• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OC meet up 6/9, Down River Coney in Southgate

Jared

I was thinking about organizing a open carry dinner in downriver. We've had them up by macomb and I'm thinking it would be a good idea to have one downriver.

Thursday June 9th at 7PM.

The owner of the Down River Coney is RKBA friendly and has no issues with open carry. The restaurant is CASH ONLY, they do not take credit cards; however, they do have an ATM onsite.

He does not have a liquor license so it is not a 234(d) zone. None CPL holders may open carry without permission.

We all seem to have a good time when we meet up and hang out so who wants to come?

P.S. In case it needs to be said, NO LONG ARMS or michigan pistols.

The address is...

Down River Coney Island
13760 Eureka Road
Southgate, MI 48195-1333

Last edited:

Onnie

There is already a MOC event a seminar in Novi on that date, you might want to change the date

but its a good idea!

Last edited:

Jared

June 9th is the new date

I was unaware of the Novi event.

We'll make it Thursday June 9th then at 7PM.

Does that work for everyone (or most) who wish to come by and have breakfast or dinner?

northofnowhere

Campaign Veteran
Long gun open carry is legal, but the owner, not you, may ask someone to leave if he likes. not promoting it nor do I do it, just stating that you do not control who comes and goes in a business, only the owner or their agent. A more appropriate was to mention this would be; "The owner asks respectively that no one enter his business with a long gun." I would also have mentioned this to the owner and that he has the right to remove anyone who does bring a long gun in, so he is prepared in case of this eventuality. :) Also, what is a "Michigan Pistol" as that is a bit confusing, might want to clear that up, as it appears all OC is not allowed as currently worded.

Jared

Long gun open carry is legal, but the owner, not you, may ask someone to leave if he likes. not promoting it nor do I do it, just stating that you do not control who comes and goes in a business, only the owner or their agent. A more appropriate was to mention this would be; "The owner asks respectively that no one enter his business with a long gun." I would also have mentioned this to the owner and that he has the right to remove anyone who does bring a long gun in, so he is prepared in case of this eventuality. :) Also, what is a "Michigan Pistol" as that is a bit confusing, might want to clear that up, as it appears all OC is not allowed as currently worded.

You know what I mean, a handgun that can fit in a holster. I know I do not control who comes in and who doesn't, all I'm asking is that no one carries a long gun. The owner is a friend of mine, please don't embarrass us with a long gun, and he will ask you to leave. There have been issues where the owner (of a different restaurant) threw out the whole group because someone brought an AR-15 in, I'm sure you understand that I would like to avoid something like that.

Other folks have made this request at other events and I don't recall you giving them a hard time. So please don't give me a hard time, I don't ever recall you giving Scott or Rob a hard time about it. Perhaps it's because you live in the upper peninsula and you most likely won't be showing anyway. I personally have no issue with long arm carry in general either, but MOC has gotten as far as we have by promoting open carry with pistols, not with rifles or shotguns on our shoulders. I would imagine we would not have made the strides we all have made in michigan in the past few years if we all openly carried longarms instead of handguns.

Also, John and Mike (the owners of OCDO) have said long arm carry is not to be promoted on this website, so I'm also respecting their wishes as we are using their forum and must abide by their rules.

Last edited:

sprinklerguy28

I misread and was thinking the 7th. I will be there for sure. I will have this posted on MOCs website and Facebook page.

Jared

Jared, no hard feelings, I am simply trying to explain how best to promote the event. I was not attempting to give you a hard time.

I understand, and you are correct. I could have explained it better. I simply wanted to be clear because in the past (although not often) some folks have taken the liberty to carry longarms, and some of the events were ruined because of that.

Downriver has generally been OC friendly with a couple of exceptions. My thoughts was that the best way to promote the idea of OC and self defense in general would be to do so with a handgun. Many folks who have no opinion may be swayed against us if they see a rifle or shotgun.

Meeting up with OC'ers is always a good time, but it's also about winning the hearts and minds of the general public. So far the OC movement in Michigan has been more successful than many thought possible 3 years ago.

T Mack

How late do you think the OC dinner will last? I have a Krav Maga class from 6:20pm to 7:20pm then 30 minute travel time from Livonia to downriver....