Results 1 to 13 of 13

Thread: security plan for my church

  1. #1
    Regular Member nemo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Winchester, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    272

    security plan for my church

    I have been asked to help write a security plan for our church, and I have a draft. In order not to overlook any detail, and in order not to re-invent any wheels, I thought that it would be helpful to review any existing plans that may be around. If you have such a security plan for your own church, or for any other facility, that you would not mind sharing with me, then I would like to review it to see what I can learn from it. If you will PM me, I can send you my email, so you can keep things out of the public eye. TIA.

  2. #2
    Regular Member ProShooter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA
    Posts
    4,671
    I don't have a specifc plan to offer, but I can tell you that we have seen a rise in the number of churches that have armed members during services. We've done our gun safety class and Refuse to be a victim class for some churches that were looking to beef up their security and situational awareness.
    James Reynolds

    NRA Certified Firearms Instructor - Pistol, Shotgun, Home Firearms Safety, Refuse To Be A Victim
    Concealed Firearms Instructor for Virginia, Florida & Utah permits.
    NRA Certified Chief Range Safety Officer
    Sabre Red Pepper Spray Instructor
    Glock Certified Armorer
    Instructor Bio - http://proactiveshooters.com/about-us/

  3. #3
    Campaign Veteran skidmark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    North Chesterfield VA
    Posts
    10,682
    No security plan, but a lot of experience and a few questions.

    1 - has an attorney looked over your idea to make sure you are not running afoul of DCJS regs on private security companies?
    2 - what level of proficiency do the folks you will be using have? How often do they drill? What kind of drills? Have they ever drilled with a (simulated) crowd of folks milling about?
    3 - other than the obvious reaction to an active shooter what other security responses are you considering?
    4 - what legal training, if any, are you considering?
    5 - are you willing to risk prior coordination with LEAs in your area? Rescue squads?

    Those 5 ought to keep you occupied for a while. Feel free to PM me if you would like to discuss hands-on assistance.

    stay safe.

  4. #4
    Regular Member nemo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Winchester, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    272
    > Those 5 ought to keep you occupied for a while.

    YIKES! A bunch of things that I had not considered, for sure. Yeah; these will keep me busy.

    > Feel free to PM me if you would like to discuss hands-on assistance.

    Lemme get my feet on the ground in addressing the above and other issues. I am sure that the more that I learn, the more questions that I will have.

    Thanks.

  5. #5
    Accomplished Advocate peter nap's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    13,580
    Quote Originally Posted by nemo View Post
    > Those 5 ought to keep you occupied for a while.

    YIKES! A bunch of things that I had not considered, for sure. Yeah; these will keep me busy.

    > Feel free to PM me if you would like to discuss hands-on assistance.

    Lemme get my feet on the ground in addressing the above and other issues. I am sure that the more that I learn, the more questions that I will have.

    Thanks.
    The first one is easy Nemo. Check with criminal justice and what you'll find is that as long as none of the security detail are paid, you're good to go.

    Also, I'm not sure which church you belong to but if you know any Mormons, they all have very precise security plans. I may be able to put you in touch with someone if you don't know any.

    Last and this just my opinion...don't let security overshadow the church proceedings.

  6. #6
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Pacific Northwest
    Posts
    623
    Quote Originally Posted by peter nap View Post
    Also, I'm not sure which church you belong to but if you know any Mormons, they all have very precise security plans. I may be able to put you in touch with someone if you don't know any.
    Speaking as a Mormon (LDS), and a member of my ward's (congregation's) "Building Maintenance and Security Team", we don't have a specific plan (I am aware of) for dealing with such things as an armed attacker in our meetings. However, when our team was first organized last year (replacing the previous "Building Committee"), our Bishop brought up the subject of carry at church during casual conversation. I and one other member of our 3-man team carry on a regular basis, and we both interpreted the Bishop's comments as sort of a "wink, wink" encouragement to carry at church. (I have carried concealed there using that and personal self defense as my "good and sufficient reason", especially after a Bishop was shot and killed at church last August in California.)

    At church meetings, I keep to CC, but one of my other responsibilities is to check the building three nights a week (making sure it is locked and properly cleaned/taken care of after scheduled activities). When I go to perform those checks, I am always armed, and (unless the building is still in use) OCing.

    Hope that helps a bit.
    Alma 43:47 - "And again, the Lord has said that: Ye shall defend your families even unto bloodshed...."
    Self defense isn't just a good idea, it's a commandment.

  7. #7
    Regular Member nemo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Winchester, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    272
    Quote Originally Posted by ProShooter View Post
    I don't have a specifc plan to offer, but I can tell you that we have seen a rise in the number of churches that have armed members during services. We've done our gun safety class and Refuse to be a victim class for some churches that were looking to beef up their security and situational awareness.
    Jim,

    Thanks. That's a good idea, and I will keep that in mind, for down the road.

  8. #8
    Regular Member nemo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Winchester, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    272
    Quote Originally Posted by peter nap View Post
    The first one is easy Nemo. Check with criminal justice and what you'll find is that as long as none of the security detail are paid, you're good to go.

    Also, I'm not sure which church you belong to but if you know any Mormons, they all have very precise security plans. I may be able to put you in touch with someone if you don't know any.

    Last and this just my opinion...don't let security overshadow the church proceedings.


    Thanks; it is always easy if you know how.

    No. I knew one Mormon, but he got laid off and I don't know where he ended up, though he is likely still in the Winchester area. If you can put me in touch with any Mormon who would be willing to let me review their security plan, I would appreciate it.

    Good point; we had not intended to get TOO paranoid about the whle thing, just a lot more organized.

  9. #9
    Regular Member nemo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Winchester, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    272
    Quote Originally Posted by grylnsmn View Post
    Speaking as a Mormon (LDS), and a member of my ward's (congregation's) "Building Maintenance and Security Team", we don't have a specific plan (I am aware of) for dealing with such things as an armed attacker in our meetings. However, when our team was first organized last year (replacing the previous "Building Committee"), our Bishop brought up the subject of carry at church during casual conversation. I and one other member of our 3-man team carry on a regular basis, and we both interpreted the Bishop's comments as sort of a "wink, wink" encouragement to carry at church. (I have carried concealed there using that and personal self defense as my "good and sufficient reason", especially after a Bishop was shot and killed at church last August in California.)

    At church meetings, I keep to CC, but one of my other responsibilities is to check the building three nights a week (making sure it is locked and properly cleaned/taken care of after scheduled activities). When I go to perform those checks, I am always armed, and (unless the building is still in use) OCing. Hope that helps a bit.

    Gray Lensman! Great books.

    We intend to consider everything from lost tourists up to and including armed attackers, without changing our routine. Thanks for the tips.

  10. #10
    Campaign Veteran skidmark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    North Chesterfield VA
    Posts
    10,682
    Quote Originally Posted by nemo View Post
    snip

    We intend to consider everything from lost tourists up to and including armed attackers, without changing our routine. Thanks for the tips.
    If you didn't you would have big holes in your plan. Remember, "Be polite and be prepared to kill everybody you meet." Most won't need killing, some may not deserve killing, and the rest will not have made an appointment in advance.

    stay safe.

  11. #11
    Accomplished Advocate user's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Northern Piedmont of Virginia
    Posts
    2,373
    Be sure to include the most common sorts of problems - medical emergencies/seizures/obstructed airways, etc.; electrical fires; and what about bad weather, tornadoes, earthquakes, and stuff? It's not just about badguys.
    Daniel L. Hawes - 540 347 2430 - HTTP://www.VirginiaLegalDefense.com

    By the way, nothing I say on this website as "user" should be taken as either advertising for attorney services or legal advice, merely personal opinion. Everyone having a question regarding the application of law to the facts of their situation should seek the advice of an attorney competent in the subject matter of the issues presented and licensed to practice in the relevant state.

  12. #12
    Regular Member nemo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Winchester, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    272
    Quote Originally Posted by user View Post
    Be sure to include the most common sorts of problems - medical emergencies/seizures/obstructed airways, etc.; electrical fires; and what about bad weather, tornadoes, earthquakes, and stuff? It's not just about badguys.
    Good point; thanks.

    This is the kind of feedback that I hoped for. I did not want to write something in isolation, then learn after the fact that I had overlooked all kinds of obvious things.

  13. #13
    Activist Member nuc65's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Lynchburg, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    1,121
    Quote Originally Posted by nemo View Post
    Good point; thanks.

    This is the kind of feedback that I hoped for. I did not want to write something in isolation, then learn after the fact that I had overlooked all kinds of obvious things.
    As a first responder at work the largest hole we found was the reporting and logging of any incidents. We have a form and have had discussions all the way from HIPPA to missing manhole covers. Posting information on bulletin boards on who to contact for first aid and who is responsible for what is helpful.

    A method of instantly texting all cell phones on the 'team' is one method we use as well as email alerts and instant messaging. We also have radios but have found that they are only as good as the people who use them. It is surprising to note how many people require training in the proper use of a radio, like push to talk (PTT) and let go if you want somebody to answer you. Even turning it on has proven to be a challenge for some people.

    QC, QC K---MS would be way beyond (scrubbed for privacy, if you want to know PM yours).
    When I carry a gun, I don't do so because I am looking for a fight, but because I'm looking to be left alone. The gun at my side means that I cannot be forced, only persuaded. I don't carry it because I'm afraid, but because it enables me to be unafraid. It doesn't limit the actions of those who would interact with me through reason, only the actions of those who would do so by force.

    excerpt By Marko Kloos (http://munchkinwrangler.wordpress.com/?s=major+caudill)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •