• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

open carry - traveling through Va on vacation next month

bed92186

traveling through Va on vacation next month. Will be traveling I 81 corridor. Are there any anti open carry agencies along that route county wise? I have a SC CWP which does have reciprocity with your stae.

Dreamer

Most of the Western Counties of VA are pretty OC-friendly from my experience. Depending on how far north on I-81 you are going though, you may be careful when you get to WV. Although OC is legal in WV, and the Eastern Panhandle is OK for OC from my experience, it is VERY easy to accidentally cross the boarder into the Peoples Republic of Maryland in that area--where carry of ANY kind is flat-out forbidden...

If you keep going north though, OC is 100% legal in PA.

Just watch out for those "Now Entering Maryland" signs...

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
If you see a "Now Entering Maryland" sign it is too late.

OC is well tolerated along I-81, based on my limited experiences. You might get some stares from tourists, but a smile goes a long way towards keeping them calm. Just remember that Cracker Barrel has recently become unfriendly towards firearms owners. But there are lots of other, local, places to stop and eat, buy souveniers, and for other necessary activities.

If you know your itinerary and specific dates, you might want to post a separate thread seeing if there is any interest in a meet & greet.

stay safe.

Brian D.

My next trip involves traveling US 23 thru southeast Ky. and into that part of Virginia it crosses. I'm halfway expecting to see one or more open carriers, you guys seem to be about the best OC state extant! :)

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
My next trip involves traveling US 23 thru southeast Ky. and into that part of Virginia it crosses. I'm halfway expecting to see one or more open carriers, you guys seem to be about the best OC state extant! :)

Ky. may disappoint you Brian. It's another former part of Va. that used poor judgment when the great war came around.

When you cross into Va, that will be a part of the state that has always OC'ed so they don't make a big show of it. Many just have a rifle or shotgun. I'm typing this with a 12ga/.308 sitting next to me. My 44 is in my pack.

Enjoy your trip!

Skeptic

Founder's Club Member
If you see a "Now Entering Maryland" sign it is too late.

OC is well tolerated along I-81, based on my limited experiences. You might get some stares from tourists, but a smile goes a long way towards keeping them calm. Just remember that Cracker Barrel has recently become unfriendly towards firearms owners. But there are lots of other, local, places to stop and eat, buy souveniers, and for other necessary activities.

If you know your itinerary and specific dates, you might want to post a separate thread seeing if there is any interest in a meet & greet.

stay safe.
Once I heard about Cracker Barrel I ventured further off I-81 in Winchester area. I had an entirely neutral OC encounter at Papermill Place Diner in Winchester. Neutral as in no one even noticed or bothered to mention, the one person I had any interaction with besides the waitresses was more interested in my new phone/camera and my kids, and never even glanced at or mentioned my weapon.

Also tried Valley Ave Diner the next time through. I was not OC there, but neither was it posted that I saw.

Last edited: