• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Curious about the final outcome of the shootout in the Schuck's Store in Tacoma

amlevin

A few years ago there was an incident in the Schuck's Store in Tacoma, I believe at 72nd and Portland Avenue. Some "ghetto goon" was attempting to steal a motorbike from the showroom store and pulled a gun. He was shot by an armed customer.

Never have been able to find anything on the final outcome. Apparently the perp lived but can't seem to find anything in News Reports on whether he went to trial, plead out, is serving time, etc. Also curious if anyone here has any information on the citizen who shot him as to whether he was detained, arrested, jailed?????

Wondering how this all turned out so my question is "Does anyone here have any information other than a description of the initial event"?

Wouldn't it be nice if the media would give the same coverage to the outcome that they do to the event itself?

kwiebe

All I could find were forum posts also...the most interesting one I found was posted by Phillips' sister-in-law:

"Karl Phillips is my husband.Here's some details for you, Horatio.Circling the drain, ha.This tough bugger took 9 yes,9 rounds to the body from a Army Colt 45,before he finally gave up and dropped his gun.There's no doubt that if Joe hadn't been there people would have died.No word back on the suspect yet."

Nine rounds from a 45. Sounds like meth was involved to me.

Full thread:

http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/1493692/posts

irish52084

That place isn't too far from my house, can't believe I don't remember it happening. Good to see normal people willing and able to protect themselves and others.

Kind of a good reminder that it doesn't matter hat caliber you use, sometimes people just don't go down. I wonder if he wished he had more rounds before it was all over?

amzbrady

That place isn't too far from my house, can't believe I don't remember it happening. Good to see normal people willing and able to protect themselves and others.

Kind of a good reminder that it doesn't matter hat caliber you use, sometimes people just don't go down. I wonder if he wished he had more rounds before it was all over?

All the more reason to practice, practice, practice. I think it would be awesome if there were some laser guns with same wieght and recoil as our personal defense firearms so we could do some real life, stress scenarios, that would record misses also showing where our shots ended up. Someone needs to create a house, street scenario like that where people can practice.

amlevin

All the more reason to practice, practice, practice. I think it would be awesome if there were some laser guns with same wieght and recoil as our personal defense firearms so we could do some real life, stress scenarios, that would record misses also showing where our shots ended up. Someone needs to create a house, street scenario like that where people can practice.

From my recollection of the TV coverage, the "perp" was hit numerous times with .45 slugs. A camera shot showed one spent round on the floor or driveway. It looked like a FMJ, not HP bullet from the visible jacket and exposed base.

It wasn't a matter of lacking skills under fire but more a matter of the hits not stopping the subject.

kwiebe

From my recollection of the TV coverage, the "perp" was hit numerous times with .45 slugs. A camera shot showed one spent round on the floor or driveway. It looked like a FMJ, not HP bullet from the visible jacket and exposed base.

Your recollection appears to be correct. In fact, nine rounds from a .45, according to the good samaritan's sister-in-law (see above).

Jayd1981

If you want some great realistic practice, attend a practical pistol shoot. You engage different targes from many different positions then scored based on accuracy and time. Plus they are a lot of fun. They hold monthly matches at TCSA for those of us in the Tri Cities.

amzbrady

Attend one of "Old Kims" shoot on the move exercises. Its real easy to tell when you miss , nothing goes ding.....

If you want some great realistic practice, attend a practical pistol shoot. You engage different targes from many different positions then scored based on accuracy and time. Plus they are a lot of fun. They hold monthly matches at TCSA for those of us in the Tri Cities.

NO, not target practice,

I'm talking about a lazer tag type scenario, with maybe some electrodes to shock the crap out of you if you get hit. Something where you are being fired back at and that raises your stress level and makes you really think to survive. Lazer tag and paint ball is all good but they have bulky guns, and you dont go from a holstered draw, and theres no recoil comparison. The stress level is going to come from a surprise guy with a gun around a corner pointing back at you. Now that would make for some good training. Airsoft is the next viable option, which I have never had, so I dont know how that would make for a close quarter battle.

amzbrady

OOPs, Internet explorer stopped responding so I didnt think my original posted.

Last edited:

BigDave

Opt-Out Members
If one is looking for a more realistic training I would offer that airsoft guns are the way to go.
A little bit of safety equipment and many handguns are available of similar size.
Then setup different scenarios with out the target being involved in planning and go for it, you will find movement, target engagement, use of cover, different light conditions or even shoot don't shoot scenarios.

amlevin

If one is looking for a more realistic training I would offer that airsoft guns are the way to go.
A little bit of safety equipment and many handguns are available of similar size.
Then setup different scenarios with out the target being involved in planning and go for it, you will find movement, target engagement, use of cover, different light conditions or even shoot don't shoot scenarios.

Airsoft is tame. The real way to experience "interactive combat" training is the Simunition FX system. Think "Paintball" but with real guns and lifelike ammunition. The only difference is that the "bullet" is a wax like substance that gives the feeling of being hit without lasting damage, assuming that the appropriate protective gear is being worn. About as real as it gets without using "real lead".

http://www.simunition.com/cartridges/fx_training_en.php

Uses ones own "Service Weapon" (It's designed for Police/Military) with a different barrel and slide that prevents inadvertent chambering of real ammo. Provides near normal recoil so all aspects of the engagement are as close as possible to the real thing (except perhaps for soiled underwear).

DevinWKuska

All I could find were forum posts also...the most interesting one I found was posted by Phillips' sister-in-law:

"Karl Phillips is my husband.Here's some details for you, Horatio.Circling the drain, ha.This tough bugger took 9 yes,9 rounds to the body from a Army Colt 45,before he finally gave up and dropped his gun.There's no doubt that if Joe hadn't been there people would have died.No word back on the suspect yet."

Nine rounds from a 45. Sounds like meth was involved to me.

Full thread:

http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/1493692/posts

From my recollection of the TV coverage, the "perp" was hit numerous times with .45 slugs. A camera shot showed one spent round on the floor or driveway. It looked like a FMJ, not HP bullet from the visible jacket and exposed base.It wasn't a matter of lacking skills under fire but more a matter of the hits not stopping the subject.

If the wife was correct then the .45 was really (because when she said old I assumed SAA).45LC in which case I would like to know where he bought FMJ rounds, as all I can find it lead. Now if it was a semi-auto... then based on the location of the shootout, It could be said that demographically maybe he couldnt afford HP's? Either way 9 rounds later the perp went down like the rest of em. Cheers to Schucks for being OC friendly, it paid for itselft that day.

On a side note, do you think they gave whatever he was buying free of charge?

BigDave

Opt-Out Members
Airsoft is tame. The real way to experience "interactive combat" training is the Simunition FX system. Think "Paintball" but with real guns and lifelike ammunition. The only difference is that the "bullet" is a wax like substance that gives the feeling of being hit without lasting damage, assuming that the appropriate protective gear is being worn. About as real as it gets without using "real lead".

http://www.simunition.com/cartridges/fx_training_en.php

Uses ones own "Service Weapon" (It's designed for Police/Military) with a different barrel and slide that prevents inadvertent chambering of real ammo. Provides near normal recoil so all aspects of the engagement are as close as possible to the real thing (except perhaps for soiled underwear).

Looks pretty nice, wonder if it is basically cost prohibitive for most?

BigDave

Opt-Out Members
Isn't just about everything that's good, costly?

I see this as something one would do in a "School" environment rather than on their own.

Consider the restrictions upon having training similar to the FATS system, basically and advanced video game, they have only so many scenarios along with not being able to move any distance and to use cover.
Not sure if this system has a video type interaction or man on man as with airsoft?
One using the airsoft is cost effective and one could use it easily in many different environments at home or outside the home or others residence as well, though I would not recommend Walmart being one of them LOL

As with anything, get the best you can with what you can afford.