Results 1 to 16 of 16

Thread: Heading to Vegas tonight.

  1. #1
    Regular Member Evil Tyler Durden's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Crummy California the most unfair state in the union.
    Posts
    46

    Cool Heading to Vegas tonight.

    Hey everyone, the misses and I are heading to Vegas tonight after work and the babysitters. I have never OC'd before but plan on doing so this trip. It should be nice as opposed to CA and the way they handle things with OC. I do know that we'll be hitting our hotel first then the strip. If there's any of you there that can offer advice or that will be around I would greatly appreciate it, so I know what to look for. I know it's short notice, but we should be in town around 8 pm. Thanks in advance to any with helpful info. Hope to hear from if not meet some of you. We will also be heading to Henderson to visit my cousins as well.

  2. #2
    Regular Member The Big Guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Waco, TX
    Posts
    1,950
    Most of the big casinos/hotels will ask you to stow your gun or ask you to leave, but ok just about anyplace else. Walking the Strip should be no problem. Some malls are picky, individual shops are ususally no problem. Stay out of the parks except Henderson City parks (they obey the law as written). The main thing to remember is that you can be asked to leave and if you don't it's trespass. For the most part, don't worry about it, if you and your firearm are not welcome you'll be told.

    TBG

  3. #3
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    48
    And be polite to metro if they stop you to investigate. I am told they have relaxed a bit but I have no first hand knowledge.

    Sent from my EVO via Tapatalk pro.

  4. #4
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Las Vegas, ,
    Posts
    120
    Quote Originally Posted by justherenow View Post
    And be polite to metro if they stop you to investigate. I am told they have relaxed a bit but I have no first hand knowledge.
    Be polite to the thugs who are violating your rights? Open carry is NOT a reason to stop and investigate anything. If you are not breaking any laws, then you don't even have to talk to them. Personally, I would ignore any tax-eater's request to have a conversation. The only thing I might say to them is "Why are you detaining me?" When they say you're not being detained then I would simply walk away.

    Just because we carry does not mean we should be treated any differently than every other person. I don't see cops stopping every person walking down the strip to have a conversation, so they have no reason to stop someone who is open carrying. You are there to enjoy yourself just like every other person, and you should not have to give up even one minute of your vacation time to be "investigated" just because you are carrying for your protection.

  5. #5
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    48
    Which I agree 100%

    Sent from my EVO via Tapatalk pro.

  6. #6
    28kfps
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by SoLasVegas View Post
    Be polite to the thugs who are violating your rights? Open carry is NOT a reason to stop and investigate anything. If you are not breaking any laws, then you don't even have to talk to them. Personally, I would ignore any tax-eater's request to have a conversation. The only thing I might say to them is "Why are you detaining me?" When they say you're not being detained then I would simply walk away.

    Just because we carry does not mean we should be treated any differently than every other person. I don't see cops stopping every person walking down the strip to have a conversation, so they have no reason to stop someone who is open carrying. You are there to enjoy yourself just like every other person, and you should not have to give up even one minute of your vacation time to be "investigated" just because you are carrying for your protection.
    It would appear being polite in your mine would not be the correct way to handle an LEO encounter. What is your suggestion then when encountered by an LEO that is asking questions about your firearm?

  7. #7
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Las Vegas, ,
    Posts
    120
    Quote Originally Posted by 28kfps View Post
    It would appear being polite in your mine would not be the correct way to handle an LEO encounter. What is your suggestion then when encountered by an LEO that is asking questions about your firearm?
    Completely ignore them. The same way I would handle any other person I don't know who wanted to start up a random conversation with me on the street.
    Last edited by SoLasVegas; 05-25-2011 at 12:05 PM.

  8. #8
    Regular Member The Big Guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Waco, TX
    Posts
    1,950
    Quote Originally Posted by 28kfps View Post
    It would appear being polite in your mine would not be the correct way to handle an LEO encounter. What is your suggestion then when encountered by an LEO that is asking questions about your firearm?
    Remember this: "Am I under arrest or being detained, or am I free to go?" If you are being detained or arrested you will be told. They most likely will never directly answer your question if you are not being detained or arrested. If they don't tell you that you are, say something like "thank you officer, have a nice day", and walk off.
    Never, never answer their questions except with a question. If they ask for your ID your answer is "am I being detained or arrested?" If they say yes, SHUT UP!!! Simply say you will not be answering any questions and ask for a lawyer. If they say "no" or don't answer your question, say "good day officer" and then SHUT UP and walk away.

    TBG

  9. #9
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Las Vegas, ,
    Posts
    120
    Quote Originally Posted by The Big Guy View Post
    Remember this: "Am I under arrest or being detained, or am I free to go?"
    Good advice, though I prefer "Why am I being detained?" as the initial question. This is a stronger question in my opinion. If, as a reasonable person, you believe you are not free to go, then you are being detained. You should not have to ask if you are or not, you should know already.

    The question of why will possibly confuse the public servant into the response of "you are not being detained", at which point you may simply walk away. If that is not the response, then at least you will know you are being formally detained and will hopefully be told the reason for the detention. This question effectively kills two birds with one stone.

    I think most encounters (that occur while you are on foot) will start with a question like, "can I talk to you for a minute?" In my opinion, these should simply be answered with a firm "NO", and continue on your way, unless you really want to talk to the person you don't know for some reason. If it comes in the form of a command rather than a question, then I would personally assume I was being detained and start with the "why" question.

    The more polite among you may wish the officer a good day, but I harbor no good feelings whatsoever toward our modern militarized police forces. I think our current police forces in many cities are in fact unconstitutional standing armies put in place counter to the Posse Comitatus Act. Many police forces receive federal funding, federal training, have weaponry that is on par with our military forces, and will follow federal orders if given. It is tantamount to a federal military occupation of our cities. Sorry for the rant.

  10. #10
    Regular Member The Big Guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Waco, TX
    Posts
    1,950
    Quote Originally Posted by SoLasVegas View Post
    Good advice, though I prefer "Why am I being detained?" as the initial question. This is a stronger question in my opinion. If, as a reasonable person, you believe you are not free to go, then you are being detained. You should not have to ask if you are or not, you should know already.

    The question of why will possibly confuse the public servant into the response of "you are not being detained", at which point you may simply walk away. If that is not the response, then at least you will know you are being formally detained and will hopefully be told the reason for the detention. This question effectively kills two birds with one stone.

    I think most encounters (that occur while you are on foot) will start with a question like, "can I talk to you for a minute?" In my opinion, these should simply be answered with a firm "NO", and continue on your way, unless you really want to talk to the person you don't know for some reason. If it comes in the form of a command rather than a question, then I would personally assume I was being detained and start with the "why" question.

    The more polite among you may wish the officer a good day, but I harbor no good feelings whatsoever toward our modern militarized police forces. I think our current police forces in many cities are in fact unconstitutional standing armies put in place counter to the Posse Comitatus Act. Many police forces receive federal funding, federal training, have weaponry that is on par with our military forces, and will follow federal orders if given. It is tantamount to a federal military occupation of our cities. Sorry for the rant.
    I am not saying you are incorrect on your assessment of the current state of affairs in our cities and country. In a head to head confrontation, you will lose. The polite route has the advantage of them not being able to say you were being belligerent and confrontational. "Have a nice day" also has the advantage of communicating that you are secure in your position, you are in control and is the polite way to say "UP YOURS". I guaranty that if they are looking for problems you will disappoint them and they will be have to live with the stress,. What you are talking about are control freaks. Don't give them what they want. Walk away in control and smiling. All the problems in this country today can be boiled down to Power and Control. Don't let them have it.

    TBG

  11. #11
    28kfps
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by The Big Guy View Post
    I am not saying you are incorrect on your assessment of the current state of affairs in our cities and country. In a head to head confrontation, you will lose. The polite route has the advantage of them not being able to say you were being belligerent and confrontational. "Have a nice day" also has the advantage of communicating that you are secure in your position, you are in control and is the polite way to say "UP YOURS". I guaranty that if they are looking for problems you will disappoint them and they will be have to live with the stress,. What you are talking about are control freaks. Don't give them what they want. Walk away in control and smiling. All the problems in this country today can be boiled down to Power and Control. Don't let them have it.

    TBG
    TBG I believe your post for the most part sums up my way of handling such issue. I believe these actions you describe here shows good stewardship for the open carry group while keeping the control freak, ambitious, macho LEO in some kind of control.
    I am of the opinion if our LEOs learn we are polite and approachable however, will not be a push over or intimidated to follow nonexistent laws will far better benefit open carry than a rude shut down get out of my way attitude. This is my example, not saying any of the previous postings is advocating my rude example as a correct action.

  12. #12
    Regular Member Evil Tyler Durden's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Crummy California the most unfair state in the union.
    Posts
    46

    Thumbs up Positive 1st oc experience.

    Well everyone, we just returned from the vacation back to the police state that is CA. To put it shortly, my OC experience in Vegas was phenomenal. I went shopping and walked everywhere I could. I went to CVS and had no problems, I talked to people and they didn't run out screaming when they saw I had my gun. We went to Serendipity to get something to drink and eat. I walked around my casino/hotel The Golden Nugget with not a single confrontation or incident, was polite to any and all who I came across. No questions about my gun but I could see the fear on some peoples faces when they saw my gun but put them at ease by being polite.

    I was asked a few questions by a valet about my gun like if it was legal and referred him here. Hope he shows up and gets acquainted here. Today when we were leaving, the bellman that came to get out bags asked if I could cover my gun up. I told him that it was not legal for me to CC and that it had to be out in the open. The bellman and the valet did not even know their own rights on the subject of OC and handgun ownership (thought this was interesting).

    I'm happy to say I had no LEO run ins, which was nice. My girlfriend was nervous about me walking around carrying my gun in the open. I had to reassure her, that it was legal and there was nothing to worry about. So as for my 1st time, like the title states: POSITIVE 1ST OC EXPERIENCE.

    I also just received my AZ CCW paperwork today, have to get the prints done and then send it all back. We will be heading back to Vegas again close to fathers day. So at that point I won't be CCing because NV won't recognize the CCW from AZ until late July. Thanks for the info everyone.

  13. #13
    Regular Member The Big Guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Waco, TX
    Posts
    1,950
    Quote Originally Posted by Evil Tyler Durden View Post
    Well everyone, we just returned from the vacation back to the police state that is CA. To put it shortly, my OC experience in Vegas was phenomenal. I went shopping and walked everywhere I could. I went to CVS and had no problems, I talked to people and they didn't run out screaming when they saw I had my gun. We went to Serendipity to get something to drink and eat. I walked around my casino/hotel The Golden Nugget with not a single confrontation or incident, was polite to any and all who I came across. No questions about my gun but I could see the fear on some peoples faces when they saw my gun but put them at ease by being polite.

    I was asked a few questions by a valet about my gun like if it was legal and referred him here. Hope he shows up and gets acquainted here. Today when we were leaving, the bellman that came to get out bags asked if I could cover my gun up. I told him that it was not legal for me to CC and that it had to be out in the open. The bellman and the valet did not even know their own rights on the subject of OC and handgun ownership (thought this was interesting).

    I'm happy to say I had no LEO run ins, which was nice. My girlfriend was nervous about me walking around carrying my gun in the open. I had to reassure her, that it was legal and there was nothing to worry about. So as for my 1st time, like the title states: POSITIVE 1ST OC EXPERIENCE.

    I also just received my AZ CCW paperwork today, have to get the prints done and then send it all back. We will be heading back to Vegas again close to fathers day. So at that point I won't be CCing because NV won't recognize the CCW from AZ until late July. Thanks for the info everyone.
    Thank you for picking our humble little corner of the world to spend your discretionary dollars. Glad you had a positve experience and come back soon.

    TBG

  14. #14
    Regular Member Evil Tyler Durden's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Crummy California the most unfair state in the union.
    Posts
    46

    Talking

    Quote Originally Posted by The Big Guy View Post
    Thank you for picking our humble little corner of the world to spend your discretionary dollars. Glad you had a positve experience and come back soon.

    TBG
    Thank you for the invite back, it's funny though because we will be back there around fathers day.

  15. #15
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    California
    Posts
    1
    A vegas trip is in the near future for me as well. But I need to be clear on one thing, is this LOADED OC? or is it the same rules as california (unloaded OC)

  16. #16
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Las Vegas, Nevada, USA
    Posts
    260
    Loaded and chambered is fine, on hip, in car, anywhere for pistols =)

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •