• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Kirkland - Man attacked by pit bulls, shoots one of them in self defense

jddssc121

http://www.komonews.com/news/local/122396329.html

A leisurely Saturday afternoon in the park quickly mutated into a real-life horror scene when three pit bulls attacked a man and his German shepherd without warning, police said.

During the unprovoked attack, the man pulled out his concealed weapon and opened fire, hitting one of the pit bulls and scaring off the others.

Note - watching the video, he has a CPL badge *facepalm*

bajadudes

I take note that this happened in a park. In NC we are currently not allowed to OC or CC in parks. Hopefully new legislation making it's way through the State sausage machine will soon change that.

Metalhead47

I take note that this happened in a park. In NC we are currently not allowed to OC or CC in parks. Hopefully new legislation making it's way through the State sausage machine will soon change that.

... and just how long ago was it the fools in Seattle were trying to (unlawfully) ban park carry? Since no one needs a gun in a park after all. :banghead:

Caught this on the news the other night and I was slightly impressed by their coverage, they said the guy "had to pull out his gun and shoot the attacking dog." Had to, as if acknowledging it was a measure of last resort, and unavoidable. :cool:

TechnoWeenie

He has no injuries, and his dog doesn't seem too beat up.

Hmm....

I'm on the fence on this one...

The 'badge' makes it seem like he was looking for a reason to use his gun.

Trigger Dr

Hmm....

Having been attacked by 2 pit bulls I can say he was well within his rightful duty to shoot. Do not critisize his actions until you have been there.

Dave Workman

In self-defense: Kirkland pit bull incident probably a ‘good shoot’

The weekend shooting of an aggressive pit bull at a Kirkland park appears to fall well within the guidelines of self-defense under this state’s statutes, and the incident has ignited a furious debate about dangerous dogs.
The case, according to Alan Gottlieb, executive vice president of the Second Amendment Foundation in Bellevue, underscores why his organization fought to nullify Seattle’s illegal parks gun ban.

http://www.examiner.com/gun-rights-...kland-pit-bull-incident-probably-a-good-shoot

Squeak

Hmm....

Did you hear what the witness said? We had a PB attack one of my dogs as she was sitting on my lap! I was very close to shooting the mutt! The only reason I didn't was because there were 5 people sitting very close to each other.

Claytron

He has no injuries, because he shot the dog, are you suggesting that he should have let the dog bite him first..before shooting the dog?

Or maybe he has no injuries because he wasnt attacked? Lets keep in mind that we dont have a video or even eye witness statements about what happened. You have one guy saying he was attacked and would have been killed and one guy saying his life was never in danger.

The guy with the three dogs could have been a ****** owner and raised violent dogs which then attacked someone because he had them off the leash like a moron or the guy with the shepard could have seen the three dogs coming over and decided it was his chance to use his gun even though they werent threatening. We dont know the truth, all we have is what the two men said.

Sometimes when people read a story they are inclined to believe whoever or whatever fits their views.

amlevin

Did you hear what the witness said? We had a PB attack one of my dogs as she was sitting on my lap! I was very close to shooting the mutt! The only reason I didn't was because there were 5 people sitting very close to each other.

In those "Family Setting (or sitting) type environments" a can of OC spray can be real handy. I've seen dogs go into reverse so fast they tear up the sod and push it in front of them when getting sprayed in the snoot. Really effective if they happen to take a big breath between barks. Just remember to save a couple of "squirts" for the owner of the dog should they take exception to your "macing poor Daisy" and want to take a swing at you.

Last edited:

Squeak

In those "Family Setting (or sitting) type environments" a can of OC spray can be real handy. I've seen dogs go into reverse so fast they tear up the sod and push it in front of them when getting sprayed in the snoot. Really effective if they happen to take a big breath between barks. Just remember to save a couple of "squirts" for the owner of the dog should they take exception to your "macing poor Daisy" and want to take a swing at you.

Just to state the stupidity of some dog owners, the owner had a shock collar on her dog ( which is why I allowed the PB to even get close) but didn't have any batteries in it!:banghead:

Badger Johnson

How quickly can you deploy and fire your OC spray and how accurate are you with it? Also, if it does not have the desired effect, what do you do then? There's no time to put down the spray and get your HG drawn.

If a dog really wants to attack and bite you, I don't think there's time for non-lethal methods unless you have a special carry rig and you practice a lot on the exact threat.

You don't know how big these three dogs were. How can you OC spray three dogs? It's impossible. OTOH, a HG makes a loud noise and will slow down the attack, enabling you to attempt an escape, ISTM. I would not blame ANYONE for using a HG on a huge dog, especially a breed known to be dangerous, despite what the owner says about his 'puppy' who just wanted to play.

amlevin

How quickly can you deploy and fire your OC spray and how accurate are you with it? Also, if it does not have the desired effect, what do you do then? There's no time to put down the spray and get your HG drawn.

If a dog really wants to attack and bite you, I don't think there's time for non-lethal methods unless you have a special carry rig and you practice a lot on the exact threat.

You don't know how big these three dogs were. How can you OC spray three dogs? It's impossible. OTOH, a HG makes a loud noise and will slow down the attack, enabling you to attempt an escape, ISTM. I would not blame ANYONE for using a HG on a huge dog, especially a breed known to be dangerous, despite what the owner says about his 'puppy' who just wanted to play.

I was referring to Squeak's post where the danger of shooting Grandma and here three sisters was too great (or whoever the others sitting close together were).

As for your opening comment, what makes you think I have only one hand. I've always trained with OC in my LEFT hand. Makes it possible, should I choose, to draw my pistol at the same time.

Aaron1124

IMHO the same logic can be applied when defending from an attacking human. Say, a much smaller man (or woman) is about to be assaulted by a much larger, but unarmed man. Now, I am not a small guy, but I also don't want to take a risk and have a hand to hand fight in an uncontrolled environment. My first line of defense against an unarmed assailant would be my O.C. spray. Also, O.C. spray comes in various types of sprain, ranging from direct stream, mist, fog, cone, and a few others. They specifically design them differently, for different types of situations. One situation being multiple attackers.

Last edited:

amzbrady

He has no injuries, because he shot the dog, are you suggesting that he should have let the dog bite him first..before shooting the dog?

(Sarcasm on)
Isnt that the way it works for us. Arent we supposed to be able to prove our life has been threatened, with life threatening injuries. Isnt there a standard measurement of blood loss that we are supposed to go by before we can defend ourselves with a firearm? I dont think we are allowed to prevent an attack, we are only allowed to stop one after it has started.
(Sarcasm off)

BTW, where are people getting these badges? I would think a badge could be construed as impersonating something....???

amlevin

BTW, where are people getting these badges? I would think a badge could be construed as impersonating something....???

You can order them from the Internet. Lots of sources. They're legal as as far as I know. As for "impersonating something", the first thing that comes to my mind is they are impersonating "smart".

Metalhead47

You can order them from the Internet. Lots of sources. They're legal as as far as I know. As for "impersonating something", the first thing that comes to my mind is they are impersonating "smart".

Yes... You're trying to carry "concealed" yet you're advertising that you're armed...

Perhaps an open carry badge would be slightly less douchy?

Then again, maybe not...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NavyMike

Kirkland code

Kirkland still officially bans firearms from parks; despite state preemption. A code rewrite goes before their Public Safety Subcommittee next month, followed by the full council in July. Thankfully Kirkland Police have been informed to follow state law until further notice.

It will be interesting to see if this incident is raised at the committee hearing.