• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

disagreement over child meds leads to 12 hr. stand off between mother & police

lil_freak_66

my opinions at the bottom will be in red

sorry if this doesnt appropriately belong in this section,it may serve well in news/political alerts or even true tales of self defense,seeing as the mother apparently fired a shot to keep police away.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20110522...DeW5faGVhZGxpbmVfbGlzdARzbGsDbW90aGVyYmF0dGxl

here are some random snips from the article,it is NOT the full article and the snips may not be in order in relation to they're actual position in the article

DETROIT – Frustration over her physically impaired daughter's medical care led Maryanne Godboldo to lash out at what she considered state interference and into a 12-hour standoff when Detroit police came to take the girl away.

Godboldo doesn't trust doctors much — she blames some of the girl's past medical problems on possible physician negligence and complications from childhood immunizations, but did not name the doctors or release her daughter's medical records to The Associated Press. She claims the girl has responded better to holistic treatment that does not include Risperdal.

Our mandate is to go into court and prove there is medical neglect," said Human Services Director Maura Corrigan, who declined to speak directly about Godboldo's case due to the ongoing court proceedings. "Is there harm to the child? That's what we are trying to assess," Corrigan told the AP in a recent interview.

"I would always be concerned with a parent who has a gun and is using it when a child is present because accidents happen," said Oakland County Probate Court Judge Linda Hallmark, who isn't connected to the case but handles child custody issues. "If a parent feels the child is going to be removed and there isn't a basis for it, there are legal avenues that the parent needs to follow."

"Maryann did not shoot at police and she did not fire a gun with any intention of scaring the police," Folmar said. "But even if she did fire a so-called warning shot, right now the question is of self-defense."

personally,i feel the state was in the wrong,how can they take the child before they knew whether there is any harm being done to the child by not taking the medications,i feel that the mother was probably in the right to get into the standoff and even fire a shot(though it was not confirmed that a shot was even fired,they merely found an empty casing on scene)
and im hoping that it is found that she is not convicted criminally for her actions regarding this,and that she gets her child back,as well as an apology from the state and maybe even financial payments for undue stress,pain and suffering,public humiliation and whatever else she can get.

the state should not come take the child when they have not yet determined if the denying of medication causes severe adverse effects for the child.

I would be siding with the state had they already determined that the lack of medications was causing serious health problems,but the fact of the matter is that they did NOT determine that before ordering forfeiture of the child according to the news report.

opinions?

Last edited: