• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Buying and OC'ing a handgun

gregxj18

Thank God I found this website and spent 3 hours reading up on my right to open carry. Its great to know I can do that. My question comes along the lines of that. I am 19 and would really like to buy a Glock 23 to carry. I know the federal law that I cannot purchase a handgun until 21, but I've heard that I can purchase a handgun from a private seller before my 21st birthday. Is that true and where would I find a seller that I could purchase one from? Also I read online that you cannot shoot a handgun(being under 21) at a gun range without having someone over 21 to supervise. I would greatly appreciate advice from more experienced members than me. Im really excited to be able to open carry and can't wait to hear from you all

Thanks

langzaiguy

Welcome! At 18 you are an adult and can make adult decisions--if only the Federal government would understand that. Yes, you can legally buy a handgun and shoot it. Besides yard sales and Court Days, I don't know really where you would buy one. And no, you do not need supervision.

carry for myself

yep you are correct. to purchase through a FFL you must be 21, but private sales are 18+. try gun shows. usually no FFL usage there. ummm type in "used guns" with your state to google. see if there are any private sales sites that people can sell their guns on.

as long as you make SURE the gun still has the serial number on it, and get a bill of sale you should be all set.

the 21+ at a range is range determined. depending on the personal rules of each range you can shoot under 21 or 21 and over only. so do some research, call around and see what the ground rules for each range are.

you can always look for sand pits, pits, quarrys ect. check with your local PD to find out who owns the pit and if its okay to shoot there, if its private you can easily find out the owners contact information, and contact them. some will let you, some wont, some will require a small fee. either way it should be somewhat easy to find a place.

always check your local laws before doing anything though, im not from Kentucky so i dont know how things work there but im sure someone here can cite all the laws pertaining to your question :)

welcome to OCDO, happy shooting! :)