• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OC in Nevada

DrkDestroyer

A small request.....
Paragraphs.

As for the rest of it?

Sounds like a good day.

I wonder if:
that part may be a rational reason for presenting a neat and clean appearance when open carrying. Many discussions (quite heated at times) have been had about dress and manner when OC. I am a FIRM believer that the impression a person creates through dress and action "colors" the view others hold. If a person dresses nicely and is polite, "good" is projected. If a person dresses outside of norms and is NOT polite, "good" is not projected.

Right or wrong, how we appear does make a difference.
Right or wrong, once such a difference is noted, OC may give others a 'reason' to call.

Good report.

2a

Last edited:

wrightme

Well, like I said, I dress in a urban fashion, which I consider "neat" my pants/ shorts are baggy, and my shirt is untucked. I wear a ball cap tilted to the side, and sunglasses.
My style of dress does not dictate my right to carry my firearm. I'm an individual, not a part of a club, where everyone where's the same uniform. If I see someone with a Mohawk, tattoos, piercings, wild style clothing, and a gun on his/her hip, I'm not running to call the police, and neither should anyone else.
That's the whole point. Open carry is a individual right, not just for those who consider themselves neat.

I fully agree. That was not my point at all.

How we (all of us, not just OCers) appear to others does change how they "see" us. Like I said, right or wrong, that IS reality. It was not meant to say what you misrepresented.

Dress code does not alter the Right.
Dress code may alter how others view us.

Carry On. Understand that how we present to the public may alter the results, whether it is right or wrong.

With the untucked shirt, doesn't that conceal?

Last edited:

DrkDestroyer

I fully agree. That was not my point at all.

How we (all of us, not just OCers) appear to others does change how they "see" us. Like I said, right or wrong, that IS reality. It was not meant to say what you misrepresented.

Dress code does not alter the Right.
Dress code may alter how others view us.

Carry On. Understand that how we present to the public may alter the results, whether it is right or wrong.

2a

Last edited:

wrightme

I understand what your saying, I just see it as regardless of ones style of dress, as long as the firearm is holstered, and not pointed at someone, there should be no concern. After we got back home, I asked my girlfriend did she notice people looking at me, and she said yeah, people looked, but the longest looks came from other blacks, who where surprised, and probably unaware of the right they have to protect themselves.
I'm sure someday someone will call the police, because they see me with a gun on my hip, but I have no intention of changing how I protect myself, or dress. The more people who open carry, as individuals, in their own style of dress, the more accepted it will become.
Yep. And yes, I would not be surprised if you do get called upon someday, no matter how it is baseless for calls to be made. I also think you have assessed the looks received from other blacks accurately.

28kfps

Hello. I'm new to OCDO, but I've been open carrying for a while now. I decided to give Walmart the test, especially after the recent kidnapping, robbery in the Walmart parking lot in N. Las Vegas. I travel often, and I want my girlfriend to feel comfortable open carrying into the place we most often shop. So yesterday I strapped my HK P30, 40 S&W into my Serpa paddle holster, and headed on the family journey to Walmart. I have a 1 year old, and a 5 year old. I gave my pair of I-KAM video recorder sunglasses to my son, and told him to record if I tell him to. I'm a black man, so I'm chartering unknown territory, and want to make sure I had my self covered. We arrived at Walmart, and proceeded thru the parking lot, to the front door. I'm left handed, and carried my 1 yr old in my right arm. My big 40 was noticed the moment I stepped inside, without a word said. We shopped for about an hour, $353 dollars worth of groceries, some 4th of July T-shirts, and a video game for my son. The lady in the electronics dept assisted with getting the game, and purchase, and didn't say a word about my firearm. At grocery check out also, not a word about the firearm. I proceeded to get $1550 in money orders out of the ATM/money order machine, and half way thru the transaction the machine ran out of paper. The CSR came over, opened up the machine, took all the money out of it, and counted me out $550.00 dollars to take to the "money center" and continue my transaction. The ladies in the money center were all smiles, I explained what happened, and they took care of it. I was surprised at how cool, and comfortable everyone was, and that the Police were not waiting for me outside, lol. Like I said, I'm black, and I dress in a urban fashion, but I carry confidence, so to most, I guess they figured I am just a family man, with a gun. I also open carry at the Albertsons on Maryland & Flamingo. I walk right pass they security guard, and he doesn't say nothing, but a what's up nod. 7-11's anywhere, pretty much anywhere I go on a regular, I open carry. I haven't been asked to leave anywhere, nor questioned about my firearm. I guess people figure I must have it for a reason, and I don't come across as the shady type. Anyways, all I want to say is don't feel apprehensive about rockin your gun like the police do. I value my life, and my family too much to worry about getting kicked out of a store for open carry. Happy 4th of July!! Peace.....

Great report. Thanks for sharing it. Glad to see you were able to protect your family without harassment.
I also believe first impression of the person carrying an open firearm is going to dictate how their day is going to be. Good to see people were able to see past a black man with a gun and see a family man legally protecting his family. Looking forward to more good reports good and hopefully none or few negative ones.

28kfps

Well, like I said, I dress in a urban fashion, which I consider "neat" my pants/ shorts are baggy, and my shirt is untucked. I wear a ball cap tilted to the side, and sunglasses.
My style of dress does not dictate my right to carry my firearm. I'm an individual, not a part of a club, where everyone where's the same uniform. If I see someone with a Mohawk, tattoos, piercings, wild style clothing, and a gun on his/her hip, I'm not running to call the police, and neither should anyone else.
That's the whole point. Open carry is a individual right, not just for those who consider themselves neat.

I carry mine as if I belong to it, not as a last minute decision of strapping on a firearm with a shirt not tucked in and hiked up and over the gun. Does the person with the sloppy dress have the same right to open carry? A no brainier for those that understand their constitutional right and laws. However, past events would indicate the majority of the general public are first impression reactors with little consideration to our rights.
One small example, I have open carried in a Smith store for the past two years with no problems. Have been in the store at times seeing at least one other open carrying person. However, I did talk to one guy that had the cops called on him carrying in the same store. He is a bearded, tattooed, biker person, always wearing his bikers vest, and carries an 8-inch knife on the opposite side of his open carried gun.
Talking to this guy is like talking to anyone else he just likes to express the fact he is a motorcycle rider. However, in talking to him he does realize a biker with a gun will attract a negative first impression and willing to deal with it.
It would appear to me, along with the self defense option and right to carry, most open carry persons secondary mission is to encourage the public we encounter to feel comfortable seeing a civilian with a gun. That starts with that first site of the person carrying the gun.
We have the right to dress in a way that will attract negative attention to our open carried gun and deal with the results of our choice or try to carry in a way it lessens the public’s concern seeing a gun in the open.

Last edited:

28kfps

Wife and I loaded up on our two motorcycles, hooked up our pull behind the motorcycle pop-up camp trailer and went camping on Mount Charleston for 3 days. Open carried on the way there and back, carried most of the time in the campground, open carried while ridding the Mountain roads, talked to the camp host and wife several times with no mention of the firearm. Carried in the hotel lobby buying ice. Carried in the lodge at the end of the Kyle Canyon road having dinner. No one said a word about the gun. However never came into one on one contact with any type of law. I guess this also would mean no one called the law.

DrkDestroyer

Welcome to the Forum!

I can't imagine the stress you probably felt the first time you OC'd. God bless you sir for exercising your Rights. I'm white and I was not comfortable at all my first OC outing.
My wife and I both commented, about a YouTube video where a young black man was OC'ing, "man, that has got to be very stressful, as a black man OC'ing". I'll see if I can find the vid later.

Thank you. The young black man you speak of name was "Bear" He open carried in Berkley, California. He died a couple of years back (medical issue's, they say he died in his sleep) He was inspirational in my decision to exercise my right to openly carry. 2a

Last edited:

Felid`Maximus

Activist Member
Welcome to the forum DrkDestroyer!

You are right on about acting with defined intent and confidence. Nervousness is a contagious emotion. If you look nervous, other people might feel nervous too!

-------------------------------------------

I open carried up at Virginia City yesterday, where open carry is extremely common. That said, most of the other OC'ers there are reenactors or otherwise carrying old single action pieces.

Last edited:

28kfps

Open carried at our city’s 4th of July celebration. I am guessing there was over 1000 people. The only others I saw with a gun was the law. Not a word about mine. I did have a long conversation with one of the curious celebrators asking about open carry.

wrightme

Me, and My girlfriend both OC'd today. Metro PCS, Target, Payless shoe source, and Walgreens. No issues. When I took my son to Walgreens to go pee, the employee at the door called a "code 8" to the cashier, and she called a "code 8" over the P.A, but they didn't say anything else. The employee at the door came to the back, and unlocked the restroom for us. All stores are located at Flamingo, and Maryland parkway..

I learned that as a "number 1"........ :eek:

Nevada carrier

Lol, I think a code 8 has to do with a customer with a firearm. The need for a "code 1" was announced by me afterwards.

I've used the restroom at Walgreen's before. They too called out code 8. It's their signal for someone to open the restroom for a customer. I wasn't armed at the time I needed code 8 so I could number 2.

Estebean1911

O'reillys auto parts

Yesterday, I went to O'reillys auto store on Nellis and Owens and I was OC'ing I had my 1911 .45 as I was walking in to the store a guy arround his 50 asked me if it was a real gun, and I said yes it is he smiled back other than that no issues.

28kfps

Once again, saw another person open carrying in our Walmart. I did get a chance to ask him if he knew about open carry dot org and he did not. Seamed to be very interested in it.