• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Denied background check with a cwp.

RM1

In few words,

I'm a legal resident alien in Florida,just got my CWP 5 days ago and was trying to purchase my first firearm 2 days ago from Bass Pro shop in Dania Beach,Fl. After submitting the background check with FDLE it came back "Denied" ,the store gave me an appeal letter which i filled out ,got my fingerprints done by the local Police dept and sent it back, i contacted FDLE to find out what happened ? i never been arrested whatsoever, they told me because i'm not a US citizen they have to do an "extensive" background check?

i said i just got my CWP,the dept of agriculture would have never gave it to me if i had any kind of criminal history ,they said they have nothing to do with that. Well ,everybody says with a CWP u don't have to wait to buy a new firearm! in my case its not even wait the 5 days waiting period like non CWP but i have to appeal and wait between 6 to 8 weeks to get an answer in the mail??? what is that???

It's a complete non sense to me. I'm currently a CWP holder without firearm!!! How funny it is?
I went on FDLE website spent another $24 to get my criminal history and find out what qualified my denial ! and you know what? NO criminal records!
This is ridiculous ,i was at Bass Pro shop with friends and when the store said you denied from criminal background check you should have seen the faces around me! come on what is this procedure? and this non sense timeframe to get an answer from Tallahassee in 6 to 8 weeks!

I guess i don't have any other choices but to wait...

I forgot! beside of that ,you can walk in a gun show and go out with a firearm !!!
Waouw! this is ridiculous.

Thanks for reading me.

Proud NRA Member and CWP holder BUT without firearm.

j4l

It's not only criminal records that can jam it up. Not sure which of the other checks,but yes, I'd def. demand an answer. Also-double-check credit history and bank acct for any funky activitiy. Sometimes identity thefts can be a factor, in which financial acivity done in your name-even if U didnt do it-can interfere with things like this.

~*'Phoenix'*~

Sorry to hear about that, luckily I haven't run into one of these issues, and all the guns I've bought were from FFL's.
You can always buy via personal sale, but still you should take action to see this fully resolved in a timely manner.
Unfortunately, problems that are their fault still fall on us to fix...

carry for myself

i would call the Florida Headquarters of the FBI. Ask to speak to the NICS unit. they are incharge of 99% of the FFL purchases in the country. ask for a U-PIN form. fill it out send it back. that will directly link all of your files to the FBI and you should clear easily.

brboyer

i would call the Florida Headquarters of the FBI. Ask to speak to the NICS unit. they are incharge of 99% of the FFL purchases in the country. ask for a U-PIN form. fill it out send it back. that will directly link all of your files to the FBI and you should clear easily.

Incorrect.

In Florida, FDLE does the 'Brady'/NICS checks. The OP is following the correct course of action.

In reality, the FBI only does about 40% of firearms background checks nationwide.

Scouts_Out

Same thing happened to me when I bought my first firearm. They said something about my name being "too common", and that someone with my same first and last name wasn't allowed to buy guns. Beats me why they don't check by SSN. It took me over a month to finally be able to pick up the gun.

By the way, once you get approved, you will receive a package to allow FDLE or the FBI (don't remember) to keep your records, which they can only do with your consent, so that the same thing doesn't happen to you on future purchases.

I eliminated the problem by telling the gun stores to include my second last name when they call for the background check.

Last edited:

77zach

Same thing happened to me when I bought my first firearm. They said something about my name being "too common", and that someone with my same first and last name wasn't allowed to buy guns. Beats me why they don't check by SSN. It took me over a month to finally be able to pick up the gun.

By the way, once you get approved, you will receive a package to allow FDLE or the FBI (don't remember) to keep your records, which they can only do with your consent, so that the same thing doesn't happen to you on future purchases.

I eliminated the problem by telling the gun stores to include my second last name when they call for the background check.

Which is funny because they say if you include your SS# there won't be any ambiguity. Mmmmmm. This background check crap needs to be eliminated. We need to stop pretending that it is anything more than a trifling inconvenience for the criminally disposed and an assault on our rights. I'm talking to you, NRA.

Last edited:

ixtow

Founder's Club Member
My last name looks like a typo of a much more common last name. If the flunky on the other end of the phone doesn't type it right, or they think they're going to 'fix' it, I get denied every time.

Apparently, there's a guy with the same DOB and First name, and one letter different last name who is a felon.

I do my best to circumvent this broken system. It costs me tons of time and money almost every time I try to buy from a Licensed Dealer; so I don't.

Sometimes it helps to hang up and call back again, like dealing with any other incompetent Customer Service...