• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Why I carry (sex offender moving in)

protias

I was just notified by Sussex police a registered sex offender is moving in nearby (next door actually). He had served time for having sex with underage girls he knew (family acquaintances). And people will probably still ask me why I carry...

Edit: Actually, it wasn't that he had sex with them, but that he inappropriately touched all three of them and had one touch him. He was 18 and the ages of the two girls and one boy were between 12-15.

Last edited:

Badger Johnson

Are you going to go over and introduce yourself while OC-ing? Serve notice, as it were.

protias

Are you going to go over and introduce yourself while OC-ing? Serve notice, as it were.
I will not. I just hope he doesn't come over into the neighborhood as he is not to have any unsupervised contact with minors (unless approved by the DOC).

GLOCK21GB

Campaign Veteran
I thought you couldn't use that information to intimidate an offender... Again, I could be wrong...

What if the sex offender pulls out his "gun" when going to introduce your self while OC ? I say Open carry party at Protias's house SOON. :) invite some bikers too....

Last edited:

theoicarry

Actually we cannot do that as it is considered harassment. You have to remember these people are curred or rehabilitated and deserve the opportunity to do it one more time, or three, or four, until caught again. It is OK as they are not in my neighborhood!!!!!!!!!!! For Now!

protias

I thought you couldn't use that information to intimidate an offender... Again, I could be wrong...
Well, since I am only "allowed" to OC...
What if the sex offender pulls out his "gun" when going to introduce your self while OC ? I say Open carry party at Protias's house SOON. :) invite some bikers too....
I've been thinking of having one at my house for some time (since Mr. Gregg's, and then last year's issue). Perhaps it will happen this year. We'll see.

MR Redenck

In Arizona, children can also carry,in public, while accompanied by their parents. "I think" they can also carry on their property.
I saw a little girl about 7 years old with a gun on her hip out there. I started laughin and her mother asked what was funny. " I said nothing say's stay away you POS pervert like a little girl with a gun"... I love it..!

wrightme

Actually we cannot do that as it is considered harassment. You have to remember these people are curred or rehabilitated
While I do detect a tone of sarcasm, the "these people are cured or rehabilitated" isn't even a starter from the LE side of it. Otherwise, they would not use the "scarlet letter" for them and track them forever. 'Sex Offender' is one label that is virtually permanent.

Outdoorsman1

While I do detect a tone of sarcasm, the "these people are cured or rehabilitated" isn't even a starter from the LE side of it. Otherwise, they would not use the "scarlet letter" for them and track them forever. 'Sex Offender' is one label that is virtually permanent.

If the shoe fits.....

Outdoorsman

AaronS

What I still don't get is that I have to stay 1000 feet away from a school zone, but we let pervs. move right next to the school...
So the fear is that I MIGHT do a dumb thing with a gun, but we just give the pervs. the green light...? Who the hell came up with that?

MR Redenck

A few years ago, Texas was amending some laws involving sex offenders. One of the news stations asked me what d oI think needs to be done.
I said " Kill em"! Rapists, and child offenders need the death penality upon the first conviction.
Everybody claimed I am mean and inhumane! :eek:

AaronS

A few years ago, Texas was amending some laws involving sex offenders. One of the news stations asked me what d oI think needs to be done.
I said " Kill em"! Rapists, and child offenders need the death penality upon the first conviction.
Everybody claimed I am mean and inhumane! :eek:

If I was 18, and she was 17, should I still be "killed"? This kind of thing can and does put you on the same list.

I don't have any issue at all with the death penality, but we need to watch how we use it. With this in mind, I would guess around 10% should not get the death penality. As for the rest, yea, chop 'em into bits! If you can't fix them, put them down.

kawisixer01

"Sex offender" is also a tag that is used for a pretty wide brush stroke as well. The guy caught taking a leak in an alley after a drunken night at the bar can be charged as a sex offender. I personally know of two guys that were with girls all through middle and high school, that were a year older than their gf's. The girls ended up prego in high school and the boys nearly the same age as them ended up in prison and labeled sex offenders. One guy even still married the girl after the stuff her parents put him through. Although the term "sex offender" gives me the chills and gives me pause. I have learned to research the case before you go making broad judgement.

Last edited:

MKEgal

Badger Johnson said:
Just working around the yard should be sufficient, and cannot possibly be misconstrued as intimidation or harassment, esp. if nothing is said or done to the... um... (I'm trying to think of something non-judgmental to say here) new neighbor.

glock34 said:
I say Open carry party at Protias's house SOON.
My very thought.
Joseph, got a grill? We can arrange who will bring charcoal, food, plates, drinks, etc.

Heck, have the OCers with food in the back yard starting at 11, and invite the neighborhood starting at 1 for the party, playing frisbee and such in the front yard. Might get a lot of new WCI members & people interested in taking safety training & starting to protect themselves & their families.

And if the new neighbor happens to see one of the fliers talking about an "open carry party" and "learn about your right to protect your family" information being offered at the party, maybe he'll behave himself near home.

(I'm assuming everyone else in the neighborhood was also notified of this new arrival, so there's no need to mention him anywhere in the party announcement. In fact, doing so could come under harassment & intimidation, and we wouldn't want that.)

MKEgal

kawisixer01 said:
"Sex offender" is also a tag that is used for a pretty wide brush stroke as well... I have learned to research the case before you go making broad judgement.
From the OP:
protias said:
He had served time for having sex with underage girls he knew (family acquaintances).
I think the label fits. More than one occurrence, convicted by a court, served time.

I, too, know someone who served time because his girlfriend was too young (he was maybe 2-3 years older?), and her parents were fine with everything they did (including him sleeping over at their house, in her bedroom, with her) until she got pregnant.

Then he was stupid enough to talk with the cops. They had nothing to convict him on until he admitted their relationship & actions. He's labelled for the rest of his life, too, though I would have absolutely no problem with him living in my home or having contact with any children. Make that any person, whatsoever.

I think the statutory rape laws need to be changed somehow to take into account relationships that are close in age, and consensual. If it's an adult who coerces a child, even a teen, that's wrong. But if they're within maybe 18 months or 2 years of each other's age, it shouldn't be a crime.

(I'm leaving the "you shouldn't be having sex at that age" and the "you shouldn't have sex until you're married" arguments completely out of the equation. Those are moral judgments, to be made & enforced by the parents. In the case of my friend, the parents were fine with everything until she got pregnant. Hypocrites.)

Last edited:

MR Redenck

If I was 18, and she was 17, should I still be "killed"? This kind of thing can and does put you on the same list.

I don't have any issue at all with the death penality, but we need to watch how we use it. With this in mind, I would guess around 10% should not get the death penality. As for the rest, yea, chop 'em into bits! If you can't fix them, put them down.

I actually know someone who had that problem and im glad they beat it too.
Do you not understand what a Child predator and a rapist is? Far from what a couple of consenting kids would be if only a year difference in age.

protias

Actually, it wasn't that he had sex with them, but that he inappropriately touched all three of them and had one touch him. He was 18 and the ages of the two girls and one boy were between 12-15.