• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

My first neg encounter w/WSP

MSG Laigaie

Campaign Veteran
It was suggested that I move this and start a new thread. So this is what happened.

I have been told most (85/95%) LEOs are good guys. This I believe. Thus some (5/15%) are "cobains". I have seen a great deal of video about leos (the 5/15 group) abusing their power. I was stopped by WSP the end of last week. My Sweet Baboo and I were walking the dogs (gotta stop feeding them, they just poop it out). We are a pretty tame looking pair when out with our little dogs. As we entered B Donovan park I saw a WSP patrol car parked over by the basketball court. We went the other way headed for the water. Now it starts. I hear a voice yell, "HEY" ( not the polite 'hey' but that nasty one, you've heard it) and we turn to see the officer walking twoards us. "Hello, say we, is there trouble about?" He had move about a hundred meters fom his vehicle and the park was empty. "I couldn't notice the you are wearing a gun. I know open carry is legal. " " Do you have some identification?" "Where do you live?" "Why do you need my ID, am I doing something illeagle?" "I don't know you." says he. From there it went downhill. I offered my first name and said "now we know each other." " If I see you with a gun, I'm going to stop you!" says he. Baboo is getting irritated because I was being 'difficult'. "fourth ammendment!!" says I. We(wife & I) argue abut why I am being the designated icehole. ""I am not breaking any laws and he knows it. " After a few minutes more he gave up. WSP went back to his unit and the Bickersons continued walking dogs. It took a full day for Lori to "not be hissed at me" for not cooperating.

I do not mind working with LEOs. I like to work for the "greater Good". My perception of this contact was that he was negetive from the start. Lori did not pick up on the "key phrases" like "HEY" and "If I see you with a gun, I'm going to stop you!" Once you demonstrate you are an Icehole, I no longer consider continued interaction you.

Fallschirjmäger

thumbs_up_bciy.jpg

I firmly believe in cooperation, though.
You should have asked for his cellphone number so you could call him whenever and wherever you were in his jurisdiction. Or at the VERY least have made coordination to meet him at the same place, same time the next day so that you could participate in American police officer 'experience' all over again.

I'm sure that would have been suitably appreciated.

Last edited:

MSG Laigaie

Campaign Veteran
WSP was an irritation and he kind of got the idea we were arguing with each other and he was incidental. Maybe this is why he gave up and walked away. The fact that he was WRONG was also just incidental.

Bucks Gun Shop

So good to see that I am not the only one with a "Lori"... Why is it that no matter what, I'm always the one that did something wrong????? :)

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
In the beginning, before my other half saw the light, after a verbal challenge was served against me by her in no uncertain terms, I would solve that problem by returning directly home. Then I would say, "We can talk calmly and rationally about the problem w/o personal attacks or there will be no conversation."

I will neither be embarrassed nor distracted when a situation demands my full attention.

As I said that was before she saw the light - she has learned a lot, carries 24/7 and we discuss the hows and whys rationally - and yes I listen to her. Her opinions and feelings are important to me, very important.

SpyderTattoo

That's funny, my wife (when I'm stopped by the cops like, in this instance) says, "Here we go..." then walks away. She thinks it's embarrassing and only wishes to remove herself from the area.

The funniest part is, whenever guns come up at the lunch table, at her job, she schools everyone around here on what WA state laws are. The guys where she works are always having to stick their feet in their mouth's when she calls them on their legal knowlege. :D

smn

You need to learn and practice the five magic words when a cop starts asking questions when you're doing legal activities: "Am I free to go?"

Ask (repeatedly) until you get a yes or no.

If you get a yes then reply "I wish to end this conversation" and walk away.

If not then invoke your fifth amendment right to keep quiet and if you say anything else it better be, "I refuse to answer any questions without my lawyer present."

The more questions you answer the more he's gonna do it to others. When you stand up for your rights you stand up for everyone's.

AlexMayhem

I've had two experiences with WSP. The first was a stop for speeding and I was concealed at the time. I informed him, he took my firearm and ran me through the wringer, even taking out some gadget to test if my window tinting was legal. When he let me go he returned my Kimber TLE RL/II disassembled.
The last encounter was much better, had a turn signal that wasn't working so upon approach I immediately let him know I was OC. He ran my background over the radio next to my door but I got to retain my firearm. Me and the gf ended up talking to him for well over half an hour.
I think WSP or any SP is more likely to be hit or miss because they have the highway with lots of different faces than a cop that patrols the same neighborhoods day in and day out.

X-
Kozak

smn

In GA we have a unanimous 2008 Supreme Court decision State v Jones which ended like this:
Georgia decisions agree that in order to justify a search of a vehicle for weapons, some conduct on the part of the occupants such as furtive movements or other indications of danger to the officer must be shown, and the officer must have an "objectively reasonable" belief that the occupants of a vehicle are "potentially dangerous." Silva v. State, 278 Ga. 506, 508 (604 SE2d 171) (2004) (driver leaned under seat as if to conceal weapon and drove recklessly while in that position, then offered implausible explanation for his conduct.) Here, no evidence was presented of furtive movements or danger; in fact, the officer candidly acknowledged that the search was merely his standard procedure because any firearm might be stolen. On its face, as noted by Jones, this policy justifies the search of any vehicle occupied by hunters or sport shooters with their firearms, or any pickup truck with a rifle or shotgun on the rear window rack. This is precisely the danger of "carte blanche authority to `secure' all weapons during a routine traffic stop," noted by the special concurrence in Megesi, supra, 277 Ga. App. at 860.

The State also argues that Jones consented to the seizure of his rifle. But "t is well settled that acquiescence cannot substitute for free consent. [Cits.]" Corley v. State, 236 Ga. App. 302, 306-307 (1) (b) (512 SE2d 41) (1999). Accordingly, we conclude that the trial court properly granted Jones's motion to suppress.

If the officer doesn't ask about weapons don't tell him you have one. You never know what kind of mood he's in and we know not all LEO have favorable opinions on citizens exercising their 2A rights.

The 2A was around a long time before the concept of "officer safety."

sudden valley gunner

Good job John!!

I wonder if it's the same trooper I had a negative encounter with several years ago. (The only one I have ever had with a trooper, he might live in Sudden Valley). If you have his name or badge number it might be good to file a complaint with the station.

My story encounter wasn't OC related so I'll tell ya about it at coffee, sometime. :lol:

My ex never got it and was always the "cooperate" type. My love now didn't at first but after some time has come to appreciate it. And even refused to to give an officer some info when he went to her and tried to ask questions about me. So proud!

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Good job John!!

I wonder if it's the same trooper I had a negative encounter with several years ago. (The only one I have ever had with a trooper, he might live in Sudden Valley). If you have his name or badge number it might be good to file a complaint with the station.

My story encounter wasn't OC related so I'll tell ya about it at coffee, sometime. :lol:

My ex never got it and was always the "cooperate" type. My love now didn't at first but after some time has come to appreciate it. And even refused to to give an officer some info when he went to her and tried to ask questions about me. So proud!

Good coverage at 6 o'clock helps in protecting your 12. :lol:

amlevin

I think WSP or any SP is more likely to be hit or miss because they have the highway with lots of different faces than a cop that patrols the same neighborhoods day in and day out.

X-
Kozak

There are only two places in WA that I've ever had a negative encounter (putting that pesky speeding ticket aside) with a WSP Trooper and in all it was just "attitude". One is in the Olympia area where all the FNG's are put on patrol for their finish training and way out in the "pucker-brush" where their disciplinary problems are sent before they force them to resign.

Haven't been stopped since I retired but when I was driving 60-70 thousand miles per year for work the law of averages caught up every year or so. I wasn't a "trucker" and my employer didn't know/give a care that I carried yet no problems with any of those stops. NEVER disarmed.

Last edited: