• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OC doing lawn work

RetiredOC

Campaign Veteran
Does anyone else OC ALL THE TIME on their own property? How do your neighbors take it? I OC all the time, especially when mowing the law or washing my car. Yesterday I caught my nieghbor across the street standing there with his arms crossed watching me cut the grass like this :shocker: (Glock 22 in a bianchi accumold paddle holster)

One neighbor asked my wife when I walked away from a conversation to go get something, "does your husband always carry a gun?" She replied, "he sleeps with it..."

carry for myself

i do. i OC at home, wherever i go, at work *groundskeeping*, in the shower *have it in a ziplock freezer bag* in thatnice little rack my gf bought.

I oc when cleaning the car, taking out the trash, standing on the porch.

the main entrance to my apartment is in the rear of the building so only 1 or two neighbors have noticed. havnt said anything other than a quick "look and smile".

the more you do it, the more they get used to it :)

RetiredOC

Campaign Veteran
I don't do it SO PEOPLE SEE ME, more just for comfort. I make sure to throw my shirt over it when going to the mail box since my property stops at the sidewalk.

Outdoorsman1

I also OC when ever and where ever it is legal (Wisconsin). It has gotten to the point that I feel very uncomfortable without my pistol at my side. I also sleep with it within arms reach... ALWAYS fully loaded @ 12+1.... XD-40

Outdoorsman1

j4l

Constantly. Inside/outside the home.
Neighbors here understand completely as they know the situation out here, and the continued,violent threat of another armed and dangerous neighbor who's still free as a jaybird and living amongst us.
Can tell you flat out,though, that the visible deterrent has worked well thus far.
Said threat has severely toned down his antics, and laid low ever since I began doing so.
There have been no further breaks-ins, or attempts at same since-so far-vigilance is continued,though.

Just had a new couple move in across the street though. Havent yet had a chance to talk with him, but they have clearly seen my .45 on my hip at all times, and havent raised an eyebrow, soo. Doubt there'll be any issues with them.

Local LE in my sector are aware of the situation, and have no issue either. So no hassles from them to worry about. But then, being on the local advisory committee helps with that also. But they also are aware that it;s-on average- a 45 min to an hour response time for them to get out here even for shots-fired calls,and they are aware that I'll do whatever I need to until then. (see folks,communication in a mature -rather than confrontational,manner can work if you try it.. ;).)

As we write-Im in and out all day working around the grounds-strapped at all times. So,no issues here.

ATF Consumer

Yep, I OC everywhere I go...I really don't pay much attention to what the expressions of others are. When out and about, I try to be as nice and polite to everyone I encounter...opening and hold the door for others.
I have yet to have a bad experience out and about, except with LEO's.

j4l

Cant say Ive had any bad encounters with LEOs. The only one where it was an issue was when I first started to OC at home. A neighbor from another street saw it in passing and called the cops.
They came out ,we talked for about 1 min, clarified it was on my own property anyway-and given the situation here from a few days before,they were totally understanding. Convo lasted all of about 1 min max, and they were off on their way.
They went over to the neighbor who called and flat out told her to mind her biz.

MR Redenck

I like to carry a gun on me aroud the hood. Nobody say's anthing. I have had the sheriffs department call me before saying somebody drove by and claimed I pointed a gun at them. " If I have to point a gun, im shooting the gun because I see it as a last resort". Most of my neighbors are either retired LEO's or still working as LEO's. They dont care what I do, might be because im the one always catching the crooks in this neighborhood.

ixtow

Founder's Club Member
I do it to be seen, which is ironic, because I don't like being seen.

But if I don't put that aside, how will I spread the word?

I OC my 1911 around the house, in the yard, etc...

I 'OC' things like my P38 holster or a 30rd AK mag (full). Not because I'm trying to start something, but if nobody notices, nobody talks. Advocacy is far more effective, as REAL OCers know, when the inquisitive choose to ask you of their own accord. I give them something to ask/talk about.

Damn, now I have that song in my head.

What do my neighbors think? they're mostly the confused redneck sort. Big mud tires, but listen to rap. I really don't care what they think.

Last edited:

RetiredOC

Campaign Veteran
Nothing makes you feel like a free American more than grilling out with a 1911 on your hip.

(This thread was originally geared towards Floridians seeing as we can only OC on our own property and not "out and about." (unless fishing, camping, etc))

ixtow

Founder's Club Member
Nothing makes you feel like a free American more than grilling out with a 1911 on your hip.

(This thread was originally geared towards Floridians seeing as we can only OC on our own property and not "out and about." (unless fishing, camping, etc))

I've been wondering about the Camping bit. Gainesville is quite hostile towards the Homelessness it creates. Worse than other metropolitan areas in Florida.

Homelessness is essentially perpetual Camping... I'm unsure how a sane person can NOT call it that. Not to mention that the Tent City is their 'home.' You can even send mail there...

So, if you're Perpetually Camping at your residence where you receive Mail addressed to you at that residence... Doesn't that make homeless people able to OC anywhere they want all the time? It seems they meet two exceptions.

If you can't call it a residence, even though it meets the definition of a residence; you still have the camping thing... It's either both of them, or one of them... The argument falls on itself if you try to make it oppose all...

Last edited:

77zach

I've been wondering about the Camping bit. Gainesville is quite hostile towards the Homelessness it creates. Worse than other metropolitan areas in Florida.

Homelessness is essentially perpetual Camping... I'm unsure how a sane person can NOT call it that. Not to mention that the Tent City is their 'home.' You can even send mail there...

So, if you're Perpetually Camping at your residence where you receive Mail addressed to you at that residence... Doesn't that make homeless people able to OC anywhere they want all the time? It seems they meet two exceptions.

If you can't call it a residence, even though it meets the definition of a residence; you still have the camping thing... It's either both of them, or one of them... The argument falls on itself if you try to make it oppose all...

Hilarious the conclusions our "laws" necessarily lead to. Actually, I don't immediately see what they could get you on. Techically, Fl is a gold star open carry state for the homeless.

Badger Johnson

I'm trying to learn how to carry and how to have my HG with me, so I carry all the time. I'm trying to train myself to be consistent.

I don't necessarily feel a threat exists, but I know I'd feel like an idiot if I left my HG in the safe the one time something happened. It takes concentration and diligence and tenacity, and those are developed through practice.

Therefore I do not see it as paranoid. I don't do it because I'm afraid, I do it because I want to create a habit. To me my HG is just a tool, like my knife or cellphone. I'd feel just as dumb if I left my cellphone at home.

77zach

I'm trying to learn how to carry and how to have my HG with me, so I carry all the time. I'm trying to train myself to be consistent.

I don't necessarily feel a threat exists, but I know I'd feel like an idiot if I left my HG in the safe the one time something happened. It takes concentration and diligence and tenacity, and those are developed through practice.

Therefore I do not see it as paranoid. I don't do it because I'm afraid, I do it because I want to create a habit. To me my HG is just a tool, like my knife or cellphone. I'd feel just as dumb if I left my cellphone at home.

The establishment tries to make it so that carrying is seen as demented and paranoid, meanwhile it's the government and its lapdog media that is beyond paranoid and completely insane.

http://www.koat.com/r-video/27979990/detail.html

Just one of countless examples.

cforlizzo

I OC at all times at home. I too would "sleep with my gun" but have to use night stand safe due to my young boys. My neighbours like that I OC, and has made one of them decide to get CWP for him and his wife.

77zach

That took me to 'TSA patdowns'. Wrong link?

No...my point is that the government wants to search kids at prom night for weapons. The state leaves nothing to chance when protecting itself from its tax victims, or when supposedly trying to protect us from imaginary terrorists. Look at the president's security when he goes to an event. When Bush II came nearby, they had divers in retention ponds in the days before his arrival looking for a terrorist plot.

ADulay

Although I normally don't carry for yard work (like I actually do any of it anyway), I do OC every day that I travel to and from my regular fishing haunts and lately that's been just about every single day.

At first I was a bit self conscious about it, but as the weeks have moved on, I don't even think about it now.

As a retired guy, I have all the time in the world to ride the motorcycle to go fishing or shooting down at the state range. OC carry for both events is covered under the now "burned into my memory" 790.25.3(h) and (j).

Quite a few people have asked me about the gun while I've been on a fishing pier and we generally have a very informative conversation. Almost to a person, NONE of them were aware of the Florida Statutes covering this!

I give them the web site to check it out for themselves or if they don't have a pencil, a 3x5 card with the info.

So, my daily open carry isn't for yardwork, it's for road work!

AD

ixtow

Founder's Club Member
I wear pants every day. Am I paranoid that someone is trying to get a look at Mr. Winkie?

I wear a watch most of the time. Am I paranoid that Time will suddenly shift without my knowledge?

I have an umbrella. Am I paranoid that the weather is out to get me?

I have Car Insurance. I'm FORCED to have car insurance. Am I paranoid that someone is going to wreck their SUV into me while talking on a cell phone? Well, yeah, kinda...

The only example where actual paranoia exists, is the government mandated one.... Figure it out yet?

Having the right to defend one's self is not the same as being able. Your right to life means nothing if you cannot enforce it. Plenty of people in the Cemetery had a Right to live...