• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Colt Army 38 Spc

WantsToCarry

My grandfather has a Colt Army revolver and I wanted to take the ol gal out and hit the town with er! She is a mod year 1917! I want to get a holster for it. (My grampa had it for hunting, so just stuffed it in a pocket and went) My question is, If i get a old ww1-2 style Flap holster for it, would that be considered as trying to hide it? Not much of it would be in the open, just the butt of the grip. Just a thought!

Lord_Kalen

probably depends on your state , whether or not they have defined open carry , however the US revolver holster ( Atfront.com or google " what price glory militaria" both should carry a good repro ATF tending to be higher quality) doesnt cover that much of the gun so I'd think you'd be safe from an over zealous cop and prosecutor .
personally Im more fond of the old revolvers then the new

Deadcenter45

I carry my M1911 in a Bianchi UM84 and have never had an issue with it. Only the grip is exposed.

ETA: I am in Oregon

Android + Tapatalk

MSG Laigaie

Campaign Veteran
I carried my star BM in the um84 w/flap(OD of course) here in Bellingham Wa, the City of Subdued Excitement. The law does not specify holster style, that is your choice. That is why people get to dress that way in Wal-mart. No one in my area noticed my weapon anyway. Keep calm and carry on.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
If Grandpa's Army revolver is a Model of 1917 it should be .45ACP, not .38Spcl. And it needs to have the cartridges in either half- or full-moon clips for proper headspacing.

If it's Colt Army .38, it most likely is not .38Spcl but .38S&W, which can also shoot .38 Long Colt and .38 Short Colt.

Check the barrel to see what's stamped there. .38S&W does not mean .38Spcl.

As for holsters that do not involve flaps or otherwise run into questions of whether or not it is considered concealed -- look at any of the holsters designed to fit a S&W N-frame revolver. You might be especially interested in "field" holsters which have a strap that runs over the hammer spur to keep it secured. This one http://www.patriotoutfitters.com/scripts/z.exe/sbproc?action=sp23111 is perhaps priced on the high side. This http://shop.sportsmansguide.com/net...bbl-ruger-mkii-mk-1-bull-barrel.aspx?a=268452 is less expensive but still good quality.

Hope this helps.

stay safe.

Cavalryman

Campaign Veteran
In most states, so long as it is obvious that you are carrying a handgun, it is not "concealed" even if most of it is covered by the holster. This does vary somewhat, however, so you should seek out advice from someone knowledgeable in your state's laws.

WantsToCarry

I meant to say its mfd year was 1917. Im fairly certain it was 38 special, and said Army and 38 special right on the barrel. But then again, prob ought to take another look.

c45man

I meant to say its mfd year was 1917. Im fairly certain it was 38 special, and said Army and 38 special right on the barrel. But then again, prob ought to take another look.

If it is a 38 spl, that particular model is the predecessor of the 38 official police that colt made during the 30s, 40s, and 50s. Very strong revolver that defines the very essence of durability.