Page 13 of 145 FirstFirst ... 311121314152363113 ... LastLast

Thread: NV OC - how did it go?

28kfps
    Quote Originally Posted by renoglock22 View Post
    Well tonight a friend and I were out dumpster diving (before you judge I got a working $150 Keurig) when we got pulled over by Sparks PD over at Scheel's. He asked for both of our Ids and I informed my friend that he was not required to show ID if not operating the vehicle, which he wasn't. The officer then proceeded to tell me I didn't know what I was talking about and I asked him to cite the law that gives him the right to check anyone in a motor vehicles ID. Well needless to say he couldn't but my friend was intimidated and gave it to him. Well he got arrested for some warrants that he is currently trying to take care of and shouldn't have been arrested for. After they took him one officer came to my window and the other to the passenger side to look in and informed the officer talking to me that I am armed and he backed away and pulled his gun. He then told me to keep my hands on the wheel (the whole time pulled over they never left the wheel) and backed away and pulled his gun. He asked me if I had a CCW and when I responded no he asked why I am carrying. I told him I carry because I can. He gave back my ID and said have a good night. My one question is, in Nevada, did my friend have to show his ID?
    Glad it turned out for you, to bad for your friend. I am not defending the LEOs actions or condemning your friend however for him the first step is not to get arrested in the first place. I understand things happen and no need and not looking for any explanation to the arrest as it is none of my business. With that said, preventing the arrest mistake to start with will prevent an LEO from taking advantage by the LEOs mistakes or intimidation ploy.
    I believe the LEO was out of line and over reacted by pulling his gun as you said keeping your hands on the wheel. I can understand him backing up and may be hand on the gun in the holster then if you made a unannoused movement with our hands off the wheel that might be time for the LEO to start pointing.
    Thanks for looking up detaining NRS. I am going to make a printed copy and carry it next to the law pamphlet in my wallet.
    Thanks for sharing the unpleasant encounter.

all great info! discussing this with ma-in-law. by the way, she is not a cop. She just works for metro. i'll let you guys know if she cites any other references to support the opposite. thanks again for all the info. i just got my holster today, so i'll let you guys know where I open carry.

Quote Originally Posted by frodo0602 View Post
    all great info! discussing this with ma-in-law. by the way, she is not a cop. She just works for metro. i'll let you guys know if she cites any other references to support the opposite. thanks again for all the info. i just got my holster today, so i'll let you guys know where I open carry.
    I would be completely stunned if she can FIND anything that supports what she tells you. Now, that IS likely what the LE feel they can try to do, and DO try to do, but it simply isn't supported by statute. That is why it is important to stand up for our Rights in LE encounters, so they do NOT have that false 'power' reinforced. They will do what they can.
    "Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin

Clark County, NV-----------------------Mohave County, AZ
    Remember, "Law Enforcement Officer" is a title, not a job description.

And since cops are allowed to lie, and get to make up "reasonable cause" at any point after the encounter, this is why we recommend people, especially targeted people like OCers, carry and use recording equipment.
    Blue & Gold Firearms Training; Clark County, NV
    "It's not important how many people I've killed. What's important is how I get along with the people who are still alive" - Jimmy the Tulip

Quote Originally Posted by 28kfps View Post
    Glad it turned out for you, to bad for your friend. I am not defending the LEOs actions or condemning your friend however for him the first step is not to get arrested in the first place. I understand things happen and no need and not looking for any explanation to the arrest as it is none of my business. With that said, preventing the arrest mistake to start with will prevent an LEO from taking advantage by the LEOs mistakes or intimidation ploy.
    I believe the LEO was out of line and over reacted by pulling his gun as you said keeping your hands on the wheel. I can understand him backing up and may be hand on the gun in the holster then if you made a unannoused movement with our hands off the wheel that might be time for the LEO to start pointing.
    Thanks for looking up detaining NRS. I am going to make a printed copy and carry it next to the law pamphlet in my wallet.
    Thanks for sharing the unpleasant encounter.

Yeah my friend isn't so smart and should have kept up on his payments in the first place. When one officer told the one talking to me that I was armed I was asked if I had a CCW and then he turned to the other officer and asked him if he could see it. All I was thinking was he just told you I was armed therefore he can see it. Then when asked why I carry I replied "because I can". He looked at me with a "you're a dick and fair enough look". Then he asked if I was an ex-felon. I was like "you just ran my license, am I an ex-felon". He said have a good night.

Quote Originally Posted by renoglock22 View Post
    Yeah my friend isn't so smart and should have kept up on his payments in the first place. When one officer told the one talking to me that I was armed I was asked if I had a CCW and then he turned to the other officer and asked him if he could see it. All I was thinking was he just told you I was armed therefore he can see it. Then when asked why I carry I replied "because I can". He looked at me with a "you're a dick and fair enough look". Then he asked if I was an ex-felon. I was like "you just ran my license, am I an ex-felon". He said have a good night.
    Did he seriously ask if you were an ex-felon? Because if you were, would that not imply right restoration? It is felons who are barred, not ex-felons.
    "Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by wrightme View Post
    Did he seriously ask if you were an ex-felon? Because if you were, would that not imply right restoration? It is felons who are barred, not ex-felons.

Yes, his exact words were, "are you an ex-felon or anything like that"

I would be completely stunned if she can FIND anything that supports what she tells you. Now, that IS likely what the LE feel they can try to do, and DO try to do, but it simply isn't supported by statute. That is why it is important to stand up for our Rights in LE encounters, so they do NOT have that false 'power' reinforced. They will do what they can.
    No she wasn't able to provide anything stating that LE had the rights she claimed. so i told her the statutes that said they didn't have those right, and she...well, simply had no argument left to put it nicely.

going to have breakfast tomorrow, OCing for the first time. Any suggestions. That may seem like a stupid question, but despite all that i have learned over the last few days, i'm still a little nervous
    Last edited by frodo0602; 02-17-2012 at 10:56 PM.

Founder's Club Member The Big Guy's Avatar
    No she wasn't able to provide anything stating that LE had the rights she claimed. so i told her the statutes that said they didn't have those right, and she...well, simply had no argument left to put it nicely.

going to have breakfast tomorrow, OCing for the first time. Any suggestions. That may seem like a stupid question, but despite all that i have learned over the last few days, i'm still a little nervous
    Nervous is normal. It'll subdue after a while.

TBG
    Article 1, Section 11, #1 of the Nevada Constitution: Every citizen has the right to keep and bear arms for security and defense, for lawful hunting and recreational use ..

Life member GOA and NRA. Member SAF, NAGR, & former member NVFAC.

28kfps

Enjoy the breakfast. Think about joining the group at PTs for dinner tomorrow evening.

Quote Originally Posted by MAC702 View Post
    Remember, "Law Enforcement Officer" is a title, not a job description.

And since cops are allowed to lie, and get to make up "reasonable cause" at any point after the encounter, this is why we recommend people, especially targeted people like OCers, carry and use recording equipment.

Question: If you are recording w/Audio/Video do you have to let the person know? In other states the answer is Yes, not sure about Nv.

P.S. I need to put some of you guys on SPEED DIAL

Good.

Now, for the niggle. LE don't have rights. Citizens have Rights.

Quote Originally Posted by frodo0602
    Nervous is normal. If you can get someone who is more comfortable with OC to go with, that may help a lot.

Print out the OC pamphlet from the sticky, study it, and have it with you.

Enjoy the breakfast. Think about joining the group at PTs for dinner tomorrow evening.
    which PTs...what time...I'll be there!

Good.

Now, for the niggle. LE don't have rights. Citizens have Rights.

Nervous is normal. If you can get someone who is more comfortable with OC to go with, that may help a lot.

Print out the OC pamphlet from the sticky, study it, and have it with you.
    lol, already on it! Thanks. That really would make me more comfortable to start out...to have someone with. I may wait until the PTs meet up that was in another response. It's great to have this input from you guys!

Quote Originally Posted by Rollbar View Post
    Question: If you are recording w/Audio/Video do you have to let the person know? In other states the answer is Yes, not sure about Nv.
    No need to be sneaky. If they see the recorder, they will know. Public officials have no expectation of privacy.

There's other threads on here about that.

2A
    Last edited by OC-moto450r; 08-02-2012 at 05:48 PM.

Yup, sorry, Rollbar please start new threads for questions.

But the conversation was related.
    Last edited by FallonJeeper; 02-18-2012 at 12:39 PM.

28kfps
    which PTs...what time...I'll be there!
    It is posted as Dinner at PTs.
    When: Feb 18th at 6pm
    Where: 5355 South Decatur Boulevard
    Las Vegas, NV 89118

It is posted as Dinner at PTs.
    When: Feb 18th at 6pm
    Where: 5355 South Decatur Boulevard
    Las Vegas, NV 89118
    i found the post after i asked about it...thanks though! However i spoke too soon. Could find no babysitter this close. I did go out with wife and son this morning and OC. We went to Chili's on North Decatur. Then went across the street to walk around Wal-Mart. We were in Chili's for about an hour, no one said a word. In Wal-Mart for about 1.5 hrs. I was proud to "educate" 3 people asking questions about my OCing! One guy asked if i "ever catch any [crap] for open carrying?" This was at the gun/ammo counter so i wasn't surprised that he knew it was legal. He told me he had his CCW on the way, but had never OCed. I told him it was my first day and it was going okay at that point. I told him about OC.org and how much i learned here, encouraged him to join.

There were two other guys walking behind me later and heard them start chattering about me: Is that a taser? No i think that's a gun. Heard one guys say "well as long as he has a CCW..." At that point i turned around and began the edumacation! We chatted for a minute about what the requirements were. At the end they thanked me for the info and we all went about our business. I won't lie, felt GREAT!

So all went well today. I'm sorry i won't be able to make it to PT's tonight. Maybe on the next go around.

28kfps
    i found the post after i asked about it...thanks though! However i spoke too soon. Could find no babysitter this close. I did go out with wife and son this morning and OC. We went to Chili's on North Decatur. Then went across the street to walk around Wal-Mart. We were in Chili's for about an hour, no one said a word. In Wal-Mart for about 1.5 hrs. I was proud to "educate" 3 people asking questions about my OCing! One guy asked if i "ever catch any [crap] for open carrying?" This was at the gun/ammo counter so i wasn't surprised that he knew it was legal. He told me he had his CCW on the way, but had never OCed. I told him it was my first day and it was going okay at that point. I told him about OC.org and how much i learned here, encouraged him to join.

There were two other guys walking behind me later and heard them start chattering about me: Is that a taser? No i think that's a gun. Heard one guys say "well as long as he has a CCW..." At that point i turned around and began the edumacation! We chatted for a minute about what the requirements were. At the end they thanked me for the info and we all went about our business. I won't lie, felt GREAT!

So all went well today. I'm sorry i won't be able to make it to PT's tonight. Maybe on the next go around.
    Cool sounds like a nice day out. I know what you mean about the babysitting issue. My son is being babysat by my three grandkids.
    Last edited by 28kfps; 02-18-2012 at 06:05 PM.

Saturday, I OC,d at PT's at the meetup. There were about 17 of us there. It was good to meet everyone. After my wife and I left PT's we went to Seafood City to do some shopping. No problems there. I walked by an armed security guard there, but he didn't even notice I was carrying. Then wifey and I went to Smith's on N. Durango/Elkhorn. No problems there either.

Sunday, I OC'd at Chow King at the Seafood City with my wife and son. Met my sister-in-law and her husband there. No problems. Later, OC'd at Walmart on Tropical in Centennial Hills for about 1 hour. No problems there.

I'm more comfortable OCing now. The fact that I have not had any bad encounters or otherwise had problems OCing has helped me to become more comfortable about it. But, I know the problems and encounters with business owners, customers, and cops are out there. It is, sadly, just a matter of time before something unpleasant happens. But so far, either people have noticed my firearm and have not reacted, or they have been oblivious to the fact that I am wearing a firearm on my hip. Either way, so far OCing has been a good experience for me.

The way it has been going for me so far is how it should go for all of us who OC, all the time. I hope it keeps going this way.
    Last edited by ed2276; 02-20-2012 at 10:08 AM.

Military Police with wrong info

this is a little off thread, but wanted to tell you guys. First off, i think it's really crazy that LEO, who are supposed to UPHOLD THE LAW, don't even know what the laws are concerning OCing (i realize some do). With that said, i expected my military police to be a little more informed. i'm military and was in my local shopette. Asked a passing military police about carrying guns on base; my intent WAS to find out what regulations i must adhere to to carry my personal firearms on base. he responded, "i don't know about on base, but in Nevada as long as you have a CCW you can carry your guns in the vehicle." I gave him a puzzled look and told him "i don't think you're correct, you only need a CCW if you carry it concealed, on your person, in the vehicle. As long as it's not concealed, you don't need a CCW to have a firearm in the vehicle." He mumbled some stuff about not knowing for sure, but i pressed on with finding out the regs for base. He seemed hesitant to answer anything for sure so he took my email address and told me he'd find the regs governing on-base carry and would let me know.

So i was just shocked at how clueless this guy was. I wasn't mad and didn't respond in an arrogant manner or anything...i was just shocked. I mean this guy signed up to do this for a living. I know he doesn't police anyone off base, but he should still know! However i was, for the most part, ignorant until recently as well. But i haven't sworn to uphold the laws for the citizens of this state either. I guess i just expect them to know more...military police or civilian. Don't these guys have to get at least an Associates degree in criminal justice. Can anyone explain to me what training cops have to go through and why they don't know more about these OC laws?

If they know, then they can't be ignorant and stop you to try to get you on other things

A letter needs to be written from OC.Org ( or whatever group ) to these municipalities so they can train their officers etc.
    Last edited by Rollbar; 02-21-2012 at 11:53 PM.

Clark County, NV-----------------------Mohave County, AZ
    ...Can anyone explain to me what training cops have to go through...
    Chain-of-command training.
    Political correctness training.
    Sensitivity training.

Not required:
    Marksmanship
    Escalation of force
    Law

Okay, I'm tired and on my way to bed. Take this post as pure entertainment and in no way factual...
    Blue & Gold Firearms Training; Clark County, NV
    "It's not important how many people I've killed. What's important is how I get along with the people who are still alive" - Jimmy the Tulip

Page 13 of 145 FirstFirst ... 311121314152363113 ... LastLast