Thread: driving through

driving through

i'm driving through MD on my way to VA, do i have to carry my gun a certain way? i have a CWL from florida
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

doubt is a distraction from reality. fear is acknowledging doubt as reality.

it's time to tap in to a higher reality; the one you were made for.

The running joke about MD is that they don't recognize ANY State's permits--not even their own in some cases.

Unfortunately it is not a joke...

Your FL permit isn't worth the plastic it's printed on in MD. The MD State Police have testified in their General Assembly that they oppose reciprocity with ANY state because they believe that the investigative procedures and capabilites of LEAs in other states are so substandard and untrustworthy that there is no way that MD can trust that the people with permits issued by other states would meet MD's "stict requirements".

Funny thing about that is MD is one of the only states in the Union that has no classroom training or range qualification for the issuance of their License. That and the fact that the MSP, and the LEAs in the urban 4 counties of MD have some of the highest numbers of Federal Civil Rights violations ruled against them of ANY LEAs in the nation, and MD LEAs have paid out TENS of MILIONS of dollars in Federal Civil Rights damages to citizens in the last decade.

But the police in OTHER states are the untrustworthy and incompetent ones, in their eyes...

Anyway, the only way to legally transport a firearm through MD is under FOPA rules. You need to unload the gun, store the ammo in a separate container, and have the gun in a place inaccessible to the driver or passengers.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Firearm...Protection_Act

In the trunk is good if you're in a car.

If you have an SUV (I have a Chevy HHR, so this is how I do it) put it in the very back of the vehicle.

I have an MTM ammo box with a padlock for my ammo and mags (you DO NOT have to unload the mags, just take them out of the gun), and I put my firearms in locked boxes, which are tethered to the tie-down rings in the back of my HHR with Kyptonite bike cables.

I also have printouts of the FOPA code that I put in my gun safes--ON TOP of the guns, and a printout of the MD Attorney General's ruling on loaded mags being legal to transport, that I put in the ammo box--ON TOP of the mags.

Also, you need to know that to remain compliant with FOPA conditions (and NOT come under Md statutes) you need to be driving straight through--not stopping for the night, or shopping at Ikea, or sightseeing or whatever. The only stops you can make under FOPA are "incidental stops" like for fuel, or meals, or bathroom breaks at a rest stop.

Make sure your lights on your vehicle are all in order. Make sure your tags are in order. Make sure you obey the traffic laws, and for heaven's sake, DON'T speed. Out-of-state plates are like bear-bait in the People's Republic of Maryland, and they LOVE pulling over out-of-staters and handing out pieces of "paying paper", because they know that travelers RARELY will show up for the court date to contest traffic citations.

Follow the rules, keep your eyes open, and don't drive like an a$$hat. Maryland is a pretty small state, and if you're driving through on I-95, it's only an hour or two that you need to be concerned with.

Once you "cross the moat" into VA, you're ollie-ollie-oxen free...

Good luck.
    Last edited by Dreamer; 05-24-2011 at 02:38 AM.
    It is our cause to dispel the foggy thinking which avoids hard decisions in the delusion that a world of conflict will somehow mysteriously resolve itself into a world of harmony, if we just don't rock the boat or irritate the forces of aggression—and this is hogwash."
    --Barry Goldwater, 1964

Quote Originally Posted by Dreamer View Post
    The running joke about MD is that they don't recognize ANY State's permits--not even their own in some cases.

Unfortunately it is not a joke...

Your FL permit isn't worth the plastic it's printed on in MD. The MD State Police have testified in their General Assembly that they oppose reciprocity with ANY state because they believe that the investigative procedures and capabilites of LEAs in other states are so substandard and untrustworthy that there is no way that MD can trust that the people with permits issued by other states would meet MD's "stict requirements".

Funny thing about that is MD is one of the only states in the Union that has no classroom training or range qualification for the issuance of their License. That and the fact that the MSP, and the LEAs in the urban 4 counties of MD have some of the highest numbers of Federal Civil Rights violations ruled against them of ANY LEAs in the nation, and MD LEAs have paid out TENS of MILIONS of dollars in Federal Civil Rights damages to citizens in the last decade.

But the police in OTHER states are the untrustworthy and incompetent ones, in their eyes...

Anyway, the only way to legally transport a firearm through MD is under FOPA rules. You need to unload the gun, store the ammo in a separate container, and have the gun in a place inaccessible to the driver or passengers.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Firearm...Protection_Act

In the trunk is good if you're in a car.

If you have an SUV (I have a Chevy HHR, so this is how I do it) put it in the very back of the vehicle.

I have an MTM ammo box with a padlock for my ammo and mags (you DO NOT have to unload the mags, just take them out of the gun), and I put my firearms in locked boxes, which are tethered to the tie-down rings in the back of my HHR with Kyptonite bike cables.

I also have printouts of the FOPA code that I put in my gun safes--ON TOP of the guns, and a printout of the MD Attorney General's ruling on loaded mags being legal to transport, that I put in the ammo box--ON TOP of the mags.

Also, you need to know that to remain compliant with FOPA conditions (and NOT come under Md statutes) you need to be driving straight through--not stopping for the night, or shopping at Ikea, or sightseeing or whatever. The only stops you can make under FOPA are "incidental stops" like for fuel, or meals, or bathroom breaks at a rest stop.

Make sure your lights on your vehicle are all in order. Make sure your tags are in order. Make sure you obey the traffic laws, and for heaven's sake, DON'T speed. Out-of-state plates are like bear-bait in the People's Republic of Maryland, and they LOVE pulling over out-of-staters and handing out pieces of "paying paper", because they know that travelers RARELY will show up for the court date to contest traffic citations.

Follow the rules, keep your eyes open, and don't drive like an a$$hat. Maryland is a pretty small state, and if you're driving through on I-95, it's only an hour or two that you need to be concerned with.

Once you "cross the moat" into VA, you're ollie-ollie-oxen free...

Good luck.
    thx
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

doubt is a distraction from reality. fear is acknowledging doubt as reality.

it's time to tap in to a higher reality; the one you were made for.

It's an odd paradox - MD police must get some glee from knowing that anyone with a legal HG doesn't dare speed, or give them any excuse to be stopped.

I might add the only time I was stopped for speeding I was doing the legal limit with a cruise control locked on 56mph. I was passed by a speeding bus and a car going down a hill and the trooper must have got the other vehicles and thought it was me. I started to argue with him but decided not to, since I couldn't prove I had the CC on. This was back in the 80s, Goochland Co., notorious at the time I found out for pulling people over left and right.

To add, I was cited for doing 70-something, and I -never- speed. Sometimes I hit 49 in a 45 or 30 in a 25, but only for a few yards, if that. On interstates I always use CC.
    Last edited by Badger Johnson; 05-24-2011 at 09:24 AM.

Unhappy Md sucks

Drive to Virginia via. West Virginia stay out of this state and don't spend any money here.

Quote Originally Posted by Badger Johnson View Post
    It's an odd paradox - MD police must get some glee from knowing that anyone with a legal HG doesn't dare speed, or give them any excuse to be stopped.
    Back in the day (about 1997) I actually got pulled over on I-270 (driving home to VA from my place of employment) in Rockville for doing 55 in a stretch of road that was posted 55. The MSP officer said the reason he pulled me over was that I was "not keeping up with the flow of traffic".

I answered "but everyone else is speeding, and keeping up with them would be illegal."

He said "yeah, but I pulled YOU over because you were standing out as different, and around here that is more of a problem than "technically (he actually used air quotes) breaking the law"...

I did not, however get a ticket--just a warning to--GET THIS--drive faster. I was actually ordered by an LEO to break the law, because compliance with the posted speed limit made me "stand out as different"...

True F-ing story...

It was then that I finally realized that Maryland government and LE was completely, irrefutably, and undeniably insane, and I needed to start looking for somewhere else to work...
    Last edited by Dreamer; 05-26-2011 at 01:02 AM.
    It is our cause to dispel the foggy thinking which avoids hard decisions in the delusion that a world of conflict will somehow mysteriously resolve itself into a world of harmony, if we just don't rock the boat or irritate the forces of aggression—and this is hogwash."
    --Barry Goldwater, 1964