• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Mstodon state park

mspgunner

I'm not sure what you are trying to imply. They don't have metal detectors or use pat downs in the Capitol Building so unless you walked in with your gun exposed, or you said something about having one, nobody would ever know you were carrying. It wouldn't be any different than carrying into a park building or a Conservation Department Center.

I agree there, just like the stores and such, not saying I ignore the signs... but....

LMTD

Accomplished Advocate
It still wouldn't be "a violation of state law" for a person with a valid CCW endorsement to enter them with a firearm.

I think it is simply a matter of semantics and a lack of understanding of the wording of the law.

Violation depends upon ones use of the word. Under the CCW law, carry into any of the 17 places or a posted location is not criminal but it would be a violation of the law meaning you did in fact do the opposite of what the law says you should do, however it is not a "violation of the law" in the legal sense of the phrase aka it is not a criminal matter and you will not have a penalty if you do it unless you are kind of stupid after it is noticed and refuse to leave, no different than if you are asked to leave for any other reason.

I personally think the wording was on purpose to make it vague to get folks to comply with others wishes.

I tend to agree with hoff, when responding to an inquiry an authority SHOULD be accurate in their response, however, I doubt any level of training is employed to determine that they even can, let alone will do as much. Basically you get the individuals opinion of what the law states vs an accurate portrayal of it.

cshoff

I think it is simply a matter of semantics and a lack of understanding of the wording of the law.

Violation depends upon ones use of the word. Under the CCW law, carry into any of the 17 places or a posted location is not criminal but it would be a violation of the law meaning you did in fact do the opposite of what the law says you should do, however it is not a "violation of the law" in the legal sense of the phrase aka it is not a criminal matter and you will not have a penalty if you do it unless you are kind of stupid after it is noticed and refuse to leave, no different than if you are asked to leave for any other reason.

That is incorrect. Carrying into ANY of the 17 places by a CCW endorsement holder, is not a violation of any state law at all. No semantics about it. No violation exists in any form unless/until you are asked to leave and you refuse. It is not a "violation", it is not an "infraction", and it is not "against the spirit of the law". Simply put, the entire section of 571.107.1(1) - (17) is written only as an acknowledgment on the state's part that they do not have the authority to force the entities mentioned in (1) - (17) to recognize your permit and allow you to carry on their property.