• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Senate panel to vote on revamped conceal-carry bill

turbojohn41

http://www.jsonline.com/news/statepolitics/122477164.html

The Senate Judiciary Committee will vote on a revamped version of a bill to do that at 1:30 p.m. Wednesday. It would allow people to carry concealed guns without registering with the state, but would also allow them to get optional permits that would allow them to carry weapons closer to schools.

Those optional licenses would also allow people to carry concealed weapons in other states that have reciprocity agreements.

Sen. Pam Galloway (R-Wausau) said the new version of the bill merged ideas from two bills on concealed weapons she wrote

HandyHamlet

"This bill is just reckless," said Jim Palmer, executive director of the Wisconsin Professional Police Association.

He said his group had never before opposed a concealed carry bill. But he said the police officers union would oppose this bill if it didn't require safety training, licensing and access for law enforcement to a list of who has concealed carry permits.

Nice that they quoted this Tool. He's not even a cop. He's just a talking head. I'm soooooooooooo glad we got to hear his opinion though.

James L. Palmer, II – Executive Director

Jim Palmer is responsible for the development, promotion, and operations of the WPPA.

Translation - Paid weasel who must get sound bites to justify salary.

http://wppa.com/contact/bios.htm

Last edited:

Mlutz

For anyone with a Utah permit, this new Wisconsin permit, it isn't "optional"...

Nutczak

The Northwoods, lakeland area, Wisconsin, USA
"This bill is just reckless," said Jim Palmer, executive director of the Wisconsin Professional Police Association.

He said his group had never before opposed a concealed carry bill. But he said the police officers union would oppose this bill if it didn't require safety training, licensing and access for law enforcement to a list of who has concealed carry permits.

What good does a list of law abiding citizens do? Why track people who are legal to carry a firearm and use it for legal purposes. Would it not make more sense to track the people who commit criminals acts?

protias

What good does a list of law abiding citizens do? Why track people who are legal to carry a firearm and use it for legal purposes. Would it not make more sense to track the people who commit criminals acts?
Be a whole lot cheaper as there are fewer criminals than law abiding citizens.

paul@paul-fisher.com

A Paul does it pass my muster:uhoh:

I believe it does. The way I read it, it restores the right of people who don't want a permit to car carry, bar carry, carry up to the school property line (still a Federal Felony with no permit), conceal carry. I am confused as to the government building carry. Does the original SB93 include that?

The only part I think you will dislike, I know I am not thrilled, is that the $2 million is still spent on a permitting system the 1st year, 13 more state employees are hired.

springfield 1911

Founder's Club Member
2 times the dems. could of had a stricter ccw law but 2 times chose not to over ride jim doyles veto. We cried then , But who's crying now. There's a song there somewhere.

phred

Rather than start a new thread...

I was invited to speak about Constitutional Carry to the Marathon Co. Republican Party "Pints and Politics" event this evening. Things went great.
I specifically asked the County Chairman what was their "position" on Constitutional Carry. His reply was that both the County and the State GOP (from the caucus this last weekend at the Dells) were in full support of SB93 - Constitutional Carry. They also were pointing in the direction of an optional permit. They did not know the news of this thread.

With other news that I received tonight it looks like the Amended SB93 is really in the works. Along with this news, was a request that each and every one of you make sure that you do all that is possible to insure at least 17 votes for the Amended SB93.

As I mentioned in other thread/post, contact your Senator in a polite and non-threatening manner and express your desires for him/her to support the Amended SB93.

Mlutz

What do you mean? I have a Utah non-res. permit
Oscar

Utah will not renew you unless you have a home state permit. That started on the 12th of may if I remember correctly. So before you renew, you would need a Wisconsin permit. It's on the Utah website. I'll try to get a link quick.

Nutczak

The Northwoods, lakeland area, Wisconsin, USA
I am going to start a thread where people can list their senator, and if they are backing SB93 so we can see where we stand.

I contacted Senator Holperin (D) and to my utter and complete surprise, he actually co-sponsored the bill .

Oh, BTW, can someone please contact Spartacus and smear this in his face!

rcav8r

jsonline virus?

Using IE here at work. When I went to the then 3rd page of comments on the JS online link, I got one of those "windows virus" trojans/virus/whatevers. Third page would have been the first comments, I think. I could not use Alt-F4 to close the window, or click on the red X.

Ran the anti-virus, and all is good.

rcav8r

Reading through the amendments, whole buncha stuff....
First is a bunch of stuff about juveniles that have nothing to do with CC.
2nd is that the signage requirement is unaltered. :(
3rd is something about section 947, which seems to prohibit westboro baptist church type protests within 500 feet of an enterance of any facility where such services are being held.
Ominous-on page 35 there is what seems to be contridactory portions. One part makes possession IN or ON school grounds a felony, then is followed by "knowingly carrying a firearm within 1000 feet of school grounds a class B forfeiture. Maybe I don't understand the context, but this doesn't seem to go together.

Otherwise, takes effect the day it is signed, but other portions that seem to apply to the permit part take effect 4 months later (I didn't follow up on all the numbers that take place later).

BROKENSPROKET

I am going to start a thread where people can list their senator, and if they are backing SB93 so we can see where we stand.

I contacted Senator Holperin (D) and to my utter and complete surprise, he actually co-sponsored the bill .

Oh, BTW, can someone please contact Spartacus and smear this in his face!

That would be too much fun.