• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

how can the NM constitution say one thing, and the law another?

hammer6

i was looking at the map on here, and reading the text for the NM state constitution, and it says, "No law shall abridge the right of the citizen to keep and bear arms for security and defense, for lawful hunting and recreational use and for other lawful purposes, but nothing herein shall be held to permit the carrying of concealed weapons."

so how can they prohibit us from carrying openly in a place that sells alcohol?

in fact- it's kinda the opposite- we have to CC in those places..

am i making sense?

KBCraig

You make perfect sense.

Sadly, politicians and lawyers (often one in the same) make a good living obfuscating what should be perfectly clear laws.

JamesB

i was looking at the map on here, and reading the text for the NM state constitution, and it says, "No law shall abridge the right of the citizen to keep and bear arms for security and defense, for lawful hunting and recreational use and for other lawful purposes, but nothing herein shall be held to permit the carrying of concealed weapons."

am i making sense?

Is that anything like "...shall not be infringed."

None of the other laws make any sense, why should this one?

PracticalTactical

Reading through some court cases, the judges seem to think that the legislature has some sort of 'police power' and coupled with a 'substantial government interest' in keeping guns away from alcohol, they can do pretty much whatever they want.

Or, in other words, because they really really really really want to, they can violate the laws that govern their behavior, even to the point of putting on a badge.

But if you or I get the overpowering impulse to exercise police power and bend others to our will down at Wal-Mart or the Pic Quick down the street they'll put us away for a very long time.