• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

12 Officers Respond to MWAG Call at Nor Cal Mall

Lawful Aim

It appears to be a case of false reporting but is an indicator of what to expect if one doesn't utilize a holster. Could someone be trying to stir the pot on AB144?

Woman makes up story about armed man at Mountain View Sears

By Jesse Dungan

Daily News Staff Writer

Posted: 05/23/2011 08:48:03 PM PDT
Updated: 05/23/2011 08:48:05 PM PDT

Police are searching for a woman who made up a story about a man with a handgun at the Mountain View Sears on Monday.
A dozen officers, some of them armed with semi-automatic rifles, descended on the San Antonio Shopping Center at about 2 p.m. after the woman told police over the phone she had seen a man in his 30s walking through the store with a pistol tucked into his waistband.
"They were very detailed in the call about what the person looked like and where they were inside Sears," said Mountain View police spokeswoman Liz Wylie.
The woman, however, suddenly hung up and did not pick up the phone when police called her back, Wylie said.
"Pretty early on we started to become suspicious it was a prank call," Wylie said.
Because police were suspicious of the call and the woman said the man appeared to be leaving the store, officers didn't evacuate customers and employees, according to Wylie. Police reviewed surveillance footage to confirm the report was bogus, she said.
Authorities are working to identify the caller, who could face a charge of making a false report of an emergency.
The police response involved 10 officers from Mountain View and two from Palo Alto, according to Wylie.
http://www.mercurynews.com/breaking-news/ci_18125071

ConditionThree

State Pioneer
Perhaps it was Karen Arntzen trying to gin up support since the Brady Campaign doesnt have heavily populated bay area UOC events to protest.

This story is a stark contrast to the response to UOC elsewhere in the state, which scarcely raised an eyebrow at a function where state, county and city law enforcement were all in attendance.

Last edited:

KS_to_CA

Perhaps it was Karen Arntzen trying to gin up support since the Brady Campaign doesnt have heavily populated bay area UOC events to protest.

This story is a stark contrast to the response to UOC elsewhere in the state, which scarcely raised an eyebrow at a function where state, county and city law enforcement were all in attendance.

"...with a pistol tucked into his waistband."

This is probably the reason.

ConditionThree

State Pioneer

I doubt that the difference in response had much to do with the fact my pistol was secured in a holster and the reported gun was not. I would surmise that the difference is between the hand wringing, anti-gun chicken littles of the bay area and sane, rational human beings.

hgreen

That shouldn't make a difference from a police response standpoint. But we are in CA...

In most parts of the country, if the gun is visible, its open carry.

When I was in Virginia a few weeks back at an open carry dinner, about 1/3 of the 30 people there were OCing that way.

Superlite27

Authorities are working to identify the caller, who could face a charge of making a false report of an emergency.

Even if she had seen a man with a firearm.....

...how is that an emergency?

Anyone calling cops without a firearm being discharged should be prosecuted for this.

Last edited:

MKEgal

hgreen said:
When I was in Virginia a few weeks back at an open carry dinner, about 1/3 of the 30 people there were OCing that way.
Simply tucked into the waistband??? :shocker:
That's not a safe way to carry, & (back to appearances) it's what criminals do.

Superlite27 said:
Even if she had seen a man with a firearm... how is that an emergency?
Anyone calling cops without a firearm being discharged should be prosecuted for this.
I agree with the first part, not the second.
If someone's being belligerant, waving it around, pointing it at people, generally being threatening, I see no problem with calling police (& taking cover or leaving the area).
We've had a few agencies, getting a MWAG call, that ask "what is the person doing with the gun?" and when they're told it's in a holster & the person is (drinking coffee, having dinner, shopping) they let the caller know that that's not illegal.