• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Caddo Parrish Sheriff thinks OC is dangerous.

KBCraig

I don't know Prator personally, but he's spent his entire career in Shreveport. He started as an officer with Shreveport PD in the early '70s, and worked his way up to chief. He retired as chief in '99 and ran for sheriff. He ran for Congress, too.

I don't know if he shares the sentiment of his captain, or not.

MR Redenck

"It invites trouble. Usually that's the first person the bad guy is going to go after."

Has anybody ever bothered to prove that statement. Im not one to carry a handgun hardly at all, but I do pay close attention to what goes on. I have never read anything about a criminal attacking the open carrier first. Never heard such a thing.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Was it the Sheriff or his Cpl that made the statement?

Cpl. Jim Dunn with the Caddo Parish Sheriff's Office explains why that is not always a good idea.......

Problem is until refuted he becomes representative of the department by the public.

sraacke

Replied and posted under the article. I am Cellblock776. explination because someone always asks-> I am a former State Corrections Officer hence "Cellblock" and the prison I worked at is in St Gabriel, La which has a zip code of 70776. Early on in my internet days I used Cellblock776 for nearly all my email and forum screen names. It's still around and I use it for some things.

Venator

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
Cpl. Jim Dunn with the Caddo Parish Sheriff's Office explains why that is not always a good idea.......

Problem is until refuted he becomes representative of the department by the public.

Perhaps, but it wasn't the sheriff. The Cpl can be corrected by the sheriff, the Sheriff means what the sheriff says.

oldman45

I know Steve Prator and even had a photo of he and myself together shown in a law enfocement magazine article about 16 years ago.

He is PRO gun and does not care if one carries openly. The Sheriff's Department found it to be a convenience to the citizens of the Parish to offer concealed weapons permit classes. A person gets finger printed, photographed, papers notarized and the classroom instruction all at one place and for a reasonable fee. Their instructors are well versed in the law and firearms. Their training facility is ideal for the classes.

I stopped talking to the media since they edit what is said to make it appear I said something totally different. The media misconstrues pro gun peopleat every opportunity.

Prator knows open carry does not invite being shot and he knows it is the law in Louisiana.

bkajun06

"It invites trouble. Usually that's the first person the bad guy is going to go after."

Has anybody ever bothered to prove that statement. Im not one to carry a handgun hardly at all, but I do pay close attention to what goes on. I have never read anything about a criminal attacking the open carrier first. Never heard such a thing.

Actually I just saw something on youtube where someone was open carrying and some black guy (no pun intended) robbed him of his firearm at gunpoint.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior

Actually I just saw something on youtube where someone was open carrying and some black guy (no pun intended) robbed him of his firearm at gunpoint.

The have been two (2) such incidence reported.

One in northern Virginia where a man was robbed and his CCd gun also taken - a CCd gun is hardly OC.

The other was a man that regularly OCd and was robbed and his gun taken. This incident has become highly suspect and it appears the man in question may even have orchestrated the entire event.

Whether true or not, the number of OCers attacked, robbed or worse when translated to a ratio relating to the odds of being a victim of violence while OCing is generally roughly equivalent to .00001% or less.

Those are odds with which I will most willing embrace the practice of OCing.