• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Kirkland - Man attacked by pit bulls, shoots one of them in self defense

TechnoWeenie

He has no injuries, because he shot the dog, are you suggesting that he should have let the dog bite him first..before shooting the dog?

Clearly, as the dog was getting it's life together. Straight A's in school, was looking for a job, and trying to start a new life after getting in many fights when he was young.

Badger Johnson

As for your opening comment, what makes you think I have only one hand. I've always trained with OC in my LEFT hand. Makes it possible, should I choose, to draw my pistol at the same time.

Fair enough. Have you ever tried a live drill? Have your spray on you and at a random time your buddy yells 'dog at 4:00', and see how fast you can deploy and spray? If you can do it in 3 seconds, (roughly) including time to uncap the durn thing and point the opening, and you always have it on you, then OK. Of course OC spray cans don't have a sight so it takes longer to get a hit on the nose (meaning you have to be more accurate). With a HG a hit anywhere is going to slow the dog down, and you have more bullets available. An OC runs out in a few seconds, IIRC.

But, again, what if you're down wind? To me, big dog (or three) is much more dangerous than a human, faster and more determined to sink teeth into you. I just don't think I'd want to play around. With a human there's such a big down side to shooting/killing I agree OC is a better option. You can out maneuver a human, but no way can you evade a dog (or three - impossible). Out of 10 trials, I'd guess you get bit 9 times and hit spray once. Too low odds for me.

With spray seems like you're 'spray and pray'. Gun you shoot and you pretty much get results. Don't know how much you practice with your OC but I'd bet you practice more with your HG than your OC by far.

In this case, three dogs is a pack and that makes behavior more unpredictable.

Anyway, just sayin'...

Last edited:

sigfan

Kirkland still officially bans firearms from parks; despite state preemption. A code rewrite goes before their Public Safety Subcommittee next month, followed by the full council in July. Thankfully Kirkland Police have been informed to follow state law until further notice.

It will be interesting to see if this incident is raised at the committee hearing.

Kirkland police has also been advised to lick my beanbag after the incident I got charged with there. That doesn't mean they are going to follow as advised.

From what I understand, Kirkland police are officially WAY over staffed. They story is that they had planned to annex a few areas and therefor staffed up new police to handle the job. Since the annexation hasn't gone smoothly, Kirland police are overstaffed and bored so they are doing things that city cops don't normally do -- like patrol 405. They also need to make up revenue to pay for those cops since they don't have taxes coming in from those areas they planned to annex. This creates the perfect **** storm. Police who are bored and need to justify their existence with fines are a dangerous combination for law-abiding citizens. Exercise extreme caution while carrying there.

Monroe

OC and animals

How quickly can you deploy and fire your OC spray and how accurate are you with it? Also, if it does not have the desired effect, what do you do then? There's no time to put down the spray and get your HG drawn.

How can you OC spray three dogs?

"Bear spray detoured attacks in 92% of the reported cases in the State of Alaska whereas firearms detoured only 68%."
http://northwestexplorerblog.blogspot.com/2011/04/best-defense-against-bears.html

This is a VERY interesting article. And, like using oc against a person, the preferred method would be to be ready to use the firearm if it fails.

Monroe

http://www.komonews.com/news/local/122396329.html

A leisurely Saturday afternoon in the park quickly mutated into a real-life horror scene when three pit bulls attacked a man and his German shepherd without warning, police said.
During the unprovoked attack, the man pulled out his concealed weapon and opened fire, hitting one of the pit bulls and scaring off the others.

Two irresponsible dog owners with their dogs off-leash (the article doesn't say this is an off-leash area, and if it is, I am sorry. I am not aware of a dog park there). They are both idiots and jerks! At least the person who unleashed a deadly weapon in the form of a pack of killer dogs gets to pay the vet bill.

Note - watching the video, he has a CPL badge *facepalm*

He may have gotten that out afterwards to try and keep from getting shot...still silly.

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran
"Bear spray detoured attacks in 92% of the reported cases in the State of Alaska whereas firearms detoured only 68%."
http://northwestexplorerblog.blogspot.com/2011/04/best-defense-against-bears.html

This is a VERY interesting article. And, like using oc against a person, the preferred method would be to be ready to use the firearm if it fails.

Bear spray is very effective against.....bears. However, I like to travel light and carry as little as possible when out and about. Therefore I carry a firearm. I am not looking to 'detour' a bear attack. I am looking to end the attack.

Trigger Dr

Bear spray is very effective against.....bears. However, I like to travel light and carry as little as possible when out and about. Therefore I carry a firearm. I am not looking to 'detour' a bear attack. I am looking to end the attack.

When in the woods, and you see a pile of crap, you can always tell if it is bear crap. Bear crap has bells in it and smells like OC or Pepper spray.

Aaron1124

When in the woods, and you see a pile of crap, you can always tell if it is bear crap. Bear crap has bells in it and smells like OC or Pepper spray.

I think the original joke had to do with being able to tell the difference between black bear crap and brown bear crap. The black bear crap had berries in it, and the brown bear crap had bells and smelled like pepper. Or something like that! LOL

BigDave

Opt-Out Members
Kirkland still officially bans firearms from parks; despite state preemption. A code rewrite goes before their Public Safety Subcommittee next month, followed by the full council in July. Thankfully Kirkland Police have been informed to follow state law until further notice.

It will be interesting to see if this incident is raised at the committee hearing.

Just because it is online does not mean it is up to date, contact the city for the updated ordinance and effective date.

sudden valley gunner

Kirkland police has also been advised to lick my beanbag after the incident I got charged with there. That doesn't mean they are going to follow as advised.

From what I understand, Kirkland police are officially WAY over staffed. They story is that they had planned to annex a few areas and therefor staffed up new police to handle the job. Since the annexation hasn't gone smoothly, Kirland police are overstaffed and bored so they are doing things that city cops don't normally do -- like patrol 405. They also need to make up revenue to pay for those cops since they don't have taxes coming in from those areas they planned to annex. This creates the perfect **** storm. Police who are bored and need to justify their existence with fines are a dangerous combination for law-abiding citizens. Exercise extreme caution while carrying there.

I can 2nd the A-holeness of Kirkland PD (and their courts). I was assaulted with a vehicle and then sucker punched, when the cops were taking my report and found out who it was "old man-so and so" (apparently someone well known in Kirkland) those two officers left with that report two new officers came and I ended up hand cuffed and arrested and charged.

Another interesting thing about your report is I bet the areas that were to be annexed are doing just fine without the extra, "law enforcement".

amlevin

If traveling in Bear Country I hope your firearm is up to the task. There is a saying among Alaska residents "If you're going to carry a handgun for protection in bear country make sure you file the front sight down. That way it won't hurt as much when the bear shoves it up your @--".

Lot of Shotguns and S&W500's carried for that reason. Not 9mm's or 40S&W's.

sudden valley gunner

If traveling in Bear Country I hope your firearm is up to the task. There is a saying among Alaska residents "If you're going to carry a handgun for protection in bear country make sure you file the front sight down. That way it won't hurt as much when the bear shoves it up your @--".

Nope those were designed for people and the occasional pitbull.

Monroe

Appropriate use of a handgun in bear country

We always told the tourists with their fancy handguns to save the last bullet for themselves...

It is ironic that OC is actually more effective, but it is true...you make yourself an untasty snack, rather than enraging an animal that doesn't care much about a little bit of lead unless it happens to go into a very small portion of his anatomy.

Also, even if it was fully justified, killing a bear without license and out of hunting season is VERY inconvenient. Many of my friends skinned bears, packed out the meat and hide (no matter how far from civilization)...and get none of it...

Spray for dogs is much the same, perhaps. Spraying bullets around an open area with kids around, and with a very small target (the vital area of a dog)...and then you get to talk to the cops!

Trigger Dr

We always told the tourists with their fancy handguns to save the last bullet for themselves...

It is ironic that OC is actually more effective, but it is true...you make yourself an untasty snack, rather than enraging an animal that doesn't care much about a little bit of lead unless it happens to go into a very small portion of his anatomy.

Also, even if it was fully justified, killing a bear without license and out of hunting season is VERY inconvenient. Many of my friends skinned bears, packed out the meat and hide (no matter how far from civilization)...and get none of it...

Spray for dogs is much the same, perhaps. Spraying bullets around an open area with kids around, and with a very small target (the vital area of a dog)...and then you get to talk to the cops!

It would appear that you have never ben attacked by a pit bull (or 2). I have, and can tell you, shooting is justified. If my grand sons had been visiting that day, they would have probably ran away triggering a chase response for the 2 dogs.

Monroe

Dogs ARE NOT as valuable as my (or any) kids!

It would appear that you have never ben attacked by a pit bull (or 2). I have, and can tell you, shooting is justified. If my grand sons had been visiting that day, they would have probably ran away triggering a chase response for the 2 dogs.

I am sorry for the miscommunication. Fully justified...but it may not have been the best option.

I have thought about this a lot, because I go to parks with my kids, and for some reason every huge dog in the world seems to have an :cuss: owner that says, "He/she loves kids." as they snap the leash off and the dog bounds towards my kids.

Seriously, I am getting to point where I am about to buy pepper spray by the case and gas every dog that comes close to my kids.

(If the cops enforced the "Dogs must be on leash law" like they enforced the illegal no gun allowed laws, it would make me very happy.) :banghead:

Last edited:

amlevin

Seriously, I am getting to point where I am about to buy pepper spray by the case and gas every dog that comes close to my kids.

And a well sprayed dog will also get to share the "experience" with their owner while riding home in the car with them. Especially if the dog slobbers a lot after getting sprayed (and they will) and shakes his head a lot to clear it off. They'll also rub every part of their head on the upholstery trying to wipe the spray off. In a way, it's a two-fer.

LibertyDeath

IMHO the same logic can be applied when defending from an attacking human. Say, a much smaller man (or woman) is about to be assaulted by a much larger, but unarmed man. Now, I am not a small guy, but I also don't want to take a risk and have a hand to hand fight in an uncontrolled environment. My first line of defense against an unarmed assailant would be my O.C. spray. Also, O.C. spray comes in various types of sprain, ranging from direct stream, mist, fog, cone, and a few others. They specifically design them differently, for different types of situations. One situation being multiple attackers.

There was a King County Sheriff Deputy murdered by a guy high on crack. Deputy responded to a guy running around the naked and generally freaking out. He sprayed the crackhead with OC and it had no effect, crackhead charged him and wrestled his pistol away from him. Deputy went for cover and was shot in the leg. Crackhead walked up to Deputy and shot him 4 times in the head. Crackhead is currently serving a LWOP sentence in a cozy state prison.