• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

LAX Trib "opinion"

Krusty

Yet another "anti" with no facts, just opinion. Their outlook on life is the reason I refuse to subscribe to their "news" paper. I've even refused to accept FREE papers when they were offered.

protias

"Clean government?" bwahahahahahahaha *breathes* hahahahahaha

We've had so much corruption in the last 8 years.

MKEgal

I had to laugh at the top picture. The caption simply says "gun".

If you’re a criminal, a stalker, a spouse abuser, the subject of a restraining order
...you can't legally carry anyway. So what's their point? They think a list of permit holders will somehow stop criminals (listed above) from carrying?

the least we can expect as citizens is the ability to review the list of applicants and to make sure that the state bureaucracy is fulfilling its obligation to public safety
So he wants to be able to view the list & run his own background checks on everyone, just to double-check?

Besides, knowing things like how many applications, how many permits, why some were denied, and what the average processing time is is a resonable open records request. Knowing personally identifiable information is NOT.

How about we register & make public the names of all people who withdraw more than $5000 from their bank in a year? They might be buying drugs, so we should allow the public to run background checks on them, & know where they live.

How about we register & make public the names of all people who buy more than $2000 worth of jewelry? What's the harm in letting your neighbors know how much you love your wife (or girlfriend... or both)?

hardballer

I had to laugh at the top picture. The caption simply says "gun".

...you can't legally carry anyway. So what's their point? They think a list of permit holders will somehow stop criminals (listed above) from carrying?

So he wants to be able to view the list & run his own background checks on everyone, just to double-check?

Besides, knowing things like how many applications, how many permits, why some were denied, and what the average processing time is is a resonable open records request. Knowing personally identifiable information is NOT.

How about we register & make public the names of all people who withdraw more than $5000 from their bank in a year? They might be buying drugs, so we should allow the public to run background checks on them, & know where they live.

How about we register & make public the names of all people who buy more than $2000 worth of jewelry? What's the harm in letting your neighbors know how much you love your wife (or girlfriend... or both)?

Just a quick FYI, They do make you sign a paper and send it to the Federal Government if you deposit or withdraw over $2000 dollars, last I checked. They also make you sign papers and they take all your info if you purchase gold or silver in quantities over $2000 dollars. Not sure about Jewelry. This is what we have allowed them to do to us all in the name of "the drug war". This is all about control, not safety. Not interdicting criminals. It is about control. Period. Do not be deceived.

VW_Factor

Just a quick FYI, They do make you sign a paper and send it to the Federal Government if you deposit or withdraw over $2000 dollars, last I checked. They also make you sign papers and they take all your info if you purchase gold or silver in quantities over $2000 dollars. Not sure about Jewelry. This is what we have allowed them to do to us all in the name of "the drug war". This is all about control, not safety. Not interdicting criminals. It is about control. Period. Do not be deceived.

I've never had to do this when I've taken my money between banks..

Is this a state thing perhaps?

Wolf1477

I've never had to either.

Few examples:

Withdrew 12k in cash for a car a couple/few years ago.

I worked for a company that ran ATM routes. At any given time I would have up to $50k on my person traveling all over this state and northern Il. If we'd had to sign paperwork every time we withdrew from the "ATM refill fund" (every day) it would have been a nightmare.

When I moved up here I brought the down payment to my new house in cash, withdrawn from my CU down in Janesville.

Big Dipper

Nutczak

The Northwoods, lakeland area, Wisconsin, USA
I commented on the article

I made a comparison between the DMV making license plate issuance a publicly viewable list, and how either list would be dangerous to let out in the open. And that operating a motor vehicle on public roadways is a privilege, not a right.

Now the question is. "are they intelligent enough to understand why it would be stupid to have lists of gun owners published, and how this correlates to listing license plate numbers.

VW_Factor

Wire transfers and checks are not subject to this reporting - only cash amounts $10,000 or greater.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Currency_transaction_report

http://www.fincen.gov/forms/bsa_forms/

and NOT just banks.

http://www.irs.gov/businesses/small/article/0,,id=148821,00.html

I certainly did not wire transfer my money from Chase. I went in, paid off my credit card they closed down (from it not being open long enough or some ****) and pulled out the rest of my money as cash, and I mean ALL of it.

I still had no forms to fill out or sign for the federal government.

Edit : I then took all my cash across the street to a credit union who appreciated my business.

Last edited:

VW_Factor

Just a thought.. Perhaps because the sum of my accounts were greater than, but none by themselves were greater than?

TangoDown

"If you’re a criminal, a stalker, a spouse abuser, the subject of a restraining order, it’s easy to understand why you wouldn’t want anyone knowing that you’re carrying a concealed weapon."

Thats why they alraedy just get a gun and tuck it in the waistband without anyone knowing. Or are we to asume once CC is law, that they will file for a permishion slip so they can go about there ilegal activities? Stupid friggin anti's :banghead: I'll never understandem!!:cuss: