• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Gun Rack.

nydar47

One reason to open carry is to inure the citizenry as it pertains to their 2 Amendment rights. Do you have a gun rack? Do you use it?

The old pickup I bought came with a gun rack. Drove it for some time with the rack empty. Got a bug one day and put two air rifles in the rack, sitting in the park reading a biography of W.C. Fields. I happened to look in the rear view mirror in time to see two of Boise's finest approaching! Someone had called in a man with gun. I told them the air guns were unloaded but the book is loaded. They left without me.

After that I swapped out the air rifles for real rifles and a 12ga. I have gotten one more man with gun call, I have also gotten several complements.

How about you?

http://thecrazyneighbor.com/2009/12/gun-rack-on-a-bicycle/

MR Redenck

I thought the Tater state had great gun laws.
To answer your question, no, I never leave my guns visible inside my truck unless im in it.
Too Much Cartel crap in Texas. They steal everything, even if its bolted down. If its bolted to your truck, they steal the whole truck!

nydar47

I thought the Tater state had great gun laws.
To answer your question, no, I never leave my guns visible inside my truck unless im in it.
Too Much Cartel crap in Texas. They steal everything, even if its bolted down. If its bolted to your truck, they steal the whole truck!

It is not that Idaho has great gun laws, It is a dearth of bad ones that makes Idaho the place to be.

As for the man with a gun calls, Boise P.D. has been outstanding. In all the encounters I have had, the officer(s) actions have been the very definition of professionalism even when they were ignorant of state preemption.

When I am not with the truck, if it is in plain sight it is locked and watched. If I am out of sight, it is put out of sight or with me.

Last edited:

Joe GlockStar

One reason to open carry is to inure the citizenry as it pertains to their 2 Amendment rights. Do you have a gun rack? Do you use it?

The old pickup I bought came with a gun rack. Drove it for some time with the rack empty. Got a bug one day and put two air rifles in the rack, sitting in the park reading a biography of W.C. Fields. I happened to look in the rear view mirror in time to see two of Boise's finest approaching! Someone had called in a man with gun. I told them the air guns were unloaded but the book is loaded. They left without me.

After that I swapped out the air rifles for real rifles and a 12ga. I have gotten one more man with gun call, I have also gotten several complements.

How about you?

http://thecrazyneighbor.com/2009/12/gun-rack-on-a-bicycle/

ah....my all time favorite gun, the Remington speedmaster 552, first gun i ever shot when i was a tike. and on a mounTain bike? coolness :shocker:

DCR

Considering one

I found an old (I'd guess ca. 1970's, given the price tag) rear-window/behind the seat, two-piece, two-hook gun rack, still in the packaging and am considering mounting it in my rear window. Might as well put it to use, right? My only concerns are, of course, visibility of the guns - though it's mitigated somewhat because the factory rear window tint is pretty dark - and interfering with the sliding window, which I have my kids open and reach into the cooler for sodas when we're on the road.

ecocks

I'd love to get one of these for my truck. As already mentioned, I'd want to be careful about the guns being secure while in view but it would be great when traveling and in sight.

since9

Campaign Veteran
I happened to look in the rear view mirror in time to see two of Boise's finest approaching! Someone had called in a man with gun. I told them the air guns were unloaded but the book is loaded. They left without me.

How about you?

Back when I lived in that area, I loved hiking in Idaho as they flat out didn't care whether or not I was carrying a .44 mag because they knew than on very rare occasion, campers who didn't carry wound up dead (natural animals, not human animals).

In fact, a 1992 conversation while I was completing my supply list to muck further north into Idaho from Sandpoint consisted of "what do you plan to do with that thing? / Hopefully nothing. Depends on the wildlife, and I hope they do nothing."

Something along those lines. He simply laughed and said, it's marginally grizzly country up there, so you're smart to be prepared, to which I said, "I hope to encounter nothing but wilderness, and will do my best to stay away from the bears."

That ended our 42-second conversation in Sandpoint ID.

That began one of the most interesting 3-day moose-ridden experiences of my and ex's life!

Gun rank, sun smack (adverse reference to sun/moon roof). SO! If you're allowed to carry in a gun rank (duh, that's what they're for...), but still the law prevails. Carry as you can. If loaded, fine, if not, that's ok.

One thing: I agree with the restriction in most states against a long-gun being chambered with a round as most don't any any interventions against that chambered round being fired due to either impact or fire.

Beyond that, OC should be fully chambered unless either within one's direct control or if the firearm itself includes such intervention. Most handguns these days have some sort of protection against inadvertent firing.