interesting to me because I've never heard of off-duty cops OC'ing out-of-uniform. Has anyone else?

Actually i have today i am from out of state (oregon) I am here visiting my grandma and we went to the hidden gave the holographics here in outside of fallon where i am now. But it was a off duty nevada cop not sure county or what but he had his two kids and a wife he looks over at me i give a head nod because i was reading and i guess he said hello to my mom and my brothers and my grandma. Since i am only 17 i cant OC yet i am waiting to june to do that in oregon.

ed2276

OC'd at Beto's Mexican Food for lunch, Walmart in Spanish Springs, and Yogurt Beach in South Reno. Got a comment from a couple at Yogurt Beach mentioning that I should have left it in the car.

You should have told them to talk to Suzanna Hupp about leaving it in the car.

Suzanna had left her gun in her car when she took her parents to dinner at a Lubby's restaurant in Texas. While they were eating, a man drove his truck into the restaurant wall, entered the restaurant, started shooting, and proceeded to massacre 23 people, including Suzanna's parents, and wound 20 others.

When the shooting started, Suzanna instinctively reached into her purse for her gun, but it was in her car.

Last edited:

ed2276

Yesterday, I OC'd at Winco foods on N. Decatur with my wife. No problems there.

Then I OC'd at Planet Nissan on Centennial Center with her for a couple of hours, where we ended up leasing a new car. We moved among several salesman and met with the finance manager during our time there. They saw that I was OC'ing, but it was a non-issue. Funny how when a business is engaging in a several thousand dollar transaction with a customer, and the employees earn money based on commission sales, how things like OC'ing become a non-issue. LOL

We also moved among several other customers on the showroom floor. There was a customer sitting at a table on the other side of the room who was looking at my gun, but she just smiled at me. No negative reactions at all from anyone there.

ed2276

Today, OC'd at Smith's on N.Durango and Elkhorn, Goodwill store on Decatur at Craig, and at then at Lino's on Rainbow and Ann for a delicious lasagna and pizza lunch with the wife. No problems anywhere.

As an aside, we give big kudos to Lino's owner! We got to Lino's at 3pm, but found it didn't open until 4pm today. The owner invited us in and cooked us a great lunch, even though it was an hour early.

battleborn

"You want me to leave my firearm unattended? You really think that's safer than having it with me at all times?"

I mention politely that is much safer in my holster than left in the car...they did not have the courage to continue the discussion unfortunately.

Steve Larson

Vegas Strip

So, I OC'd for the very first time today. Went down the LV strip tonight, stopped in "Strip Burger" for dinner, not a second glance from any of the staff there... Did get a few glances from some people while walking down the strip, and mostly some head nods from them. I'm so jealous of U.S. gun laws compared to Canada.

battleborn

OC'd at Walmart in Spanish Springs again and had an odd experience. I was carrying my Sig SP2022 and was buying some plinking ammo for it, when a young man walks up and announces he is armed as well. After he makes his rather loud announcement he raises his shirt and leave it hiked up revealing a Glock tucked into his waistband. He continues babbling on and on about how he just got his CCW in the mail and how he loves carrying his G19 everywhere. He called me unintelligent for giving away the tactical advantage by OC'ing... Oh the irony! :eek: I just smiled and nodded and walked out.

wrightme

OC'd at Walmart in Spanish Springs again and had an odd experience. I was carrying my Sig SP2022 and was buying some plinking ammo for it, when a young man walks up and announces he is armed as well. After he makes his rather loud announcement he raises his shirt and leave it hiked up revealing a Glock tucked into his waistband. He continues babbling on and on about how he just got his CCW in the mail and how he loves carrying his G19 everywhere. He called me unintelligent for giving away the tactical advantage by OC'ing... Oh the irony! :eek: I just smiled and nodded and walked out.

Hopefully, at LEAST holstered, not Plaxico'd.

bigguyswife

Tactical advantage?.....sounds like he's looking for a gunfight. I'd rather the "bad guys" leave me alone because they see my gun. I've noticed that the panhandlers in store parking lots (and there's getting to be a lot of them now) don't approach me now that I'm carrying.

This kid sounds like a "gangsta wannabe" if he's wearing his gun tucked into his waistband and not in a holster. I probably would have asked who he was trying to impress......but I can be a smart ass at times....drives the big guy nuts! However, as his favorite t-shirt says, we don't have time for stupid people.

Stephanie
the big guys wife.

DooFster

Both the wife and I carried at WinCo just off of Decatur. A BUNCH of looks from people and a few statements along the lines of "man, we don't want to mess with them..."

ed2276

I OC'd last night at Planet Nissan on Centennial Center and Streets of New York Pizza restaurant at Farm and Norman Rockwell, with my wife. no problems either place

TigerLily

Open Carried in DMV on Donvan in LV

Got some decent footage using my spyware. No drama, just people looking at me funny. Probably cause my hair was jacked cause I was riding my motorcycle and NOT wearing a helmet.

I also still have to do the production of my Metro OC. That was a pretty juicy one - that'll be first.

But fyi, I just fixed the last vid I produced where Tim OC'd in NHP, Southern Command. Here's my blog post about it.

Thank you to the Idaho guy that gave me some feedback.

http://tigerlilsblog.blogspot.com/2012/03/nevada-hwy-patrol-gets-schooled-on-open.html

Lanearas

Campaign Veteran
I don't usually post my experiences because OC has been a daily experience for me for years, but yesterday, the wife and I were in Smith's at Ft. Apache and Flamingo. I don't see others OCing very often, and when I spotted another fellow there, I casually pointed it out to my wife. A second later after we passed the fellow in the aisle, we overheard a group of kids pointing to this guy and telling each other "Hey - he's got a gun!". My wife couldn't resist, and said to the kids "Yeah, so what? So does he!" pointing to me. I think the kids freaked a little and booked it out of there. The other fellow noticed something, and we exchanged a few words and a handshake. His comment: "Welcome to Nevada boys!".