• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Saf, cgf sue over california ‘assault weapons’ law arrest

hgreen

This is a really BIG deal. People need to realize what is in this complaint:
"WHEREFORE, the Plaintiffs requests that this Court:
B. Issue a declaratory judgment and/or injunctive relief that California
Penal Code § 12031(e) is unconstitutional."

Pretty awesome stuff!

Hope everyone that can throws some $$ over to CGF and SAF.

Gundude

The only down side of this is: It will prolly have to go to SCOTUS to be finally settled.
Eat a sandwich and take a nap.

bigtoe416

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
This IS awesome. It's in the Northern District of CA though, and as CGF is aware, is a tough district to win second amendment cases. But as we know, CGF doesn't stop at district level decisions. I wish them luck, the 12031(e) challenge should be a piece of cake.

coolusername2007

The stars are lining up again...

SAF rocks, too!

A year ago, we talked about how funny it would be if UOC was banned and then 12031e was found unconstitutional. Well it seems those stars are finally lining up nicely! In the not too distant future we'll be telling folks to make darn sure the DON'T UOC!

Ca Patriot

this is a great lawsuit. however, its very disappointing to know it will take YEARS, if ever, to be settled.

coolusername2007

Regardless of the time it takes, fighting the fight is a good and necessary step. My hat is off to SAF and CGF for finally bringing it. Eliminating the completely useless and irritating bullet button is in line with "not one inch". And ending the wholly unconstitutional 12031e violations is necessary to protecting liberties fought and died for. This suit makes me really happy! :cool:

markm

Regardless of the time it takes, fighting the fight is a good and necessary step. My hat is off to SAF and CGF for finally bringing it. Eliminating the completely useless and irritating bullet button is in line with "not one inch". And ending the wholly unconstitutional 12031e violations is necessary to protecting liberties fought and died for. This suit makes me really happy! :cool:

Hey Coolusername,

If officer Becker loses his qualified immunity and pays substantial punitive damages, we will witness a completely different LEO attitude towards people who are exercising their 2A rights. A judgement against Becker will be a shot heard 'round California.

Trust me!

markm

Motofixxer

"Qualified immunity defense fails if public officer violates clearly established right because a reasonably competent official should know the law governing his conduct" Jones vs Counce 7-F3d-1359-8th Cir 1993; Benitez v Wolff 985-F3d 662 2nd Cir 1993