Thread: Positive encounter

Positive encounter

There are many stories of police encounters that haven't gone well. Last night I had my first encounter with a Columbus police officer that went fantastic.

I just got done paying for my items at Lowes and I was walking out when I seen a Columbus police officer standing by the door looking in. The officer caught my eye and asked if anyone has commented on my sidearm. I told him no. He then told me me that a few people have come up to him and pointed me out. Then he shocked me when he said he told the people that came up to him that he was not going to trample on anyones constitutional rights today. He then shook my hand and said have a nice day.

I dont know if he talked to me to calm the fears of others in the area or he wanted to talk to an open carrier. Either way the encounter lasted about 30 seconds, no guns pointed at me, no IDs checked, no handcuffs and no back up called. The Columbus police department should be proud that they have an officer that knows the laws.

as it should be...awesome

Sounds like a great guy to me.

Quote Originally Posted by N605TW View Post
    There are many stories of police encounters that haven't gone well. Last night I had my first encounter with a Columbus police officer that went fantastic.

I just got done paying for my items at Lowes and I was walking out when I seen a Columbus police officer standing by the door looking in. The officer caught my eye and asked if anyone has commented on my sidearm. I told him no. He then told me me that a few people have come up to him and pointed me out. Then he shocked me when he said he told the people that came up to him that he was not going to trample on anyones constitutional rights today. He then shook my hand and said have a nice day.

I dont know if he talked to me to calm the fears of others in the area or he wanted to talk to an open carrier. Either way the encounter lasted about 30 seconds, no guns pointed at me, no IDs checked, no handcuffs and no back up called. The Columbus police department should be proud that they have an officer that knows the laws.
    This to me sounds exactly like he wanted to be able to calm sheeple, by "showing contact".. He did so without violating his oath. Job well done.

Nicely done and a good example of how to handle that particular situation.

I'm sure there were several sheeple watching to make sure the officer "talked" to you.

Once again, good job.

AD

Cool Good PR

Thats a great story. I wish all encounters were like that state wide. Its good PR for all but a better PR stunt would be one or two Columbus police officers out at a location with an open carry information booth like at a festival. That way the public would see the mesh of police with open carriers.

If I knew the officers name I would be sending the chief of police, as well as the officer a letter of thanks for respecting our rights and for being informed on the law.
    Last edited by zack991; 05-25-2011 at 09:54 AM.
    -I come in peace, I didn't bring artillery. But I am pleading with you with tears in my eyes: If you screw with me, I'll kill you all.
    -Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.
    Marine General James Mattis,

May I inquire what you looked like? Tactical Tom, Andy of Mayberry, Grandpa Walton or other. Perhaps demeanor had something to do with it?

Thumbs up Educated cop.

[QUOTE=N605TW;1537101]There are many stories of police encounters that haven't gone well. Last night I had my first encounter with a Columbus police officer that went fantastic.

I just got done paying for my items at Lowes and I was walking out when I ..."

And I hope that you got this officer's name...would it be appropriate to write his superior?

Name not needed... if date, location, description is available.. I would most certainly write the chief of police to applaude the proper handling of this situation.

Quote Originally Posted by Contrarian View Post
    And I hope that you got this officer's name...would it be appropriate to write his superior?
    Definitely. Good catch/idea.

I am still in Columbus but will be traveling back to Montana soon. When I return home I will be sending Officer Carsey a thank you note.

Thumbs up

Way to go, Officer Carsey!
    CPD seems to want only phone calls for compliments, but I'd still put something in writing (to the Chief).

Compliments: "To file a compliment on Division personnel call the Columbus, Ohio Division of Police Patrol Office at 614-645-4580 and ask to speak with the Patrol Administrative Sergeant."

Complaints:
    Columbus Division of Police
    Internal Affairs Bureau
    750 E Long St.
    Columbus, OH
    Fax: 614-645-4079

Contact info for CPD: http://www.columbuspolice.org/
    Chief Walter Distelzweig
    e-mail@columbuspolice.org
    614-645-4600