• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Boulder County Buildings

Brass

"Interesting point — I went to Planet Boulder to get my motorcycle registration renewed yesterday and found a new sign on the county building door...NO OPEN CARRY. Once the sign said no guns, then the sign went away, and now it's no open carry. As I said, interesting." -Michael Bane

Would anyone care to comment on the legality of this? It seems to me that, being a public building, they can either completely outlaw guns by posting signs and having a metal detector at each entrance or they can allow anyone to carry as they see fit in accordance to State law.

Ilikesa

I think they look at the cost of installing a metal detector, employing security, and installing lock boxes for firearms, and just say "forget that, it's too expensive!" I hope that one day we can get all the illegal signs down, and just stick with the law. I hate that state parks, open spaces, and government buildings try to mislead the public and gun owners/carriers with their postings.

Oh, my understanding is that local governments can regulate method of carry, necessitating a CCW if one wants to carry in that building. Maybe we can get Constitutional carry passed and be done with it.

Last edited:

aadvark

Brass:

Colorado Code 29-11.7-104 States, that:

A Local Government may Enact an Ordinance, Regulation, or other Law that Prohibits The Open Carrying of a Firearm in a Building or Specific Area within The Local Government's Jurisdiction. If a Local Government Enacts an Ordinance, Regulation, or other Law that Prohibits The Open Carrying of a Firearm in a Building or Specific Area, The Local Government shall Post Signs at The Public Entrances to The Building or Specific Area Informing Persons that The Open Carrying of Firearms is Prohibited in The Building or Specific Area.

Source: L. 2003: Entire Article added, p. 653, § 2, Effective March 18.

Bouder City has such a Prohibition under Bouder City Code 5-8-15, but such Prohibition, by its Own Terms, can not Apply to or Effect Concealed Carry, as such Concealed Carry Law Authorizes Concealed Carry ANYWHERE in Colorado, except; the Following Places: 1. Any Place Off-Limits under Federal Law 18 U.S.C. 930, 2. Any Property Owned by or Leased to, or where Real Improvements are there upon, any Public Elementary, Public Middle, Public Junior. High, or Public High School, 3. Any Public Building that has Implemented Security Features beyond The Mere Posing of a Sign, or 4. A Private Property Owner from Exercising His or Her Right to Private Property Governance.

aadvark

***Bouder City Code 5-8, has SEVERAL Code Sections that are UNENFORCEABLE under Colorados' State-wide Firearms Preemption Law, 29-11.7-101, and thus, can be Ignored, but, Unfortuantely, Bouder City Code 5-8-15 is NEITHER Illegal NOR Preempted.***

Last edited: