Thread: how can the NM constitution say one thing, and the law another?

how can the NM constitution say one thing, and the law another?

i was looking at the map on here, and reading the text for the NM state constitution, and it says, "No law shall abridge the right of the citizen to keep and bear arms for security and defense, for lawful hunting and recreational use and for other lawful purposes, but nothing herein shall be held to permit the carrying of concealed weapons."

so how can they prohibit us from carrying openly in a place that sells alcohol?

in fact- it's kinda the opposite- we have to CC in those places..

am i making sense?
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

doubt is a distraction from reality. fear is acknowledging doubt as reality.

it's time to tap in to a higher reality; the one you were made for.

You make perfect sense.

Sadly, politicians and lawyers (often one in the same) make a good living obfuscating what should be perfectly clear laws.

Quote Originally Posted by hammer6 View Post
    i was looking at the map on here, and reading the text for the NM state constitution, and it says, "No law shall abridge the right of the citizen to keep and bear arms for security and defense, for lawful hunting and recreational use and for other lawful purposes, but nothing herein shall be held to permit the carrying of concealed weapons."

am i making sense?
    Is that anything like "...shall not be infringed."

None of the other laws make any sense, why should this one?

If this was a facebook post......

Quote Originally Posted by jamesb View Post
    is that anything like "...shall not be infringed."

none of the other laws make any sense, why should this one?
    it would have a zillion likes by now!

Reading through some court cases, the judges seem to think that the legislature has some sort of 'police power' and coupled with a 'substantial government interest' in keeping guns away from alcohol, they can do pretty much whatever they want.

Or, in other words, because they really really really really want to, they can violate the laws that govern their behavior, even to the point of putting on a badge.

But if you or I get the overpowering impulse to exercise police power and bend others to our will down at Wal-Mart or the Pic Quick down the street they'll put us away for a very long time.