• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Need some help fingding a video...

Lord Sega

I can't remember when, could be 15 to 20 years back, there was a news piece on "60 minutes" or "20/20", one of the main broadcast news shows about guns and kids.

They conducted and experiment where families brought in their kids who were left in a room to play with the provided toys & other kids. The kids were (I think) around 7-9 years old, the only difference is whether the kids were in a household that didn't believe in guns (not even allowing toy guns, ie cap guns or nerf) and those who had been taught and trained what to do around guns.

All this was filmed through a one way mirror, with the parents watching, on how the kids would react when they found the real gun (safely disabled of course) that was buried in a toy basket.

As you can imagine, those from the anti-gun homes consistently picked the gun up, pointed it around and even pulled the trigger several times as the parents stood there dumbstruck.

When the kids with training, gun friendly, homes found the gun they made sure no one touched it and went to get an adult.

So even if you don't believe in guns, and don't want them in your home (your choice) this shows that discussion and training for kids in what to do is still a necessity.

I have been looking/searching all over the web for this news article, so I come to you OC.org, if anyone can find it, we can. Like I said it's old, but I hope to find a download-able copy.
If anyone can find this video on the web, please reply with a link.

Dreamer

15-20 years ago was before the WWW, so this video very well may not be on the net in any form, unless someone happened to record it on tape all those years ago, and has since converted it and posted it on YouTube or something...

Good luck finding it--Please post a link here if you do!

Jack House

I remember seeing that. And the conclusion they came to was that teaching your kids not to play with guns didn't do a damned thing.

Dreamer

Except those parents didn't teach their child not to play with guns. They taught him that guns were bad, and something he was forbidden to even look at. Earlier in the piece, the mother said he was so effectively trained that when a gun was displayed on TV, he would grab the remote and change the channel...

Nowhere did the parents say they had actually trained him the proper safe handling--just that they had attempted to teach him avoidance through fear and parental authority...

My dad taught me the "WHY" about not handling guns when I was little (I think I was about 6 or 7) in a very visual way. First he set a plastic milk jug full of water on a fencepost and shot it. That was pretty cool, I though, watching the jug explode.

Then he took a watermelon and did the same thing. That was messy, and a little disconcerting to see as a small child.

Then he took a stuffed teddy bear and shot that. Then he turned to me and said, "and guns can do the same thing to you, or another person if you play with them. And you wouldn't want that to happen would you?..." That pretty much drove the point home with me...

I never touched a gun without adult supervision until I was 18, and my dad kept his guns in the hall closet, without trigger locks or a safe, and the ammo was on the top shelf of the closet. Never was an issue in our house.

Last edited:

HKcarrier

I tried a little experiment with my kids the other day...

I field stripped my USP and handed the frame only to my kids.... the asked me what it was and I just told them that it was a clicker... I wanted to see if they could pull the trigger.. (3 and 6)... the 6 year old could pull the trigger, as expected... (stock trigger.. 8-10lb double action pull) but it was HARD for him to do and took 2 hands/fingers...

What the 3 year old did about made my heart stop... he tried and tried to pull it even using 2 fingers like his brother did... then something happened that I did not necessarily expect. Knowing his thumbs are stronger, he turned it right around and with "the muzzle" pointing at his face, was able to pull the trigger with his 2 little thumbs.

To be honest my heart instantly dropped and I nearly came to tears... just to see such an innocent mind and to see/think about what some kids actually do with a LOADED gun. Never even knowing what hit them... just like those 2 little boys playing in the video and the one "who would NEVER touch a gun"... they never even knew how close they came.

Stupid sissy liberals. How about taking your kid to the range or out with someone you know is a "gun nut" and do just what someone's dad did... show them what it does to a watermelon... Then ask what they think would happen to their head.

Anyways, I already planned on showing my kids exactly what a gun can do and what it sounds like, etc... so they can understand the power that they have.

Last edited:

Badger Johnson

Just shows me that 'psychologists' are out of touch with life. Everyone knows that we want to do that which is forbidden. It takes a lot of education to get that dumb, apparently.

C

Calebs

Hi Dreamer,
I am not sure Lord Sega wants that video you shared or not but it taught me and most of the viewers a lesson.
I think teaching kids about guns in that age is to early and not safe.
By the way may I have the hearing of John Edward case.

sudden valley gunner

Just shows me that 'psychologists' are out of touch with life. Everyone knows that we want to do that which is forbidden. It takes a lot of education to get that dumb, apparently.

Quoted for truth!!!

And they have been used by some to convict and ruin innocent peoples lives. Just ask Janet Reno ( she has imprisoned an innocent man for life, for her political goals).

sudden valley gunner

And they have been used by some to convict and ruin innocent peoples lives. Just ask Janet Reno ( she has imprisoned an innocent man for life, for her political goals).

http://www.oranous.com/innocence/FrankFuster/mediacoverage.html

There are two type of prosecutors those interested in justice and those interested in convictions. Rudy Giolani, is another that used prosecution to further his career using underhanded techniques and reinventing law. Unfortunately for those who go through the human meat grinder we like to call our justice system, those interested in convictions and furthering their political careers are now the norm.