• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Senate panel to vote on revamped conceal-carry bill

davegran

Cassville Area -Twelve Miles From Anything, Wiscon
Senator Gallaway gets it

www.wiseye.org Senate bill 93 hearing on at 1:30
Thanks for the heads-up! It's pretty obvious after listening for a while that Senator Gallaway gets it but Senator Risser does not! He showed up with some pissant amendments that would gut SB-93.... He sounds like he represents WAVE instead of WISCONSIN.

We are sure lucky to have Senator Galloway on our side in the Committee on the Judiciary! This is our time....
2w2gf0p.jpg

Wolf1477

If Kedzie was in my district I'd be voting for him. Well spoken so far and actually seems to believe that we're law abiding and intelligent enough to do what we need to do.

Outdoorsman1

As this hearing is out of our hands....

I am thinking it is a good time to have a talk with the (spirtitual) higher power of your choice....

I know I am...

Outdoorsman1

Last edited:

Teej

Thanks for the heads-up! It's pretty obvious after listening for a while that Senator Gallaway gets it but Senator Risser does not! He showed up with some pissant amendments that would gut SB-93.... He sounds like he represents WAVE instead of WISCONSIN.

Shouldn't come as a surprise.

Risser was half of the dynamic duo (Chvala being the other half) that chopped the first recent attempted PPA, back in the pre-Doyle era.

apjonas

Well

I do not agree with your assessment. WI will be issuing a license to carry a "concealed weapon". A weapon is defined as a handgun, an electrical weapon, a knife or a billy club. With this license, you may carry a handgun openly or concealed within the currently prohibited 1000' GFSZ but not on school "grounds". The Federal law is specific. You may not carry "the" firearm unless licensed to do so (carry "the" (that specific) firearm). This pertains to Federal GFSZ only.
Upon further review, the current language of the WI proposal, so long as a firearm under 948 includes a long gun (which it does because long guns are prohibited in a school zone) allows you to carry a long gun if you are a "licensee" or an "out-of-state licensee". This means that you may carry openly or concealed a long gun or handgun within a school zone but not on school grounds so long as you have a license.

I think you agree that no license is necessary to open carry. Therefore a person openly carrying is not "licensed to do so by the state" - if you accept that the license is for a "concealed weapon" the object of the license must be (a) concealed and (2) a weapon. Considering the license to go beyond "a weapon" is no different that considering the license to go beyond "concealed" - you want to have it both ways. But the bigger point is what the feds think and I believe that they would include any firearm as being under the exemption. No worth spending a lot of time on since not many people will be lugging an SKS around. Thank you for a polite exchange of ideas.

apjonas

Uncle Fred Risser

said that without training, a WI permit would not be valid in Iowa - because they're "tough." I was under the impression that IA accepted all permits now. What is the reality?

Wisconsin Carry Inc. - Chairman

Wisconsin Carry, Inc.
We are sure lucky to have Senator Galloway on our side

Pam genuinely believes in the human right to carry. Its not a political position for her.

I talked with Pam on the phone for 20 minutes yesterday and it was based on that conversation with her that WCI decided to put its support behind SB93 even with the GFSZ permit requirement.

When she told me that was the best we could do, knowing how she is principled (not political) in her support for right to carry. I trust Pam.

I do believe SB 93 even with the GFSZ amendment gives is the 5th best right to carry laws in the country. Going from 40-something to 5th I think is monumental progress and positions us to, in a VERY short time-frame establish the efficacy of right to carry without permits and get the GFSZ issue taken care of in the near future as well.

Wolf1477

Whew! Ok, thanks. I went to the restroom and when I came back the feed was dead.

Last edited:

paul@paul-fisher.com

So... how did we do?

I didn't watch the whole thing. They passed 2 amendments to the blanket amendment, then put the blanket amendment onto the original bill, approved the amended bill and sent it to the whole Senate. There, other amendments can be offered and then a vote happens. After that, it gets sent to the house where they can amend again and then vote.

Trip20

I wish there was a way to organize a multi-state legislative conference. Invitees would include nay-saying legislators from all current concealed carry states (i.e., states that allow). These nay-sayers are the legislators that orated ad nauseum about what horrific things would happen should carry be permitted by law.

Guests of honor to this event would include the nay-saying legislators from our great state of Wisconsin. Such as those we just watched in the committee hearing.

We would make them watch hours upon hours of debate from all previous states regarding carry legislation. We would make apparent to the Wisconsin nay-sayers the repetitive nature of the concerns brought up by the previous nay-sayers. We would then make apparent that none of those concerns came to fruition. It was all for naught.

I wonder if they would see that the driving force behind their dissent is a bunch of unfounded bull hocky.

I'm sorry..... I'm just sick of hearing the same inane arguments over and over.....

Last edited:

Outdoorsman1

I didn't watch the whole thing. They passed 2 amendments to the blanket amendment, then put the blanket amendment onto the original bill, approved the amended bill and sent it to the whole Senate. There, other amendments can be offered and then a vote happens. After that, it gets sent to the house where they can amend again and then vote.

So lets hope this all takes place before July.... (Recalls)....

Outdoorsman1