• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Guns and Traffic Stops

AH.74

I have NO doubt what you're saying is true. With that being the case, NM won't ever see me traveling to or through it. I'll go out of my way to spend my $$$$'s in other states that are more firearms friendly. :D

Don't worry, it's not true at all.

MR Redenck

As many others pointed out, in NM you do not have to notify the officer that you are carrying concealed. Of course, if asked, I would answer honestly.

Me too. I have no problem answering that question. It's what they do after you answer that makes the situation good or bad.

AH.74

As many others pointed out, in NM you do not have to notify the officer that you are carrying concealed. Of course, if asked, I would answer honestly.

Me too. I have no problem answering that question. It's what they do after you answer that makes the situation good or bad.

To clarify- if asked by an officer, it is the law that you answer truthfully. If not asked, you do not need to say anything.

JamesB

On what grounds?
Since the gun wasn't an element of the crime* for which you contacted the person (traffic stop), how could you justify doing more than maybe keeping it out of their reach (for "officer safety")?
Running the serial # is an illegal search unless the gun is an element of the crime (or you persuade the person to allow it).

O shucks one more illegal search...

That just means they can't try you for it court.
It also doesn't mean you can have it back if it turns out to be stolen or some such. They may be forced to admit they had no reason to search or to sieze, but they still can't give it back if it is unlawful to posess.

MKEgal

AH.74 said:
if asked by an officer, it is the law that you answer truthfully.
If not asked, you do not need to say anything.
Does your state have a law that overrides the 5A right to remain silent? :shocker:
Because the 3rd option is simply not to answer.

JamesB said:
They may be forced to admit they had no reason to search or to sieze, but they still can't give it back if it is unlawful to posess.
They would, however, be required to pay the person they stole it from its value in cash.
And then there are the awards for the 4A violations, coming from the 1983 suit.

Last edited:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
To clarify- if asked by an officer, it is the law that you answer truthfully. If not asked, you do not need to say anything.

Not quite - you also have the option of not answering.

Responding with a question is also a non-answer response - i.e. what is the purpose of your question - am I suspected of having committed, presently committing ,or about to commit a crime?

If you do give a direct answer to question, then make it truthful.

AH.74

Does your state have a law that overrides the 5A right to remain silent?
Because the 3rd option is simply not to answer.

Imagine getting stopped, the officer asks if there are any weapons. You shut up and say nothing. What do you think he's going to do? Leave you be? Chances are you will be detained and searched, and then who knows what they will do. Why risk it? You're virtually guaranteeing that he will disarm you, at the very least, because you have shown yourself to be untrustworthy.

Why on earth would you not answer, if you legally own the gun and are not a prohibited person? Nothing good can come of not answering truthfully.

AFA licensing goes, NMAC 10.8.2.16 (C) states that if you are carrying concealed in public and asked to show your license, you must do so.

Last edited:

AH.74

Nothing good can come of not keeping your mouth shut.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6wXkI4t7nuc

Never talk to police.

I am referring to a specific situation discussed in this thread, and not one in reference to being arrested or questioned wrt a crime. I've seen those videos and happen to agree with him. But not in this specific case.

Again- if you are stopped and asked if there are weapons in the vehicle, nothing good will come of you shutting up. You will be removed from the vehicle and you and the vehicle will be searched. Then, depending on what the officer thinks, you may be arrested.

Or, you could tell him of your weapons and hopefully be treated with respect and professionalism. I would rather err on the side of that risk, than annoy an officer for not telling him I was armed.

Last edited:

FireStar M40

Every Single Weapon You Have..?

AH.74 said in part..

Again- if you are stopped and asked if there are weapons in the vehicle, nothing good will come of you shutting up. You will be removed from the vehicle and you and the vehicle will be searched. Then, depending on what the officer thinks, you may be arrested.

Or, you could tell him of your weapons and hopefully be treated with respect and professionalism. I would rather err on the side of that risk..

Not trying to nit-pick, but you would let the officer know of "EVERY" weapon you have in your vehicle.. and remember, you're the one who said "WEAPON".

Don't you think this just might make the Officer think you're a wise a** and P.O. them off if you did.

FireStar M40

AH.74

AH.74 said in part..
Not trying to nit-pick, but you would let the officer know of "EVERY" weapon you have in your vehicle.. and remember, you're the one who said "WEAPON".

Don't you think this just might make the Officer think you're a wise a** and P.O. them off if you did.

Yes, I would, and I have. And I have not had problems.

I'm not sure I understand your second question- but no, I do not think it would do that. Honest questions, honest answers. And, attitude is important in these situations. Act like a punk, get treated like one. Act respectful, hopefully get treated in kind. Cops are very good at reading your attitude and if you are truly trying to be helpful- they're just doing their jobs.

AH.74

Detained and searched for what crime, looking for what? No RAS, no legal search no legal detainment, serious constitutional violations.

Try telling that to him as he's ordering you to step out of the vehicle. See how well that works.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Try telling that to him as he's ordering you to step out of the vehicle. See how well that works.

I would be glad to tell him, his supervisor and the local Circuit Judge.

+1

Quoting User and his suggestions:
They are trained in techniques for manipulative social interactions. They may be confrontational and aggressive; overly friendly; tell you that you're going to be arrested and thrown in jail if you don't comply; tell you that your friend/brother/girlfriend/mother has been arrested and they need to be able to talk to you; there are all sorts of variations depending on the cop you're dealing with. But in all cases, just remember that your interaction with cops is inherently adversarial and that you should agree to nothing and, while responding politely, say nothing.

"Thank you, officer, but I prefer not to."
"Am I under arrest?"
"Am I free to leave?"
"Are you giving me an order, or making a request?"
"I'd rather not chat, thanks."
"I prefer not to talk about guns."
I will give serious attention to genuine legal direction, not so much to internet opinions that should be followed by IANAL.

FireStar M40

Answer About All Weapons..

Yes, I would, and I have. And I have not had problems.

I'm not sure I understand your second question- but no, I do not think it would do that. Honest questions, honest answers. And, attitude is important in these situations. Act like a punk, get treated like one. Act respectful, hopefully get treated in kind. Cops are very good at reading your attitude and if you are truly trying to be helpful- they're just doing their jobs.

I could see it going like this if you're a word specific person like I am.

Officer: Do you have any weapons in your vehicle?

Answer: Yes Sir. In the trunk I have a tire iron.. and oh yes, a jack. There's also my set of jumper cables. I also have a couple of road flares and a tow rope. On the back seat is my laptop computer, a cooler with some glass bottles of beer.. both empty and full. I've got some pens and pencils in the glove box, cd's in the center console and a iPad on the front seat. There's my gps up here on the dash and I have my cell phone in my shirt pocket. Etc., etc.

So.. as I was asking, do you really tell them about all the WEAPONS you have in your vehicle.. or not?

FireStar M40

AH.74

Now you guys are getting ridiculous. When an officer is asking about weapons, he's asking about actual weapons, firearms first and foremost. I have notified of this, and of a knife in my pocket.

And AFA an officer having reason and justification, the first thought he has is his own safety. If he thinks there may be weapons in the vehicle and you refuse to answer, he will do whatever he needs to do to ensure his safety during the traffic stop. If this means he feels it's necessary to have you exit the vehicle so he can cuff you, guess what he's going to do no matter what you think?

AH.74

It is not about what I think or about what you think. It is not even about what the LEO thinks. It's about what the law and the Constitution demand.They don't get to make it up as they go.

You're not getting it. He's stopped you for a violation. Once he's done that you're at his mercy. If he needs to detain you for his own safety, he will do so and be completely justified in doing so.

I will not continue to argue this point with you.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
It is not about what I think or about what you think. It is not even about what the LEO thinks. It's about what the law and the Constitution demand.They don't get to make it up as they go.

You're not getting it. He's stopped you for a violation. Once he's done that you're at his mercy. If he needs to detain you for his own safety, he will do so and be completely justified in doing so.

I will not continue to argue this point with you.

So the answer is to give up, roll over and let the officer have a free pass because he is going to do what he wants to do with whatever justification he wishes to make up on the fly?

I don't think so! Won't do battle on the street beyond a certain point, but will follow through after the fact.

Compliance because he can make it hard for you is what got us to this point. Intimidation is a tool of some LEOs. Giving in is akin to giving away your rights.

BTW - I ask for fairness, consideration, justice, lawful procedure, no undo duress.............not mercy.

Last edited:

AH.74

So the answer is to give up, roll over and let the officer have a free pass because he is going to do what he wants to do with whatever justification he wishes to make up on the fly?

I don't think so! Won't do battle on the street beyond a certain point, but will follow through after the fact.

Compliance because he can make it hard for you is what got us to this point. Intimidation is a tool of some LEOs. Giving in is akin to giving away your rights.

BTW - I ask for fairness, consideration, justice, lawful procedure, no undo duress.............not mercy.

Justification for officer safety is not "making things up on the fly." He's found guns on you or in the vehicle that you felt the need to not notify him of.

Good luck with that. You think the judge isn't going to wonder why you felt the need to not disclose the fact you had guns in the car when the officer asked? The judge, the officer's supervisor and anyone else will side with the officer every time. You will fail in your complaints.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior

Justification for officer safety is not "making things up on the fly." He's found guns on you or in the vehicle that you felt the need to not notify him of.

Good luck with that. You think the judge isn't going to wonder why you felt the need to not disclose the fact you had guns in the car when the officer asked? The judge, the officer's supervisor and anyone else will side with the officer every time. You will fail in your complaints.

You would seem to see the glass as half empty and draining.

Not so in my experience. I have been there and done that and have also been associated with people that have taken a stance - not always of their choosing. Have not seen a mark in the loss column yet.

I am not anti-LEO; actually quite pro. Still there are circumstances and issues that I will not be the good puppy and accept the pat on the head reward.

Grandfather taught me (though not original to him) that I can be your best friend or your worst enemy. The choice of anywhere between the two is up to you - I will respond accordingly.