Thread: Hiking and Stuff

Hiking and Stuff

Hi,

I will be visiting my family in the Odgen area over Memorial Day Weekend. We will be doing some horseback riding and trail hiking. In Colorado I usually carry my SP101 in an El Paso Saddlery Tanker Holster in the backcountry. Here in Colorado you can carry pretty much anywhere with a full cylinder, including Rocky Mountain National Park.

My recollection is that in Utah, without a carry permit, I must carry with two chambers empty (the chamber in line with the barrel and the next chamber). Does this sound right? It's also my understaind that I can carry the same revolver in my Jeep fully loaded while in Utah. Am I correct?

Looking foward to seeing home again. I grew up in Ogden.

Thanks!

clarification

Ok, I found some information in another thread that indicates I can openly carry a fully loaded revolver on the national forest, or in my Jeep. Unless anyone has a different opinion, I'm going with that.

Here is the information from the other thread (JoeSparky quote):

A couple of points here:

First----

Here is the law that RESTRICTS the carry of LOADED weapons----

http://le.utah.gov/~code/TITLE76/htm/76_10_050500.htm

76-10-505. Carrying loaded firearm in vehicle or on street.
    (1) Unless otherwise authorized by law, a person may not carry a loaded firearm:
    (a) in or on a vehicle, unless:
    (i) the vehicle is in the person's lawful possession; or
    (ii) the person is carrying the loaded firearm in a vehicle with the consent of the person lawfully in possession of the vehicle;
    (b) on a public street; or
    (c) in a posted prohibited area.
    (2) Subsection (1)(a) does not apply to a minor under 18 years of age, since a minor under 18 years of age may not carry a loaded firearm in or on a vehicle.
    (3) Notwithstanding Subsection (1)(a)(i) and (ii), a person may not possess a loaded rifle, shotgun, or muzzle-loading rifle in a vehicle.
    (4) A violation of this section is a class B misdemeanor.

Pay particular attention to (1)(b).... ON A PUBLIC STREET.

Also look closely at (1)(a)... it prohibits the carry of a loaded weapon in a vehicle UNLESS (1) you are authorized to possess the vehicle or (2) have the permission of the one authorized to possess the vehicle and (3) are 18 years or older.
    [/B]

Thanks to JoeSparky for the information.

What I have seen "public street" has been interpreted VERY liberally. Before you carry loaded on foot make sure you get further guidance.