Thread: Dumb Question #10M

Dumb Question #10M

I carry most of the time, but I also have occasion to go places where my weapon is not welcome (my church is one). I am in the habit of securing my weapon in my car on those occasions.

Here in Alabama, in the summer, cars get very hot inside. I know that this causes deterioration of the ammo over time, but has anyone ever heard of it getting so hot inside a closed car that the ammunition detonated?

I've tried searching for this, but I'm not the most computer-literate old man running around.

Funny you mention this,Top. Was half-wondering about it today when I came to work.
    Had to leave my .45 secured in my vehicle-but @ 7am was already getting hot out.
    Wondered if maybe I should chance smuggling it in,and securing it in my desk,just in case..(supposed to approach high 90's here today)in the end I just left some of the windows upen a tiny bit...

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by SFCRetired View Post
    I carry most of the time, but I also have occasion to go places where my weapon is not welcome (my church is one). I am in the habit of securing my weapon in my car on those occasions.

Here in Alabama, in the summer, cars get very hot inside. I know that this causes deterioration of the ammo over time, but has anyone ever heard of it getting so hot inside a closed car that the ammunition detonated?

I've tried searching for this, but I'm not the most computer-literate old man running around.
    The Mythbusters tested ammo in an oven. At about 500 degrees (IIRC) the ammo went off. Those kinds of temperatures won't occur in a car in Death Valley at High Noon on a summer day with the heater going.

Quote Originally Posted by eye95 View Post
    The Mythbusters tested ammo in an oven. At about 500 degrees (IIRC) the ammo went off. Those kinds of temperatures won't occur in a car in Death Valley at High Noon on a summer day with the heater going.
    You certainly wouldn't want to be in the sun down there tho.

Quote Originally Posted by eye95 View Post
    I'm more worried about temperature swings ruining the ammo over time.

Im not sure it would effect the ammo-temp swings,that is- unless a lot of humidity were at play.

Quote Originally Posted by j4l View Post
    Im not sure it would effect the ammo-temp swings,that is- unless a lot of humidity were at play.
    After Desert Storm, I talked to several EOD guys I knew. They said that extreme heat (over 110/120 degrees) would cause most ammunition to become more sensitive. Keep in mind that they were concerned more with larger ordnance than small arms ammo. I also remember that they were more talking about items left in direct sunlight.

Glad to hear that it would take at least 500 degrees to set it off as that eases my mind a little.

Thanks to all; I knew someone here had an answer.

Quote Originally Posted by SFCRetired View Post
    After Desert Storm, I talked to several EOD guys I knew. They said that extreme heat (over 110/120 degrees) would cause most ammunition to become more sensitive. Keep in mind that they were concerned more with larger ordnance than small arms ammo. I also remember that they were more talking about items left in direct sunlight.

Glad to hear that it would take at least 500 degrees to set it off as that eases my mind a little.

Thanks to all; I knew someone here had an answer.
    Hooah, Top. Good day to ya.