• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Life threatening encounter?

abechira

I would like to hear from all who have had a life threatening situation while OCing, if there are any. What was the situation, in what state, what did you do and what would have you done differently? Please, no police encounters. More like the criminal element involved.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Welcome to OCDO.

Have you ever driven in Boston, Denver, Atlanta, Cincinnatti, Lincoln, Neb., Waco, anywhere in south Florida, on the Indiana Turnpike, East St. Louis, near any military base between 1500-1900 on a Friday, or behind my ex-wife? All are life-threatening encounters, and I've done all of them while OCing.

You might want to use the search function, or refine your question a bit. There's a tendency to mistrust new posters who jump right out there with overly broad questions that seek to have folks spill their guts, so to speak, about incidents involving them and the possible use of firearms.

I'm going to presume you want to learn something. What is it that you want to learn? Be specific.

stay safe.

j4l

1) Search function barely works, and when it does it usually improperly links you to un-related crap you arent searching for. Not an item exclusive to this forum-it happens with most such forums.
2) how can he frame the question more specific that than? Different folks in different situations in different states would be the ones answering. no one specific scenario is going to work for all of them.

Now, to answer- OC episodes? Outside of military service,none. CC or other, more than I care to remember.

MKEgal

a) welcome to the forum

b) listen to Skidmark

c) the only life-threatening encounter I've had in relation to OC was with police, so doesn't count for your question, even though they broke the law (so they were criminals)

d) suggest you check out the "true tales of self-defense" forum, which is right below the "open carry questions" forum on the main page

abechira

Welcome to OCDO.

Have you ever driven in Boston, Denver, Atlanta, Cincinnatti, Lincoln, Neb., Waco, anywhere in south Florida, on the Indiana Turnpike, East St. Louis, near any military base between 1500-1900 on a Friday, or behind my ex-wife? All are life-threatening encounters, and I've done all of them while OCing.

You might want to use the search function, or refine your question a bit. There's a tendency to mistrust new posters who jump right out there with overly broad questions that seek to have folks spill their guts, so to speak, about incidents involving them and the possible use of firearms.

I'm going to presume you want to learn something. What is it that you want to learn? Be specific.

stay safe.

Thank you for the welcoming.

I have never met, text, spoken with, emailed or read anyone such as you who have had so many life threatening encounters. Truly amazing that you are still alive. Or were you just stating that you live in a life with so many POTENTIAL life threatening encounters? Either way, my question stands and is pretty straight forward, sorry you couldn't understand it for what it was or maybe I don't know how to pose a question. As far asking people to "spill their guts", I am not!!! I am asking them to share their life experiences, why would it matter if it came from me or from someone else? We ALL still are able to read the posts and comment on them. You my friend are hilarious. but still, please don't take offense, I just thought it was amazing that you misunderstood the question from the very start, since I took great pains to be as specific as possible. You remind me of what lawyers argue about.

Judge- Sooo, you want to define 'IS' in this context of the QUESTION?

Lawyer1 - Yes, your Honor.

Judge- Well we should probably take a break and discuss this later in greater detail to come to a conclusion of what 'IS' means in this context to be able to determine the outcome of the QUESTION, and to be able to answer said QUESTION.

Lawyer1- Yes, Yes, thank you your Honor.

Judge- No problem, this is my job.

The QUESTION = "What IS your name?" :shocker:

Of course I'm teasing you a little and please forgive me if I have offended you. We call this firehouse humor. I was just trying to gain experience through others. I typically like to learn from others successes or failures. Sometimes learning them first hand can kill you.

abechira

1) Search function barely works, and when it does it usually improperly links you to un-related crap you arent searching for. Not an item exclusive to this forum-it happens with most such forums.
2) how can he frame the question more specific that than? Different folks in different situations in different states would be the ones answering. no one specific scenario is going to work for all of them.

Now, to answer- OC episodes? Outside of military service,none. CC or other, more than I care to remember.

Thank you!!! Since this is an OCing website I will keep questions of CCing to other forums I belong to. I'm just thinking that there are rarely any life threatening incidents while OCing. Just wanting to prove a point to myself. Be Cool!!

abechira

a) welcome to the forum

b) listen to Skidmark

c) the only life-threatening encounter I've had in relation to OC was with police, so doesn't count for your question, even though they broke the law (so they were criminals)

d) suggest you check out the "true tales of self-defense" forum, which is right below the "open carry questions" forum on the main page

For some reason you strike me as a person who probably will have more encounters with Police, call it just a hunch. :shocker:

Seriously, thank you for the guidance to "true tales of self-defense"

j4l

Thank you for the welcoming.

I have never met, text, spoken with, emailed or read anyone such as you who have had so many life threatening encounters. Truly amazing that you are still alive. Or were you just stating that you live in a life with so many POTENTIAL life threatening encounters? Either way, my question stands and is pretty straight forward, sorry you couldn't understand it for what it was or maybe I don't know how to pose a question. As far asking people to "spill their guts", I am not!!! I am asking them to share their life experiences, why would it matter if it came from me or from someone else? We ALL still are able to read the posts and comment on them. You my friend are hilarious. but still, please don't take offense, I just thought it was amazing that you misunderstood the question from the very start, since I took great pains to be as specific as possible. You remind me of what lawyers argue about.

Judge- Sooo, you want to define 'IS' in this context of the QUESTION?

Lawyer1 - Yes, your Honor.

Judge- Well we should probably take a break and discuss this later in greater detail to come to a conclusion of what 'IS' means in this context to be able to determine the outcome of the QUESTION, and to be able to answer said QUESTION.

Lawyer1- Yes, Yes, thank you your Honor.

Judge- No problem, this is my job.

The QUESTION = "What IS your name?" :shocker:

Of course I'm teasing you a little and please forgive me if I have offended you. We call this firehouse humor. I was just trying to gain experience through others. I typically like to learn from others successes or failures. Sometimes learning them first hand can kill you.

Get used to it. A lot of thin-skins around. Get all defensive at the slightest hint of sarcasm, and lack the ability to pick up on humor via text.
Whatever you do, never offer an opinion different from anything that promotes the gun-nut stereotype, you'll just get shouted down-even if you offer an alternative suggestion to anything.
And yes, a lot of them seem to have far more frequent LEO encounters,of a less than pleasant kind, than is the norm even for gangstas. Couldnt possibly imagine why or how.. :)rolleyes:)
But standby,though. With attitudes like these, Im certain there will be plenty of "encounters" for them regale us with at some point. When one goes through life so sensitive and easily touched off, lethal encounters will arise frequently.

Last edited:

j4l

Oh,almost forgot.
ALWAYS accept legal advice from folks barely qualified to operate a lemonade stand.
Google Law always trumps those of your own State/Local statutes at any time it contradicts the wishful-thinking of google-lawyers.
Disregard at all costs/at all times, the possibility of facing 5-10 yrs imprisonment and $5-10k(varies from state to state) in fines as a result of such advice. Only the forum members know the real laws that matter.
Just accept such advice as gospel, and no one's feelings will get hurt.

Badger Johnson

You seem to be equating an OC-er with a bully.

Yes, such an individual could be perceived as a POTENTIAL bully, by a passive-aggressive type, but if the OC-er never exhibits any overt behavior, then what distinguishes an OC-er from an innocent civilian minding their own business?

They're only opinionated if you ASK their opinion.