• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OC Dinner with out of staters - Manassas 6/22/11

okiephlyer

Me and a few friends will be in Manassas for a few days, the 21st, 22nd and 23rd of June and would like to get together for an OC dinner somewhere near the area. Who would be up for it and where would be a good place to meet-n-greet?

--Moderator Note--

Need consensus on location.

user

Accomplished Advocate
Manassas is just chock-full of mediocre-to-bad restaurants. There is, however, a pretty good Mexican place on Rt. 234(bus), Sudley Rd., just N. of where it intersects with Rt. 28, "El Rey Tolteca". I've been in there any number of times with no problem. There is also a "Cracker Barrel" just North of Manassas on the other side of I-66, but I understand they have a spotty reputation with OC'ers. Seems to me there's a "Famous Dave's" over there, too, but I can't remember for sure, I may be thinking of Centreville.

Since I don't have to be in Surry Co. after all on June 21, either that or June 22 would be best for me.

okiephlyer

Both of those sound good to me. I have been to Manassas several times, but without knowledge of local restaurants, it is difficult to make the decision to try something new. If we need to branch out a little farther away, that is OK as well.
Guns & Ammo Warehouse is a favorite stop as well as Virginia Arms.

user

Accomplished Advocate
I'd be happy to try the Ashton place - I looked at the menu, and found it's basically a Greek restaurant which, like most other Greek places, does mostly Italian food. I didn't see pizza listed, though. I love the way Greek restaurants do pizza - something about the crust. E.g., "Anthony's" in Falls Church or "Pan Am Family Rest.", just E. of Fairfax at Nutley Rd & Rt. 50 are my favorite places for pizza.

But, oh, well, I reckon I can get me a DGY-ro (in Prince William, no one knows how to pronounce "xyros", which, incidentally is the etymological ancestor of the sandwich known as "the hero").

Pick a date.

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
There is always Foster's Grille and I suspect the Cracker Barrel would be fine. I've never carried in Cracker Barrel when getting a meal, but I have OC'd when going in to buy something in their store without any problems. I have OC'd into Ashton Family restaurant with no problems for lunch. Glory Days in Centreville as see some of us for OC lunches and I know of a few Chinese places which are doables. There is this crazy little seafood place south of Gainesville (Blue Ridge Seafood) which looks like a few one-time shacks put together, but pulls in a lot of traffic... because they're good. I've OC'd in there several times (get there kinda early, like around 5:00pm, because they can get busy).

There are other places, but that's a start.

okiephlyer

I appreciate the input. Ashton family restaurant sounds good to me. Lets shoot for 6PM on Wednesday the 22nd. I will call and let them know we are coming the day before.
Stay tuned for more developements.

SouthernBoy

I appreciate the input. Ashton family restaurant sounds good to me. Lets shoot for 6PM on Wednesday the 22nd. I will call and let them know we are coming the day before.

Get a head count first. If the group is rather small, you may not need to call ahead but it's not a bad idea to verify that with them. Also, don't say anything about a group of people who are armed are going to be having dinner. Just leave that one out of the equation.

Lastly, once you get things solidified, follow up on this with another message or perhaps another thread, though this one should be fine I would think. I'm good for this one.

Last edited:

Dreamer

If you dig Mexican-style food, and are visiting the NoVa area, you MUST go to Anita's. There is one in Chantilly (The ORIGINAL Anita's!) which is just a short hop from Manassas. I lived in Manassas for about 6 years, and got addicted to Anita's Breakfast Burrito, and her Chili Relleno is outstanding...

http://www.anitascorp.com/

Every time I visit my family in MD, I try to come up with an excuse to go to NoVa so we can eat a meal at Anita's. I'm probably one of the few customers they get who doesn't consider it unreasonable to drive 6+ hours for their menu... ;)

SouthernBoy

If you dig Mexican-style food, and are visiting the NoVa area, you MUST go to Anita's. There is one in Chantilly (The ORIGINAL Anita's!) which is just a short hop from Manassas. I lived in Manassas for about 6 years, and got addicted to Anita's Breakfast Burrito, and her Chili Relleno is outstanding...

http://www.anitascorp.com/

Every time I visit my family in MD, I try to come up with an excuse to go to NoVa so we can eat a meal at Anita's. I'm probably one of the few customers they get who doesn't consider it unreasonable to drive 6+ hours for their menu... ;)

I used to go to Anita's every once in a while when I was working in the Reston/Dulles area. The one in Chantilly is the one we would hit. It's been a long time since I was there but what I remember most is the amount of food was large.... and good.

okiephlyer

Flexibility is the cornerstone of confusion. I am good with either Ashton's or Anita's. Anybody that can make one but not the other? Other suggetions.
Since the Okie crowd is trying something new, Cracker Barrel is out. That is a normal stop for us when we are in town. Never had a problem OC'ing there, but heard they changed owners and the new owners are not OC friendly.
Anyway, keep checking in with ideas and commitments.

Last edited:

user

Accomplished Advocate

I'm putting that on my calendar in ink. I'm going to check out Ashton family restaurant this evening with the family. Never been there before. Btw, re: Anita's New Mexico Style Restaurant - they were really good when they first opened about twenty years ago. Now everything's kind of blah and microwaved. You like Mechican food, try Panco Villa's in Culpeper, Stafford, or Fredericksburg. I think they've got about seven places; ask for beef dishes with the shredded not ground; it's not on the menu.

supranite90

Or you could go Japanese....Otani is a good one...mainly because the owner is like an uncle to me

user

Accomplished Advocate
It was a no-go on Ashton FR last night - they close at 5 on Sundays. I also found it confusing to figure out how to get there. Sort of an off-the-main-road place, it appears. I'm thinking it might be hard for people not familiar with Manassas to find.

So we went to El Rey Tolteca instead (Rt. 234- Sudley Rd., Business - just N. of intersection with Godwin Dr. next to the Verizon Wireless store at 8412 Sudley Rd. Manassas, VA 20109). While there, I inquired whether a moderately large group of openly-carrying gun folks could be accommodated. I was informed that the owner is an avid gun guy and the folks who work there are all just fine with such things. I was asked to ascertain the number and call ahead so they could arrange tables and seating for us. They have a good-sized dining room where I think folks like us would be comfortable. FYI.

I'm changing my vote. (Not a big fan of teppan-yaki, either.) I wish the River City Diner had a location in Manassas.

Last edited:

Jonton

I just might be available for this. I'd be willing to make the 30 minute trek from Sterling to meet some more of y'all. Let me know where you guys settle on. My restaurant of choice in Manassas is usually the Great American Steak & Buffet Co. (www.greatamericanbuffet.com). I don't recall OCing there before, though, but I know they're use to accommodating large groups of people.

user

Accomplished Advocate
So, what'd we decide? Anything?

Btw, as to Japanese restaurants: there's no one there who's like an uncle, and they're actually all Korean, I think, but I like Matsu-Sushi off of Westfields Blvd North of Centreville.

okiephlyer

Sorry I have been off line for a few days.
I like all the ideas being thrown out for consideration. In order to give everyone something definite to plan on, and based on some of the comments above, why don't we say the mexican place off 234, El Rey Tolteca, as mentioned by "user".
Start checking in and keep getting the word out.
Be patient with me for the next 2 weeks, I will be out of the country on vacation, and internet is not going to be high on my priority list.
I will have somewhere between 2 and 7 with me, and will post as soon as I get commitments from my crowd.
Looking forward to this dinner.