• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Gov. Perry waffling on open carry?

KBCraig

We've heard repeatedly that Rick Perry will sign open carry legislation if it makes it to his desk. Perhaps he will, but he sure isn't an advocate.

On Tom Gresham's Guntalk yesterday (5/22/2011), he told his coyote story, and talked about what he hopes to see from the legislature. Tom then asked him when Texas would legalize open carry, and he reacted like someone had just handed him a turd. "Uh, well, ummm, I'm just really a big concealed carry guy. I don't want the bad guys knowing I'm armed."

http://guntalk.libsyn.com/guntalk-2011-05-22-part-c

It's a good segment. Tom even makes the point that he thinks felons should get all their rights back (including gun rights) after they've done their time. I agree, but I didn't expect a national radio host to take that position without even being asked.

Jack House

I'm glad to hear that sentiment may be spreading. I completely agree that once an individual serves their time and is released they should be given all rights back. I mean, when it boils right down to it. The same logic used against all out gun bans applies to this debate as well.

Only the law abiding are forbidden from owning firearms. It wont stop the criminals, so there is no point.

P.S. sounds like Perry was just playing to the NRA/TSRA guys while trying not to upset the OC guys.

Last edited:

DKSuddeth

Accomplished Advocate
perry will 'cop' out just like jan brewer did. he'll get an earful from police chiefs across the state and then say the bill was badly written.