• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Mstodon state park

Tony4310

Curious, can I open carry in Mastodon state park? I know we can in state parks,but being in Jeffco. I am unaware of the law there regarding OC.

Last edited:

repomasterstl

Imperial is unincorparated (which is where the mailing address for park is) . So I would like to think yes, at least I haven't found anything saying otherwise. I don't know about the park.

Last edited:

mspgunner

OC in Missouri State Parks

Just wanted to make sure.
I have communicated with The Park Police in Jefferson City.
Good response.

This was an email from him;
I received your e-mail concerning concealed and open carry of firearms in Missouri State Parks. Thank you for your interest in Missouri State Parks and your desire to comply with park rules, regulations and state statutes.
Concealed carry is permitted in Missouri State Parks with the possession of a valid concealed carry permit. Open carry is also legal in Missouri State Parks; however, it is a violation of state law to carry a weapon, either concealed or open carry, into any building owned or occupied by any agency of the federal or state government (i.e., park office, visitor center, etc.).
Again, thank you for your interest in Missouri State Parks. Please let me know if you have additional questions, or if I can be of further service.

Sincerely,

John P. Hoover, Major
Division of State Parks
Park Ranger Program
573-751-5358
john.hoover@dnr.mo.gov

cshoff

<snip>.....however, it is a violation of state law to carry a weapon, either concealed or open carry, into any building owned or occupied by any agency of <...snip...> the state government (i.e., park office, visitor center, etc.)......<snip>

Actually, for those with valid CCW endorsement, that is incorrect.

cshoff

Just sent the email I have from them..... The State Parks I've visited since CCW became law have their buildings posted.

It still wouldn't be "a violation of state law" for a person with a valid CCW endorsement to enter them with a firearm.

Last edited:

cshoff

Ok, I got it. Could be more direct, your talikg about the buildings and "asked to leave" or the LOEs are called, thus a "citation"?

No, I am not being indirect at all. The only statute that specifies an unlawful act for entering a state government owned building with a firearm is RSMO 571.030.1.(8). Persons with a valid CCW endorsement are specifically exempted from that provision in RSMO 571.030.4. So, as I mentioned above, the person who responded to you in the email was incorrect, it is NOT a "violation of state law" to carry a firearm into a state-owned building if you possess a valid CCW endorsement. It isn't even an infraction or an "offense" that could warrant a "citation".

No, I am not being indirect at all. The only statute that specifies an unlawful act for entering a state government owned building with a firearm is RSMO 571.030.1.(8). Persons with a valid CCW endorsement are specifically exempted from that provision in RSMO 571.030.4. So, as I mentioned above, the person who responded to you in the email was incorrect, it is NOT a "violation of state law" to carry a firearm into a state-owned building if you possess a valid CCW endorsement. It isn't even an infraction or an "offense" that could warrant a "citation".

In light of the above then do you carry into the State Capitol building when you are in Jefferson City? And if not why not?

Last edited:

cshoff

Can they post the buildings in State park "No firearms"? That may actually be a complicated question, or not?

Yes, they can definitely post them, but the signs have no force of law as far as CCW endorsement holders are concerned.

The point I am trying to make here is that, typical of government employees, they either purposefully misstate the law in an attempt to influence your actions, or they are simply ignorant of the law and go by what they "think" it says because they don't know any better. I was only pointing out his misstatement and am not necessarily suggesting that anyone with a valid CCW endorsement should or shouldn't disregard signs posted on park offices or other buildings. It is up to each individual to weigh their options and make their own decisions in that regard.

cshoff

In light of the above then do you carry into the State Capitol building when you are in Jefferson City? And if not why not?

It would depend on why I was there. If I was going just to take "the tour", then I'd probably carry. If I was going to testify at a hearing on a gun-related issue, then I probably wouldn't as a chance discovery of the weapon might be detrimental to issue ever seeing the light of day. Discretion is the better part of valor.

mspgunner

It would depend on why I was there. If I was going just to take "the tour", then I'd probably carry. If I was going to testify at a hearing on a gun-related issue, then I probably wouldn't as a chance discovery of the weapon might be detrimental to issue ever seeing the light of day. Discretion is the better part of valor.

I'm a bit surprised you'd even carry in the Capitol!

cshoff

Have you ever heard the old saying "talk is cheap"?

I'm not sure what you are trying to imply. They don't have metal detectors or use pat downs in the Capitol Building so unless you walked in with your gun exposed, or you said something about having one, nobody would ever know you were carrying. It wouldn't be any different than carrying into a park building or a Conservation Department Center.

cshoff

I'm a bit surprised you'd even carry in the Capitol!

Like I said, Marc, it would all depend on why I was there. It wouldn't be an arbitrary decision. Being how I usually only get to the Capitol 2 or 3 times each year, and usually for gun-related reasons (rallies, hearings, etc), I don't view it as being all that necessary.