Thread: question about open carry on pistols

question about open carry on pistols

i am 18 years old and a resident of NC. i'm about to get my grandpa to buy me a pistol with my money because i'm not 21 yet. and i'm gonna get a permit under my name from the sherrifs department because i think all you have to be is 18 to do that? is that what i'm supposed to do and how i'm supposed to go about it? or is there something i dont know? i plan to hunt with it and openly carry it around

Quote Originally Posted by will2436 View Post
    i am 18 years old and a resident of NC. i'm about to get my grandpa to buy me a pistol with my money because i'm not 21 yet. and i'm gonna get a permit under my name from the sherrifs department because i think all you have to be is 18 to do that? is that what i'm supposed to do and how i'm supposed to go about it? or is there something i dont know? i plan to hunt with it and openly carry it around
    First, lets get the story straight:
    1. Your grandfather is going to buy himself a pistol from an FFL, it is for him, he is using his money, and it's not intended for anyone else.
    2. At some point after that, you will get a PPP from your local sheriff
    3. You will then make your grandfather an offer to buy the gun since he doesn't really like it anyway

You are both now covered. I believe all the gun docs an FFL makes you sign basically state you are not buying the gun for someone else, it is for your use.

Delete this post because what you have just described is a textbook straw purchase.

You are correct that you need a purchase permit from your Sheriff to recieve a handgun in NC. Have your grandfather "gift" you the handgun instead.

What RedFive is trying to say is that yes, you can be "gifted" a pistol from your grandfather or you could buy a pistol from an individual like your grandfather and you will need a PPP from the sheriff's office. The problem you may run into, as others on this forum have, is that the Sheriff may not want to grant you the PPP because you must be 21 to buy from an FFL. You will need to convince the sheriff that it is for a private purchase (or gifting) from your grandfather and will not be used to purchase from an FFL. Both you and your grandfather should go to the sheriff's office when you apply for the PPP.

If you don't follow this process you could both be running the risk of being arrested for a "straw man purchase".

Once you are 18, you can of course carry (open carry only) where legal. You can even carry your grandfather's gun without him transferring ownership to you.

I hope that all makes sense. Let us know how it goes.

thanks. i'll see about the "gifting". and i actually kind of know our sheriff so i'm hoping that'll help

and thanks for clearing up the whole "straw purchase" thing. i'm forgetting that handguns are a lot more regulated than long guns. we will do nothing illegal. you have my word. haha

Yea, I'm 19 myself I just bought it through a private sale after I got the PPP. Just remember to always know when and where you can carry and always maintain professionalism. L.E.O's tend to give us guys 18-20 the "Why do you have that" lecture.

One of the several questions you have to answer each time you purchase a pistol from an FFL is "Is this purchase for you or someone else" (or something to that effect)

But there is nothing wrong with him transferring a pistol to you later on, and receiving a permit from you to keep on file for ever and ever and ever
    "In the beginning of a change the patriot is a scarce man, and brave, and hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." - Mark Twain

I don't bother with pragmatic statistics while discussing my constitutional rights. The issue is far less complex, to me. Free men should be able to act like free men.

Quote Originally Posted by Smith45acp View Post
    One of the several questions you have to answer each time you purchase a pistol from an FFL is "Is this purchase for you or someone else" (or something to that effect)
    "are you the actual purchaser"