• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Nothing to see here :)

MKEgal

Can't post for sale ads, esp. for guns.
Since Google ads fund the forum, we're held to their anti-gun standards:
(10) WE DO NOT ALLOW "FOR SALE" OR RAFFLE ADS:
We use Google Ads to help cover the expenses of the forum and their rules specifically disallow the sale of firearms, ammo and accessories (including the raffle of such). The good news is that one of our newest sponsors, OutdoorsTrader.com offers just such a service.

Also try www.gunbroker.com

ETA: Mike or John, about how much per month (or year) do those ads bring in?
How expensive would it be to make this a subscription site, so we could sell our private property to each other without being held to CA-liberal standards of conduct?

Last edited:

deadlifter

I have a website that costs $15/month. Granted its only a 4 page site for my business, with no forums, but I would imagine there are enough of us out there in the 50 states and territories to more than cover the expense.

Tell google to roll it up real tight and cram it.

AaronS

I have a website that costs $15/month. Granted its only a 4 page site for my business, with no forums, but I would imagine there are enough of us out there in the 50 states and territories to more than cover the expense.

Tell google to roll it up real tight and cram it.

Reality is that we need as many members as we can get. Power in numbers and all...
I also could pay for this site, but we would, with out question, see a drop in new members super fast if we started to charge (we would be the owners of this site (not me)).
I do wish we could sell on the site. It would be real nice of Google to start supporting American rights a little. Hell, any rights come to think about it...

deadlifter

My intention wasnt to charge people, but to let people decide how much they wish to contribute to operational costs.

I was just kinda thinkin out loud. I havent been around here long enough to start offerin advice on how to run it lol. I, like others, just so happen to despise google and have not used them for searches in over 2 years.

GLOCK21GB

Campaign Veteran
Can't post for sale ads, esp. for guns.
Since Google ads fund the forum, we're held to their anti-gun standards:

Also try www.gunbroker.com

ETA: Mike or John, about how much per month (or year) do those ads bring in?
How expensive would it be to make this a subscription site, so we could sell our private property to each other without being held to CA-liberal standards of conduct?

THIS >>>>> ETA: Mike or John, about how much per month (or year) do those ads bring in?

GlockMeisterG21

Campaign Veteran
I can only assume that not only does it go to pay for this website but for other things as well. Possibly pro-gun ads in other states or some such thing.

Perhaps we should start selling propane and propane accessories instead? Or potatoes? Everyone could use another potato.

cleveland

I pointed out this issue here not to long ago. It did not seem like something that people wanted a solution for.

http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/showthread.php?88826-For-Sale-on-OpenCarry.org

You will find that there are some people on this forum that enjoy arguing... for the sake of arguing. I say let em! It does not however change the fact that a site that claims to be pro-gun that lets it's rules be governed be an VERY ANTI-GUN company is rather sad and comical at the same time.

Getting rid of google ads and their anti-gun agenda would be simple. I am willing to bet that it would not be hard to work out a donation process that covers all the costs of this site, plus some. I am a member of one site in particular that solves this problem with a donation option. Like most forums it has a core group, and that's who pitches in to cover all the costs. Guns are not cheap! Most gun owners can afford to, and are willing to, donate to a worthy cause. They also added an extra forum with-in the forum that can only be viewed by members that have donated. It's a little extra for showing support, and it helps to weed out the trash. To that you ad the dozen or so members that own businesses and advertise on the site.

As pointed out earlier, this is a private site and the owners have the right to support whoever they like. They also have the right to receive funding from whoever they like. I sent a PM to one of them, but never got a reply. So I dropped it.

AaronS

I pointed out this issue here not to long ago. It did not seem like something that people wanted a solution for.

http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/showthread.php?88826-For-Sale-on-OpenCarry.org

You will find that there are some people on this forum that enjoy arguing... for the sake of arguing. I say let em! It does not however change the fact that a site that claims to be pro-gun that lets it's rules be governed be an VERY ANTI-GUN company is rather sad and comical at the same time.

Getting rid of google ads and their anti-gun agenda would be simple. I am willing to bet that it would not be hard to work out a donation process that covers all the costs of this site, plus some. I am a member of one site in particular that solves this problem with a donation option. Like most forums it has a core group, and that's who pitches in to cover all the costs. Guns are not cheap! Most gun owners can afford to, and are willing to, donate to a worthy cause. They also added an extra forum with-in the forum that can only be viewed by members that have donated. It's a little extra for showing support, and it helps to weed out the trash. To that you ad the dozen or so members that own businesses and advertise on the site.

As pointed out earlier, this is a private site and the owners have the right to support whoever they like. They also have the right to receive funding from whoever they like. I sent a PM to one of them, but never got a reply. So I dropped it.

I does remind me of the few gun shops around Milwaukee that will not allow open carry...
Again, I do not own this site, so I am just happy to be a free member.

davegran

Cassville Area -Twelve Miles From Anything, Wiscon
...great service to the OC community

.... They also added an extra forum with-in the forum that can only be viewed by members that have donated. It's a little extra for showing support, and it helps to weed out the trash....
Gee, I've been called a lot of things, but never, "trash". I couldn't afford a tax to post on here because I'm retired, on a fixed income, and I'm already paying the crushing Wisconsin property taxes. If you don't like the way this PRIVATELY OWNED forum is managed then please, vote with your feet.... Personally I'm thankful that John, also paying for a law education, provides this great service to the OC community.

Vandil

My $.02

Plenty of sites have memberships that are optional and provide access to normally invisible forum areas to cover costs. Reddit - Gold, Forumopolis - Goldstar for example. DakkaDakka.com has a trading+sales forum that is only accessible to DCM members. They all only run about 10% paid members.

deadlifter

Gee, I've been called a lot of things, but never, "trash". I couldn't afford a tax to post on here because I'm retired, on a fixed income, and I'm already paying the crushing Wisconsin property taxes. If you don't like the way this PRIVATELY OWNED forum is managed then please, vote with your feet.... Personally I'm thankful that John, also paying for a law education, provides this great service to the OC community.

No one is calling anyone trash, and no one has a problem, that I know of, the way this forum is run. I guess offering ideas and suggestion on how to get out from googles thumb is not up for discussion with you?

davegran

Cassville Area -Twelve Miles From Anything, Wiscon
No one is calling anyone trash, and no one has a problem, that I know of, the way this forum is run. I guess offering ideas and suggestion on how to get out from googles thumb is not up for discussion with you?
Oh, do you speak for member cleveland? If not, then don't presume to answer for him/her; and don't presume to draw conclusions about someone you don't know... me. That smacks of trolling....

deadlifter

Oh, do you speak for member cleveland? If not, then don't presume to answer for him/her; and don't presume to draw conclusions about someone you don't know... me. That smacks of trolling....

Wow! Relax buddy. Its not really a presumption that you dont want to discuss options if you tell me to leave the forum if I dont like the way its run lol. Thats fact.

I know Im new here, but if trying to offer my $.02 isnt welcome, then I guess I dont belong.

cleveland

davegran, I never called you trash. If I were to call you trash, I would say it directly so there was no misunderstanding.

deadlifter, thanks for your input. Don't let one persons reaction make your mind up about this forum.

rcawdor57

Campaign Veteran
All input is welcome here.

Wow! Relax buddy. Its not really a presumption that you dont want to discuss options if you tell me to leave the forum if I dont like the way its run lol. Thats fact.

I know Im new here, but if trying to offer my $.02 isnt welcome, then I guess I dont belong.

I hope you don't leave the site. This site is extremely invaluable to all of us. Together we have a very large voice and can make a difference.

Welcome deadlifter! Hope you stay and give us more of your 2 cents!